Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family history events - put on the home page

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 12 Aug 2012 12:20

There are several Family History events in UK each year. The only one that gets any real advertising promotion is the one Feb each year in London.
Most years I go but.....

Would be very useful to have the venues and dates on GR home page of whats going on.
I've often thought about going to Manchester but never know when it is on. :-0 :-0

Catherine

Catherine Report 12 Aug 2012 13:06

I second that NanaSue. Such information would be very useful indeed.
Catherine

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Aug 2012 16:35

You might get requests from members not in the UK requesting lists of their events!

:-D :-D

Catherine

Catherine Report 12 Aug 2012 18:54

Well I would have done but as it is .co.uk I thought it would be a waste of time for British users however I shall ask for the info relative to where I live on the .fr site ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2012 18:54

Good idea ................

............... bot ONLY if they remove something that is already on the page.

I find it messy and crowded now, even though they have supposedly cleaned it up.

There is still too much

Discussions could go, for one thing :-D

I see no reason why, say, a block of space could not be reserved for such notices ............. including major events in other countries.

sylvia

Catherine

Catherine Report 12 Aug 2012 19:02

Actually I said I'd ask but I was thinking about ancestry.fr - not genes.fr. :-S The site where I get my genealogy software from sends out such info regularly in its newsletters and it is very helpful.
Catherine

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Aug 2012 20:36

No

Just google

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Aug 2012 02:35

Sign in with genes uk, au, za or whatever, you get the same home page.

I agree Sylvia, it's cluttered. Especially the large space with "you have X messages" and "you have X unread hotmatches".... and I've already read the messages and hotmatches. The HotMatches & Messages are on the toolbar, so this extra notice is just daft.

:-(

Catherine

Catherine Report 13 Aug 2012 08:53

Scozz I am sorry - no, there is no genes.fr
I thought I had been clear when I said I was thinking of the Ancestry home page not that of Genes Reunited.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Aug 2012 11:44

In the meantime...

http://geneva.weald.org.uk/

Includes non UK.....Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Chris

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Aug 2012 20:22

Thank you very much for that link Chris. Much appreciated :-)
Catherine