Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Michael Creagh and the Creaghs from Fermoy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 18 Jun 2010 14:01

After approximately 3years of searching I have finally found the correct details for my great grandfather James Michael Creagh/Cray. His birth certificate gives father's name as Michael Creagh and mother's name as Mary Ann Creagh formerly Smith. James Michael Cray died in September 1896 at Guys Hospital. The marriage certificate for Michael Cray to Mary Ann Smith gave his father's name as a William Cray (Farmer). Subsequent searches on census gave me the information that Michael Creagh/Cray was born in Fermoy, Ireland. I have found a baptism record for a Michael Creagh in Castlelyon on 5 Feb 1810. This gives his mother's name a Margaret Quinn. Although I have searched on several webites for a marriage of a William Creagh/Cray to a Margaret Quinn I can't find one. Any ideas?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Jun 2010 15:20

Jill...Castlelyons is a small village (2002 Pop.only 211) about 4 miles South of Fermoy...(as the crow flies)..It is in the RC Diocese of Cloyne ...you will be needing to locate Parish Registers for the records you need...That being said I have found a Pierce Creagh listed on 1766 Census of Castlelyons...on Creagh listed and maybe a generation back for what you are after...
May be able to find more once Football Match has finished.

Jill

Jill Report 18 Jun 2010 15:40

Thanks I didn't realize Castlelyons was such a small village. I found the information on the Irish Family History Foundation website but as I am based in North Devon it is difficult locating information. I did find a marriage for a William Creagh in 1809 but not to a Margaret Quin.

Jill

Jill Report 18 Jun 2010 15:47

The Baptism Record for Michael Creagh gives sponsor1/Informant 1 as: Henry Long and sponsor 2/informant 2 as: Margaret Hegarty.
On the baptism record for Catherine Creagh it gives the sponsors as John Sullivan and Margaret Barry. Michael Creagh married a Johanna Condon on 17th January 1834 in Fermoy, Col. Cork. she died in June 1840 in St Martin the Fields, London which is where he married Mary Ann Smith on 12th September 1843.

Jill

Jill Report 22 Jun 2010 14:57

Looked on the Irish Family History Foundation website but still not sign of a marriage for William Creagh to a Margaret Quinn. Are there any other websites that I can try? or does anyone have any other ideas.

Jill

Jill Report 22 Jul 2010 21:15

Please, Please, Please! can anyone help with the marriage of William Creagh/Cray to Margaret Quinn?