Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search facility

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Aug 2012 21:08

Advanced Search

Can you please explain what is the purpose of selecting "Forum" ?

If you do not know which board the thread is on how can you use the Forum selection?

Quick Search is useless as it produces threads which are not in date order

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Aug 2012 21:13

I agree GB.

It would be better to have an option to search 'all' forums, otherwise you have to go through each board separately. Very time consuming. Cx

jax

jax Report 1 Aug 2012 21:17

At least you can do an advanced search without putting the boardname in, so really its like the keyword search which has now gone from the top of each board.

The quick search also will also repeat threads

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Aug 2012 21:17

selecting Forum could help some IF they new what board to look on however their is no option to select "all forums" so you would have to repeat your search 8 times to cover all Forum's

Roy

jax

jax Report 1 Aug 2012 21:20

Also if there are more than 40 threads you are stuffed :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Aug 2012 17:42

Quick search needs some work

Posted on a thread less than 30 mins ago and I thought I would try out a quick search on the surname which is part of the thread title.

Got 119 search results in no particular date order and not the one I had posted on

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2012 19:13

I don't get it, if I put in adv search the full title of a thread

"Do the birds know bird watch thread " on page 4 on General at the moment, it comes up, however if I just put "Do the birds" or "birds" then it doesn't come up at all :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Aug 2012 23:26

really do need that option of All Forums ................. which did used to be there!

I tried to find a thread about 30 minutes ago .................. it was from a couple of years ago, and I could not remember the Forum it had been on.

BTW .................... are we now supposed to be calling the Boards "Forums" ???????????????????????????

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2012 00:00

:-D

Kense

Kense Report 18 Aug 2012 15:32

Until they change it to have the option to search for all boards, couldn't they make the default something other than Announcements? Preferably Find Ancestors.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Aug 2012 22:00

Could the "Search for Author" be altered to include the option of board name

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Aug 2012 07:55

Could it just work properly ????? :-(

Joy

Joy Report 24 Aug 2012 09:09

:( .

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Aug 2012 07:38

IF the plural of Datum is DATA...........

should the plural of Forum be Fora?

Bob

Kense

Kense Report 31 Aug 2012 08:25

Yes if you are speaking Latin, no if you are speaking English.