Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates - Cerificate Before Me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 5 Feb 2007 13:17

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/marriages.htm#HEAD 'by certificate' which would be found on a marriage entry in a register office marriage register or in a non-conformist marriage register. It shows that the couple waited 3 weeks between giving notice and getting married.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 5 Feb 2007 13:19

Does anyone know what Certificate before me means on a marriage certificate in the context: Married in the ....A... (according to the Rites and Ceromonies of the).....B.......by 'Certificate before me Ernest C Wring(?) Deputy Registrar. 'A' being The Register Office and (according to etc) has been crossed out and 'B' not filled in, presumably because it was not a church wedding.

Penny

Penny Report 5 Feb 2007 13:56

I would have thought 'before me' means the same as 'in front of me' ie-he witnessed it being done