Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EARLY CENSUS 1841 -1891

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Jan 2014 15:59

hi can anyone out there help me make sense of the genes site. I haven't been on for some time and everything looks different. I would like to look at the earlier census but can only find 1901 and 1911 listed. What am I doing wrong - help!!

Gins

Gins Report 25 Jan 2014 16:03

Hi

I don't use the Genes site for searching so I cant help with that - sorry

If you need help with finding a family on earlier censuses, post the details and others can help

Edit:

Just had a look and you need to go to SEARCH, CENSUS, LAND AND SURVEYS

You'll find SEARCH at the top right of your screen

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/census-land-and-surveys/census

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jan 2014 16:09

Click on "search" at the top right of the screen and then click on "search all records" then click on "Census Land and Surveys" on the screen that comes up - then put in the name you are looking for. It should bring up that name in any of the census years that the name is on.

I must say though that I use Findmypast for census searches.

Kath. x

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Jan 2014 16:09

Thanks Gins, Think I've sussed it now. Thanks for offer. Have been off my comp for so long I find any change puzzling - it's old age!

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Jan 2014 16:11

Thanks Kath.