Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestion: RECORDS

Page 0 + 1 of 3

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Barry Report 14 Jun 2013 12:42

The site is now no longer user friendly! If I enter a name I can get 100's but no way of sorting into logical census order - like we used to be able to do. Also, when viewing a census page and a member of the family that you are researching is at the top of the page - why can we not now go to the previous page to view other siblings, parents etc? Most dissatisfied with this latest 'improvement'.


Judith Report 12 Jun 2013 18:14

Please go back to your earlier site - it was much easier to navigate and get records; I don't like this at all! :-( :-(


Lavinia Report 9 Jun 2013 14:54

Having paid my subscription to G.R. would like to view my tree, but after waiting at least three quarters of an hour unable to view, tried several times, having been a member for several years think this is a very poor show.
Lavinia Cooke


Roger Report 10 May 2013 23:08

Well I have just been reading this again - and I notice that a reply about GR not been able to make correction because they did not transcribe the records in the first place but FMP did.

Well I think this reply is wrong because I have found that FMP records were correct from the beinning but the GR are nnot so who has altered the records.

As if GR are using old FMP records they are charging us who are using the site for record collection and cannot make alterations for incorrect records - as fools - and in reality taking our money unfarely IMO.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 10 May 2013 19:02

British Newspaper Archive , IGP.


InspectorGreenPen Report 10 May 2013 17:28

What is the BNA? Tried Google but nothing relevant.


+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Apr 2013 10:32

Probably a waste of time posting here as its likely to be outside GR's control, but never the less

When an article is found on the BNA, it would be good to be able to save the image to one's computer.
As it is, all you end up saving is the link. To save the page, you have to print out and scan back in.


InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Apr 2013 20:01

Whilst there is no on-line facility to submit corrections to GR record transcripts, there is nothing to prevent members reporting the details to the support team with a request that they are passed on to the appropriate department for action.

The searchable indexes and datasets held by GR are physically separate from those held by sister site FMP.

This information is not just opinion, it is based on replies made by GR staff Estelle and Phil Moir to previous queries on the subject.

If any of what I have just stated is incorrect then I am happy for a member of GR's staff to advise and update accordingly.


SylviaInCanada Report 13 Mar 2013 20:29


that is an impossibility on GR ...... and will probably remain so for some time to come

You can only submit changes to a census to the site that transcribed them or owns them

GR did not transcribe, nor does it own, the censuses you access on here.

They access the censuses on findmypast ................ which is also owned by the same parent company, BrightSolid. But they operate as 2 separate entities

You can send changes to findmypast, if you are a member on there.

Two things might happen in the future ..................

1. GR will make arrangements with FMP to allow members on here to submit changes that will be transferred over

2. GR and FMP are merged into one entity.

The same thing applies, of course, to all records on here.


BrisbaneThorne Report 12 Mar 2013 03:12

I would like to add my support for Roger Brown's suggestion of 26/08/2012 to allow members to add corrections to poorly transcribed records.

When I was a customer of the Ancestry company, I regularly added corrections, as one know that will help other members.

For instance the 1891 Census for Wales contained a transcription error for which I was able to send a correction.

"England Gloucestershire Tidenham rather than Wales Glamorgan On Urchon"
My reason
"See 1871 and 1881 Census. This entry very poorly written, can see why it was transcribed incorrectly."

William :-)


Lavinia Report 11 Mar 2013 14:20

I would like to view my tree, but after waiting ten minutes gave up. utterly useless


Peter Report 10 Mar 2013 02:43

I would like to search the census records by piece/folio/page.
There does not seen to be such an option in the search criteria.


KenSE Report 4 Feb 2013 08:49

Loretta, you just need to click on "Find Ancestors" on the left under "Boards". Click on Add Topic and then fill in your request.

Read the thread "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" on the .Find Ancestors board first.


loretta Report 4 Feb 2013 03:28

I can't seem to be able to get a message board to ask for help from members it shows me options but not a board to write on . Please help me in this matter. Am looking for my gg grandmother caroline louisa winstanley who info on the cencus for 1861 says she was married to john timson and liveing in mile end. She seems to have no birth record or marriage records .need members help, my grandmothet was ethel beatrice winstanley timson,and she always said look like caroline.


Catherine Report 27 Jan 2013 12:04

There should be an easy way of sending a message to GU when we spot errors in e.g. a census record index. I have a glaring one, so can you let me know? :-)


ElizabethK Report 1 Nov 2012 08:37

Thank you Cynthia


Cynthia Report 31 Oct 2012 20:23

Other guidelines can be found under Help.


jax Report 31 Oct 2012 16:30

If you go to community top of screen....Blogs are at the bottom


ElizabethK Report 31 Oct 2012 14:40

Where do we find Phils blog ?


Cynthia Report 31 Oct 2012 08:22

I think many members with problems, would find it helpful if they checked the FAQs section and Phil's Blog before commenting on here.

These are being updated all the time and well worth a read. Allow time though :-D