Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

and your spouse thinks you spend too much ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Dec 2013 00:22

... on this crazy hobby ...

check out somebody's order here

I was just googling a name that happens to appear in this list (what name doesn't?!)

http://goo.gl/Sol6XD

maybe google was just as astounded as I was and thought it was worth preserving :-D

Renes

Renes Report 4 Dec 2013 03:28

The relentless search for dead people knows no bounds ....

it seems

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Dec 2013 04:06

it reminded me of the computer that once sent me a nice letter ...

Over several years I had spent quite a lot of money at a major retailer on big purchases: two refrigerators and a cooker, a couple of stereos (had to replace things after a break-in), several televisions and VCRs (those VCRs didn't last in my house, plus presents for my mum and dad from the kids and such), a couple of microwaves, a video camera (remember what they cost??), odds and ends like telephones and clock radios ... and I didn't actually think about how much I had bought in total until I got the nice letter.

The computer was suggesting that I might like to buy extended warranties for all of my purchases.

The bill, once the currency is converted, was not very much less than the total for that BMD certificates order :-D

I was pretty sure I could just replace them as they broke down over the years, for less than insuring them ...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Dec 2013 04:20

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 4 Dec 2013 19:33

Let's hope their tree did not have thousands in it!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Dec 2013 21:56

Perhaps they're a professional researcher and the cost gets passed onto their clients?

Incidentally, this site (there are others) shortens very long urls so that they don't stretch the page
http://goo.gl/

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Dec 2013 22:31

I did wonder about that ... but my goodness that would be a lot of research to be doing at once. :-0

those url shorteners ... there are lots of them ... someday I'll pay attention! I hadn't realized this site does what it seems to have done, widen the page annoyingly to accommodate. Okay, I'll do an edit ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Dec 2013 22:34

Sue Sylvia - yes, I wonder whether that is how people get those 99,000 name trees !

A very expensive hobby indeed in that case !