Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

stephen gowing c1791 norfolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 5 Apr 2010 12:37

hi
i am trying to trace details of stephen gowing c 1791 norfolk from a private research report i know he had a shop in lowestoft norfok he was a silversmith watchmaker in 1822 his shop was burgled this is according to the bury & norwich post watches trinkets & cash to the value of upwards of £ 100 were taken
ive tried to trace him on family search without success
i dont know if he was married or not any info appreciated

Sue C

Sue C Report 5 Apr 2010 12:45

1851???

GOWING, Stephen Head Married M 62 1789 Retired Watchmaker
Lowestoft
Suffolk
GOWING, Mary Wife Married F 62 1789
Yarmouth
Norfolk
HAYES, Mary Servant Unmarried F 29 1822 Genl Servt
Norwich
Norfolk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
HO107 Piece:
1805 Folio:
318 Page:

Registration District:
Mutford Sub District:
Lowestoft EnumerationDistrict:
1F Ecclesiastical Parish:
Norwich

Civil Parish:
Lowestoft Municipal Borough:
Address:
Prospect Cottage, Church Road, Lowestoft County:
Suffolk

If this is the right man, it looks as if he was born in Suffolk.

Astra

Astra Report 5 Apr 2010 12:52

Groom's name: Stephen Gowing
Groom's birth date:
Groom's age:
Bride's name: Mary Sewell
Bride's birth date:
Bride's age:
Residence: Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
Event place: St. Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
Event date: 1810
Groom's father's name:
Groom's mother's name:
Father of bride's name:
Mother of bride's name:
Groom's prev wife's name note:
Groom's previous wife's name:
Bride's previous husband's name note:
Bride's previous husband's name:
Batch number: M16315-4
Date range: 1806 - 1848
Record group: England-VR
Film number: 1526456
Collection: England Marriages 1700-1900

Sue C

Sue C Report 5 Apr 2010 12:55

Possible?

STEPHEN GOWING Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 28 AUG 1787

Christening: 28 AUG 1788 Lowestoft, Suffolk, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN SEAD GOWING Family
Mother: ELIZABETH BRISSENDEN

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Astra

Astra Report 5 Apr 2010 12:57

Birth

JOHN GOWING Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 11 JUL 1812

Christening: 17 JUL 1812 Lowestoft, Suffolk, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: STEPHEN GOWING Family
Mother: MARY SEWELL

David

David Report 5 Apr 2010 13:26

thank you all very much

Sue C

Sue C Report 5 Apr 2010 13:30

Still around in 1861

GOWING, Stephen Head Married M 72 1789 House Proprietor
Lowestoft
Suffolk
GOWING, Mary Wife Married F 72 1789 House Proprietors Wife
Yarmouth
Norfolk
GIDNEY, Sarah Daughter Married F 41 1820 House Proprietors Daughter
Lowestoft
Suffolk
GIDNEY, Robert Grandson M 10 1851 Scholar
Norwich
Norfolk
GIDNEY, Stephen Grandson M 10 1851 Scholar
Norwich
Norfolk
HITCHAM, Sarah A Servant Unmarried F 20 1841 House Servant
Carlton
Suffolk

RG number:
RG09 Piece:
1187 Folio:
173 Page:

Registration District:
Mutford Sub District:
2 Lowestoft EnumerationDistrict:
7 Ecclesiastical Parish:
St Margarets

Civil Parish:
Lowestoft Municipal Borough:
Address:
27, St Peters Street, Lowestoft County:
Suffolk

Deaths Jun 1867 (>99%)

