Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bentley family tree 1820 - date

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jan 2014 18:14

There exists such a tree but I cannot trace it, The Bentley came to South Africa with the 1820 settlers. My grandmother's name was Elizabeth Ann and she marries James Rupert Phillips.

Can anyone help?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jan 2014 18:35

Have you tried here?

http://www.1820settlers.com/

1820 Settler Genealogies and Other Information

She is listed as marrying James Rupert Phillips
James Rupert Phillips, b. 3 Sep 1867, Peddie, Eastern Cape, South Africa, d. 1930

It's quite detailed - just click away and explore. Don't forget to scroll down to read text in some instances.

Derek

Derek Report 12 Jan 2014 16:32

Hi DET....this is brilliant..funnily enough, a couple of years ago I was asked to research the Bentley's and Kitchen's of Halifax and Rothwell in Yorkshire..for a person who could not find them after 1820!!..You brilliant offer of the 1820Settlers site would have been a complete answer.....
..and thanks to you our unknown gentleman can in fact fnd all of the stuff I found in parish records, actually on your site.if he looks hard enough!

Really well done.

Derek.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2014 22:59

Derek - it's not 'my' site, I just found it!

If you are still in contact with him, it might solve a big mystery... and link him to Dorian as a relative.............. even if it is something like 4th cousins 3 times removed :-D

We don't expect our forefathers to go gadding off across the world in 1820, do we? :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Jan 2014 13:30

As the poster is fairly new to the boards, I'll let him know about the help Det. Hope he is as excited as Derek is!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2014 20:53

Ooops! The poster started different threads on various boards, creating duplicates - one of those about this topic has more posts and a reply by him.

Never mind - he may not have spotted Derek's post on this one. :-)