Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Agnes Allister Campbell & Joseph Moffat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sminks

sminks Report 13 Nov 2013 22:01

I am searching for my dads birth mother & possible family. My dad was adopted. I have the birth year, marriage year and sadly the year of death of his birth mother. I would like to find out if she had any more children. I would be grateful if someone could direct me in this. I have searched the local newspaper (to where she lived) obituary notices but to no avail. I do not know where to search next so any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Names are : Agnes Allister Campbell & Joseph Moffat
Agnes born 1915 in Denny, Sirlingshire, they married in 1958 in Stirlingshire, Agnes died in 2007 in Larbert, Stirlingshire
I have searched the family trees on this site but to no luck.
I would like to find out if Agnes had any other children but do not know where to get this information for years 1940-1960 in Scotland.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 13 Nov 2013 22:16

Since the lady was married you need to search the birth index for any children born about the time and in the appropriate area the mother and her husband resided in. The births would be registered under the husband's surname and the mothers maiden name will appear in the index.

Depending upon the time period you may find them on www.freebmd.org.uk which is a free site.

patchem

patchem Report 13 Nov 2013 22:17

Any children born to his Mother when she was married will have her husband's name for their surname, and her maiden name as mmn on e.g. freebmd.

Are they both very common surnames so you are having difficulties?

Have you got the death certificate for the name of the informant who may be a relative?

Have you found any siblings for her?

Have you looked to see if anyone on here has her in their trees?

Do you want to give the names that you are working with, so we can make some useful suggestions also?

sminks

sminks Report 13 Nov 2013 22:26

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately freebdm.org only seems to list England & Wales. Perhaps i should have added that i am searching in Scotland. I have checked on the website scottishpeople.org but have come to to a dead end. Thank you for your help though, it is much appreciated
Kind regards
Donna.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Nov 2013 23:33

The 1921 census will be released no earlier than 2022 - if at all.

Who registered the 2007 death?

What do you intend to do if you find that she had other children?

sminks

sminks Report 14 Nov 2013 00:58

Hi Reggie
I have not seen the death certificate, only the date & town where she died. I got the information on scotlandspeople.org. I am unsure of the benefit gained from viewing the death certificate as I believe the lady was in a nursing home when she passed away. My intention now is to find out if she had any other children. What i would do if I found out she did have other children, i am not sure. I would discuss this in detail with my father first and take it from there. I am just interested to know.
Regards
Donna

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2013 11:15

Although I don't know much about Scottish BMD, even if she was living in a Care Home its usually up to the next of kin to register the death if physically possible.

Earlier DC gave the names of the children, including the names of those who had died. Of course, it was up to the informant to be able to give those details.

Unless you apply for the DC, you'll never know how it may help in your search. At the very least, you'd be able to contact the Home and see if anyone who knew her still works there.

Potty

Potty Report 14 Nov 2013 13:25

As she died in Scotland, her death cert will also give her parents' names. Using those you might be able to trace her siblings and their children.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to search for births on scotlandspeople using MMN.

sminks

sminks Report 14 Nov 2013 21:48

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, i have now ordered the death certificate so hopefully that will lead me further.

Potty

Potty Report 15 Nov 2013 12:01

Do come back if you need further help.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Nov 2013 23:08

Sminks,
Just an observation really.
If Agnes was born in 1915 and married in 1958, then she was already in her early 40s when she married.
I expect that there will be few ( if any) children born into this marriage.