Gowing Stephen 78 Mutford 4a 449

David

David Report 5 Apr 2010 13:45

thank you all its appreciated

David

David Report 5 Apr 2010 15:10

i have a research report from a recordsoffice which you will eventually see why i asked for details on stephen gowing this reads as follows
sources consulted
suffolk burial index nineteenth century newspapers online
pigot & co national commercial directory 1830
transcripts for lowestoft st margarets baptisims 1769-1830
a search has been made as requested for charlotte gowing & her mother karenhappuch lotch or loche later known as catherine the unmarried mother of charlotte gowing1822
i started by trying to put together all the pieces of information that you sent
and had been previuosly found as peoples names appear to have changed repeatedlylijah davy
i started by looking at the marriage of elijah davy and karenhappuch lotch as the norfolk registers are now online on family search pilot
i fouund the marriage st nicholas great yarmouth 1827 enclosed is a printout for you this appears to be the only reference to the surname lotch in suffolk or norfolk
you sent a copy of emma davy {your charlottes half sister} birth cert which gave her mother as kerenhappuch davy formerly gowing which ties in with the 1827 marriage
it maybe that kerenhappuch lotch was not bap as anglican poss not bap at all or may have been an immigrant
i then searched for david gowing {the stated father of charlotte}silversmith
but found nothibg for him as a silversmith but found this from a newspaper 1822 the shop of stephen gowing silversmith lowestoft was burgled & watches trinkets & cash uto the value of upwards of £ 100
i then looked at the suffolk burial index searching for david or stephen gowing & found the following entries david gowing of debenham buried 13 ju ne 1838 aged 61 at winston st andrew david gowing of ipswich st stephen buried 9 aug 1869 aged 78 mickfield hall
stephen gowing of lowestoft st margaret son os stephen & alice buried 8 july1831 aged 89
stephen gowing st margaret lowestoft buried 20 april 1867 aged 78
l then looked fo rthe surviving david gowing & stephen gowing in the 1851 census & found that david was a farmer at mickfield hall married to lucy & stephen was a retired watchmaker next i looked at pigots directory of 1830 in order to see if david gowing was listed as a silversmith in ipswich he was not
having found the newspaper reference to stephen gowing silversmith
i decided to look at pigots directory for lowestoft & found an entry for stephen gowing silversmith also a jeweller watch & clock maker
suggestions , it may be worth investigating stephen gowing of lowestoft further was your charlottes fathers occupation of siversmith linked to the gowing silversmiths on lowestoft
look for wills for ranson & gowings in ipswich in case there is any mention of charlotte catherine or kerenhappuch
well thats the report & im not much wiser as yet to just who the father of my charlotte is
thank you for your time
hopefully someone can give further suggestions info on just how to further my searc h for my charlotte & her mum kerenhappuvh i know she died thyphoid fever great yarnouth workhouse 1843 aged 40

David

David Report 5 Apr 2010 19:16

is there no one that can suggest how i can carry on with this research from the above details i will NOT ask the records office to do another search in case its the same & it has cost £75
for this lack of info not at all pleased
i sent them many various certs copies too plenty of info to research

David

David Report 8 Apr 2010 14:28

firstly thank you to all that replied to my thread thank you its appreciated as some of you will know i have for 4 years since i joined gr been trying to find my great grandmother charlotte gowing & recently paid money {the second time} to a records office as you know from this thread i was diisapointed with thier results i emaled them a few days ago
got thier reply today as suspected they have said that they did their best & if ancestors which to remain secretive or change thier names thats unfortunate but part of family history they have invited me down to the records office where a warm welcome awaits me & would be shown around shown how to use ther amenities
so with great diissapiontment & heavy heart will concede that i probably will never know charlottes & her mum identities
thank you all again for your past assistace with this
thank you

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Apr 2010 15:58

Sorry David, but you did not mention Charlotte Gowing at all in your request, so nobody has looked for her.

I cannot at all understand the information you have given us from the records office - is it not possible for you to "copy" and "paste" the actual document here?

So she is your great grandmother born 1822? Where did the name karenhappuch locht come from? Who, when and where did your great grandmother marry, and have you got that certificate? Please give us the details on it.

David

David Report 8 Apr 2010 21:40

sorry for delay with reply ive spent hours & hours trying to instal a new pc & now struggling to get my emails
its doing my head in so im coming away from the pc will try again later
then send some marr details
ive tried to cut & paste the so called records office document researc h but can only send via email
will be back on here later need a break from this as its doing my head in

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 9 Apr 2010 14:49

Children of John Gowing and Elizabeth Brissenden

Stephen Gowing 28th Aug 1788

George Sead Gowing Born 2nd Nov 1790

James Gowing Born 14th Dec baptised 18th Dec 1793

Sarah Gowing Born 3rd March Baptised 5th 1796

Joseph Gowing Baptised 25th March 1798

Anna Maria Born 31st May Baptised 1st June 1801

Stephen Gowing Watch maker ,wife Mary
Children of Stephen and Mary

Mary Ann Bapt 26th Jan 1814

Stephen Sead Brissenden Bapt 20th May 1816

James Warden Bapt 23rd March 1818

Sarah Ann Bapt Sept 1819

Joseph William 19th Sept 1821,father John down as Stationer and Watch maker.

William Furnace Bapt Jan 1823

Charles Bapt 23rd March 1824

All Born in Lowestoft Norfolk

David

David Report 9 Apr 2010 14:59

hi
all sorted with the new pc & emails thank goodness
as i have said tried to copy & paste the records office research results but it wont
i can send it via emails
my great grandmother charlotte born 1822 according to census ipswich
but record office have not traced this ?? from that i wonder if her birth place was norfolk
her unmarried mother kerenhappuch lotch
i cant trace her birth place niether can ipswich records office
i have her marriage cert to her first known husband elijah davy reads as follows
elijah davy of this parish and kerenhappuch lotch spinster of this parish were married were married in this parish st nicholas great yarmouth july 30th by banns
the witnesses were william langley & margaret tuck
i obviusly do not need any furthe details of this
tried to trace the witnesses as yet without success
yes charlotte has been on genes before BUT not with these details & mad meg wanted some
any poss info appreciated
as ive said the full records office research can be sent via emails
kerenhappuch died great yarmotuh workhouse 1843 aged 43 cause of death typhoid fever asked norfolk records office for details of this thier repy they dfont have the records for 1843

David

David Report 17 Sep 2011 00:07

nudge