Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bentley family tree 1820 - date

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jan 2014 18:14

There exists such a tree but I cannot trace it, The Bentley came to South Africa with the 1820 settlers. My grandmother's name was Elizabeth Ann and she marries James Rupert Phillips.

Can anyone help?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jan 2014 18:35

Have you tried here?

http://www.1820settlers.com/

1820 Settler Genealogies and Other Information

She is listed as marrying James Rupert Phillips
James Rupert Phillips, b. 3 Sep 1867, Peddie, Eastern Cape, South Africa, d. 1930

It's quite detailed - just click away and explore. Don't forget to scroll down to read text in some instances.

Derek

Derek Report 12 Jan 2014 16:32

Hi DET....this is brilliant..funnily enough, a couple of years ago I was asked to research the Bentley's and Kitchen's of Halifax and Rothwell in Yorkshire..for a person who could not find them after 1820!!..You brilliant offer of the 1820Settlers site would have been a complete answer.....
..and thanks to you our unknown gentleman can in fact fnd all of the stuff I found in parish records, actually on your site.if he looks hard enough!

Really well done.

Derek.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2014 22:59

Derek - it's not 'my' site, I just found it!

If you are still in contact with him, it might solve a big mystery... and link him to Dorian as a relative.............. even if it is something like 4th cousins 3 times removed :-D

We don't expect our forefathers to go gadding off across the world in 1820, do we? :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Jan 2014 13:30

As the poster is fairly new to the boards, I'll let him know about the help Det. Hope he is as excited as Derek is!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2014 20:53

Ooops! The poster started different threads on various boards, creating duplicates - one of those about this topic has more posts and a reply by him.

Never mind - he may not have spotted Derek's post on this one. :-)