Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused by handwritten entry on birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 Aug 2013 02:47

Hi!

Im trying to find my maternal grandmother's blood relatives as she was adopted.

The first hurdle i have come to is as follows.

I have looked up my grandmother's birth registration with her pre adoption surname. found her easily. Only there is a handwritten x by her name, then at the bottom of the page a handwritten entry with the same surname but different forename is given and a different mother's maiden name.

Im confused. is this a twin? or did they re register her birth? it seems significant to me is all. if it is a twin, and my grandmother was given for adoption would this happen on the registration form?

Thanks
Rebecca

patchem

patchem Report 13 Aug 2013 06:57

Welcome to the boards, Rebecca.

Could you tell us the names so that we can have a look?

Is the place of registration for the 2 births the same? Are the 2 forenames in alphabetical order?
If completely different places, then they have just missed out the handwritten entry initially when compiling all the entries, and have added it later.

Have you applied for her birth certificate for full details?

Thank-you

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 Aug 2013 08:16

the names are marjorie scholefield (my grandmother) born in halifax october 1939

The other person is named Barbara 'schofield' in typed register with the mothers maiden name dilworth. but then a cross is marked on my grandmothers name and then a cross at the bottom says scholefield, barbara, dilworth, halifax, 1939

just thought maybe it was a big coincidence or that they crossed her for a reason as my grandmother was adopted..?

thanks

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 Aug 2013 08:18

my mum only got given her birth certificate with her adopted parents on. i think her adoption records were destroyed or something? I might be wrong. I may need to go speak with my mum again

Gee

Gee Report 13 Aug 2013 08:57

Barbara's birth was registered twice

Firstly with the ref: 9a 1141a

Secondly with the ref: 9a 1141

I would think (although not 100% certain) that Barbara and Marjorie are the same child?

Was the adoptive mothers maiden 'Dilworth'? Maybe she re registered the child using her maiden name?

I wonder if this is the adoptive parents marriage?

Marriages Jun 1939
-----------------------------------------------------

Dilworth Lucy Scholefield Halifax 9a 1377
Scholefield Gordon Dilworth Halifax 9a 1377

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Aug 2013 09:10

An "a" suffix to the page number usually indicates an amendment.

I doubt she is related to Marjorie.

This looks to be Barbara's parents:

Marriages Jun 1939
Dilworth Lucy Scholefield Halifax 9a 1377
Scholefield Gordon Dilworth Halifax 9a 1377

I think an amendment was made to her surname as it was spelt incorrectly the first time.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Aug 2013 09:15

Looks like Barbara married in 1960.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2013 11:53

There is no connection between Barbara and Marjorie

Barbara's parents were married.........Marjorie's mother was not.

To find who she was, buy Marjorie's birth cert.

The ''x' on the index is nothing to do with Marjorie's registration - it relates to Barbara's, and the amendment thereto

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 Aug 2013 14:46

thankyou all for your help