Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alias

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 15 Jan 2014 18:04

Hi please can someone tell me why people had alias names.I have found on Freereg my grandfathers family of Chapmans to have alias 's Kerton and Kerton alias Chapman. :-S :-S :-S :-S

patchem

patchem Report 15 Jan 2014 19:16

?

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Use_of_Aliases_-_an_Overview

Allison

Allison Report 15 Jan 2014 19:50

Thank you for the link.I will be trying to work out which is the mother's surname and which is the father's surname now.

patchem

patchem Report 15 Jan 2014 21:30

You could also post the information in more detail on here if you want some help?

Kuros

Kuros Report 16 Jan 2014 11:16

My great -grandfather used aliases because he was on the run from the police - different census, different name. We discovered this when we found records of the assizes. They caught up with him eventually and he did three years with hard labour for stealing sheep fleeces and a cockerel. He gave the cockerel to my great-grandmother - they were courting at the time - and she was also in the records for receiving stolen goods. Bigamy was another common reason for an alias. Might be worth you looking into this - not that I'm insinuating for one minute that your ancestors were criminals.

Annie

Allison

Allison Report 16 Jan 2014 11:23

Thank you I would like some help.I will get all my info together now and then post it.

Allison

Allison Report 16 Jan 2014 12:09

My great grandfather was James Chapman born 1875 Emborough Somerset, his father was Isaac Chapman {Kerton} born 1824 Binegar Somerset.Isaac Chapman marries Elizabeth Martin 1850 Ashwick as Isaac Kerton in notes it says Banns Chapman alias Kerton .
Isaac's father is Joseph Chapman Kerton born ? Joseph married Elizabeth Ferry in 1811 Binegar Somerset.Other children of Joseph and Elizabeth that I have found are Thomas born 1820 Emborough and Elizabeth born 1821 Ashwick.
In the 1851 census living next door to Isaac is Edward Chapman born 1816 so this may be a brother to Isaac.
I also see from some census that the family were Lime burners.
I have found births and marriages on Freereg where there are also other Chapman's down as alias Kerton or Kerton alias Chapman.I hope that this info is ok if you need more just let me know I am vey grateful.Allison

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 16 Jan 2014 18:29

Just something else to consider regarding your query about name and alias....illegitimacy.
I've come across a case in my own research where, when the adult child discovered the man he knew as his father was actually his stepfather, he then insisted on knowing his real father's identity and chose to take his surname, thereby having an alias.

Allison

Allison Report 16 Jan 2014 19:10

Thank you Karen in the desert.This is what I assume to be the case.
Patchem has offered some help which is great as I do not know where to start
:-)

Allison

Allison Report 16 Jan 2014 19:15

There is a marriage between Edward Chapman and Martha Kerton in Bath 1800 but I know my Joseph was born before that unless this is where the two surnames come from as he was born out of marriage.I can not see any census reports to look for them as I thought they would have been in or around the Ashwick area.

patchem

patchem Report 18 Jan 2014 08:47

As no-one has made suggestions on your family I am assuming that they believe the discussion is still about aliases and so have not read the new information.

I should have said to start a new thread on Find Ancestors about your family so people who like searching in old records can see your problem and help.

I suggest you start a new thread on there with the relevant information on your family.

I agree that there is a high possibility that both surnames were used if Joseph was born before his parents marriage - for whatever reason that that was delayed.

Allison

Allison Report 18 Jan 2014 11:10

Ok thank you.

Reggie

Reggie Report 18 Jan 2014 11:47

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1336410