Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 14 Sep 2013 21:56

I was adopted at birth and have recently been looking in to my original family history, it seems that my birth mother died when I was aged 5. I know from court records of the adoption that she was living at home with her mother and brother. Unfortunately I only know my mums name does anyone have any suggestions on where to look next? Also I have the name of my birth father, but can't find any record of him at all. So have come to a stand still.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2013 22:01

you should be able to find some info on her with her name and possible area she lived plus her death if you were 5at the time

if you want any help then we can try .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2013 23:35

Look for the registration of her death, which will give her year (or date if it occured after 1965) of birth. If she was married, the death ought to be in her married name.

Then look for a corresponding birth or marriage You can order certificates for £9.25 on line from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ inc P&P

A birth cert will give her mother's name maiden name, and assuming it's known, her father's name. If they were married, then you can look for a marriage reference and order that. MC's will give declared ages, the father's names if known, and occupations. Witnesses could be relatives.

GRO references needed to order BMD certs can be found on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ up to about the mid 1950's. Later ones to 2005 will be on subscription only sites such as GR, Ancestry or Findmypast.

Another starting point if you don't have any idea of your grandmother's name but do have an address, is to ask the local main library if they hold historical ER. They may be willing to search for the address and tell you who is listed as eligible to vote in the year you were born/she died. They will probably make a charge. There were no Electoral Rolls during WW2 1939-1945.

Have you thought of posting on Findlivingrelatives if you think he might be alive, for help with your father, even if you have no desire to contact him?