Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rename this board

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Apr 2012 19:07

I know, I know, put up a suggestions box or ask for suggestions and it is pretty inevitable that someone will suggest that you go away, usually using Anglo Saxon vernacular.

When I view the posts on this board about 95% of them are not really suggestions at all. They are complaints about malfunctioning or non functioning parts of the site. That in itself is quite understandable as the site does indeed appear to have more than its fair share of such situations. I do however have doubts that reporting the problems on a board that is supposed to be the place for suggesting changes to the site and which GR acknowledges will not be responded to individually is the best way to notify GR of the sites current problems.

Perhaps it would be better to continually bombard the appropriate section of GR by email detailing the fault(s). There is of course no guarantee that the current problems will get fixed any quicker or that others will not occur but at least the complainants would have the satisfaction of knowing that GR was constantly being made directly aware rather than hoping that someone in a position to try to resolve the problem was bothering to read the Suggestions board.

The alternative would be to rename this board, "Complaints"

Just a suggestion. :-D

Kense

Kense Report 2 Apr 2012 19:13

I quite agree Jonsey.

Emaills do get a response in 24 hours even if it is unsatisfactory, whereas this board only gets read occasionally by GR staff.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Apr 2012 20:57

It has already been suggested weeks ago that there be a new board, headed Complaints

probably back about page 10 or 50 by now :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Apr 2012 21:07

Complete waste of time sending messages to the support team as you get the standard reply asking what system are you using etc.

They simply do not bother to read any messages even when you reply to them time and time again asking if they did actually read what you asked them in the first place.

Kense

Kense Report 2 Apr 2012 21:57

"What makes you think they only read it occasionally ? That they do not often post?"

No, the general impression I get is of a small team who are currently overloaded with work. I wouldn't expect them to have time to sift through all the complaints on here, most of which say the same things that they (should) already know about. I would like to think that one person is tasked with checking this board every day but I doubt that is the case.

Email contacts on the other hand have to be read and replied to and there is a team to deal with them.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Apr 2012 22:11

But they do not read them !!!!

Sent:
When are the Team willing to post on the Announcement Board as to what problems they are trying to sort out, such as error messages and My Threads not working, so that members can see that the issues are actually being looked at and dealt with.

How many times does an error message have to be logged before the Team start to sort out the problem?

Some of the problems have been around for months.

Reply:
I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing some problems on the site recently. Could you confirm exactly what is happening.
I will need the full step by step details of what you are clicking on, along with any error message you receive.

Could you please also confirm which operating system and internet browser you are using, e.g. Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.

This information will help us to try and solve this for you.

Further replies did not get a straight answer either

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Apr 2012 00:24

I suggested weeks ago that there should be a "Complaints" board, and got negative responses.

I still think there should be a Complaints board, three reasons -

we can see that other people are having similar problems (we all thought at one stage "it's just me")

(maybe) GR would read the postings

The Suggestions board will stay as suggestions (all the complaints are getting lost in there)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Apr 2012 00:26

I forgot to add that I DO send emails to GR

When I send emails to GR I add the line - DON'T SEND ME A GENERIC REPLY