Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

House occupiers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 17 Dec 2013 18:24

As an aside to my family tree I have been looking for the people who used to live in our house....we are the first owners as the house was built about1890 for the school teacher at the time. There hasn't been that many people living here, but we would love to know dates from electoral rolls. Has anyone any ideas about this ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2013 19:17

Contact your closest Family history centre Library or Archive. They probably hold ER or trade directories.

Even though there wasn't full female emancipation until the 1920's, the school teacher might well have been a male.

You ought to be able to find the School House on the 1890-1911 census which will tell you who else was living there.

Look for articles in old papers using the address/school as the key words. Again the Archives may have copies, or try the British Newspaper Archives

Added - with the help of GR members, I did something similar earlier this year
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1323171

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 17 Dec 2013 19:37

Thanks, I do know they were all males and the surnames but as one is a common name it isn't proving easy !!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2013 19:49

It shouldn't be too difficult to start with - ER and trade directories are searchable by address. The TD can also have an alphabetical by surname section.

You might find that someone has written articles or a pamphlet about the school itself - that might include the names as of the School Teacher

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Dec 2013 10:49

The Deeds of your property should hold all the info you need

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 19 Dec 2013 08:55

Thanks Reggie...no deeds as we are the first owners, and no paperwork generated by the school