Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Membership/SPAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 14 Sep 2011 05:53

Hi Phil

To stop this SPAM that is appearing on Success Stories:

Do not allow non paying members to post on any board

On joining GR ask for ID, such as NI number or such

Just a suggestion, but at the moment GR are relying on it's 'paying' customers to moderate the board which I find is unacceptable really. Where most people don't mind helping out, it shouldnt be a 'norm'

Can you let us know what action GR is taking on this issue please?

Cheers Phil

Ginny

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2011 06:59

Good idea

I spend a lot of time between about 8 pm UK time and 6 or 7 am checking the Success board, and reporting these threads ............ along with at least one other person, also obviously an overseas member!

These spam messages present a horrible introduction to GR for new members, or new readers of the Success board.

sylvia

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 14 Sep 2011 08:51

Presumably the person or people who are making these posts must be registered as members of GR either paying or non-paying. Since GR claims to have in excess of 10 million members it must be assumed that GR has the registration details of all of them to be able to make such a claim.

It is an unfortunate fact that in every aspect of life there are always a few who appear to take perverse delight in disrupting the legitimate pleasure of the many. As Sylvia states, seeing such posts does not convey a picture of a well organised and well managed site.

Is it asking too much for GR to take steps to permanently remove from its membership those who make such posts?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Sep 2011 09:40

Perhaps if the whole posting , title and text, is removed when REPORT is pressed we wouldn't be left waiting for the rest to be manually removed in the morning ?

I did ask if this could be implemented to prevent personal details in the title left showing once a thread has been reported.
How much easier to "zap" the entire message leaving the Title saying " This message has been reported"
Not rocket science ? Spam erased in seconds.

As yet no reply from Phil

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 14 Sep 2011 15:43

Phil,

Thanks for taking steps to rid the GR site from these undesirables.

Gee

Gee Report 14 Sep 2011 16:10

What makes me laugh is, do they really think that SPAMING all their wares will make people buy their services!

Numpties

Too right Lindsey regarding the title of the thread, whats the point in leaving it there if its been reported :-S

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2011 01:17

Ahhh sorry Sylv but I do not live overseas...well overseas from you :-D

I'm normally around til 5 o6 am

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2011 01:32

:-D

I realised after posting that, that it was probably you!

I do know that you're a late bird!!

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2011 03:34

:-D :-D

Yep I'm still up