Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know Duncton, West Sussex?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2004 00:24

On Saturday we made a detour to see the church in Duncton, where ancestors were baptised but the present church dates from 1860s. Does anyone know the location of an older one that would have been in use c1806?

Crista

Crista Report 30 Aug 2004 06:01

Gwyneth, Found this: "The church of Holy Trinity is a relatively modern building, having been built in 1866, replacing an older one, St. Mary's, which was demolished in 1876." Crista

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Aug 2004 08:29

I don't but it seems likely that someone in the local Family History Society would. http://www(.)sfhg(.)org(.)uk/ The only picture they have online is a photo of the more modern 1866 church but they will have other resources and interested people. Christine

Kim

Kim Report 30 Aug 2004 13:44

I don't know it but have some ancestors, Pellets from there. kim

Keith

Keith Report 30 Aug 2004 13:46

Hi, Have you tried www.thesussexweald.org it's full of usefull Sussex info. Good luck.

Keith

Keith Report 30 Aug 2004 13:47

Forgot to mention I had Batchelors living in Sussex.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2004 16:52

Thank you for your help. From Crista's comment it would seem that I may be unlucky but I will follow up your leads for more information, Thank you. Sorry Keith. None of 'our' Batchelors are known to be from Sussex, -yet-. Ours are from near Winchester mostly, but thank you for your interest. 'You never know!'