Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baffled

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 22 Nov 2008 03:07

Im totally baffled about the results Im getting from the census for my great grandfather Robert Foxwell and great gran Catherine Soper

Heres why-
1861- Head- James Foxwell
Wife- maryann
Daughter- maryann- 5
" - elizabeth-3
son - robert -13

1871- Head- James
Wife- maryann
Daughter- elizabeth-13

1881- Head- catherine read 32 WIDOW
daughter- ruth 9
" -beatrice 4
" -clara 1
Lodger- robert foxwell
Head - william soper WIDOWER

1891- Head- Robert
Wife- catherine 41
daughter- Beatrice
" - annie
" - clara
" - kate
wifes father- william soper

1901- Head- Robert
Wife - Kathleen ?? I presume its been misheard and therefore written as kathleen instead of catherine
Son - Alfred G (my great grandfather)

Heres where I get confused-

1861- head- william soper
wife -anne soper
daughter- catherine 12
" - maryann 11
" -clara 15
" - ann 14
" -george 18

1871 wife- Catherine read 78
lodger- elizabeth williams
" -catherine soper 21

As you can see in 1871 it shows catherine soper lodging with catherine read

Then in 1881 it shows Robert foxwell lodging with catherine read who has three daughters and also william soper

Then in 1891 it shows Robert married to catherine soper and living with beatrice and clara who were two of Catherine reads daughters from the 1881 census. And the father of the wife william soper also lives there.

Are catherine read and catherine soper the same person?? If so why does it show catherine soper lodging with catherine read in 71?
At first I thought Catherine Read was Catherine Soper's married name when she was widowed but then I saw that they lived together? Catherine Read disappears out of the picture in the 91 census but then clara and beatrice ,her daughters, are living with robert and catherine soper. Can anyone please explain what they think might have happened?

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 22 Nov 2008 04:03

Perhaps it is best to check the ages/approx DOB of the 2 Catherine's on the Cencus years.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 22 Nov 2008 06:30

You have a thread about this exact thing on the board already:

http://genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1105280

from only yesterday.

You cannot assume that the people who see this thread will have seen that one and the work already done in it.

Please don't start new threads that just invite new people to do the same thing other people have already done!

Penny

Penny Report 22 Nov 2008 06:33

Marriages Dec 1892

Foxwell Robert St Saviour Southwark 1d 34
SOPER Catherine St. Saviour 1d 34

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 22 Nov 2008 07:06

There we go.

That marriage information was discussed already in the previous thread. In fact, it was in the opening post in that thread ...

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 22 Nov 2008 11:40

Sorry EavieBeavie. I thought it was gone and forgotten .I wont do again.
So anyway i think this is a mystery Ill never find out about. Cant understand who this 78 year old Catherine read is in 1871 living with catherine soper then in 1881 Catherine read is 32 and widowed with three kids and living with robert foxwell. Then in 1891 two of the kids are with Robert and his wife catherine soper??
Its all a bit dodgy. Maybe they lied about everything cause they had illegitimate kids or something?