Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Sloan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 8 Oct 2006 13:22

Mary Wright I am looking to find where my GGrandparents HughSloan and Mary Sloan was born in Ireland, Hugh about1845 and Mary1846. My Granddad William was born about 1862 in Ireland.The Family came over to Cumberland when William was about 6 years old. In the 1871Census the Family lived at Crosscanonby Maryport Cumberland. In Cumberland he work as an Labourer at the IronWorks. Sloan could have (e) at the end of the name. Margaret born1868 and Nicholas1870 were born in England

Pauline

Pauline Report 8 Sep 2008 21:17

Hi Mary ,Pauline here could you opan your tree please .

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 13 Oct 2008 17:00

Pauline
Sorry i have just pick up your message from the 8 Sept 08. Will open my tree to you.
Mary

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 13 Oct 2008 19:49

Mary did your Sloans have any connection to the McEvoys of Grasslot Maryport..?
Christine

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 26 Oct 2008 23:24

Erin Gobragh1916
Sorry i have just pick up your messsge. Yes my grandma Mary Mcavoy did live at Grasslot. She married into the Sloan family.
Mary

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Oct 2008 10:00

Dear Mary....You may just be my saviour...!! I have been trying to connect the McEvoys to the Sloans but have had considerable difficulty with establishing anything concrete due to the McAvoy/McEvoy spelling of the surname on the various pieces of documentation....
My grandfather was Thomas McEvoy "Master Shoemaker" b.abt 1881 (unable to establish exactly where) his father was a John McEvoy (coalminer deceased on Thomas' Marriage Cert 1908)...
I know he definately was related to the Sloans of Grasslot as my grandmother mother and elder sisters used to vist there in the 50s/60s...my sister recalls an "Auntie Minnie/Mary "I also have a family photograph from my grandparents to an Auntie Sarah....(not posted for some reason)....abt.1912/13.
Have a lot of "McAvoy" data but the McEvoy spelling is giving me a massive headache..!!!
Christine

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 27 Oct 2008 15:15

Dear Christine
Your Thomas could be a sister to my grandma Ma Mary,her dad was John Mcavoy a miner died 1884 at Grasslot. John and his wife Elizabeth move around a bit. His son Thomas was born in Skelmersdale Lancashier C1880,moving back to Maryport to work.
I have got the records of John Parents and brothers.
and sisters.I am also inconact with other Mcavoy.
There are still some members of the mcavoys living in Maryport.
Mary

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Oct 2008 19:44

Dear Mary....Many thanks for your message...I had looked at the possibility of the John (descd) and Elizabeth as parents...however I was sent info.that Elizabeth and her children had died pre 1891 which therefore excluded "their" Thomas as being my grandfather.....
Would it be possible to let me have some further information regarding John and Elizabeth...
Christine

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 27 Oct 2008 23:13

Christine
John was born in Scotland c1848 to Patrick and Mary Mcavoy
came over from Ireland.In the 1861 census the family lived at Cleator Moor. Elizabeth was born on the1 July 1845 to Benjamin and SarahNicholas,moved to Barrow in Furness by 1851Elizabeth help to run her dad Beer House.John meetElizabeth by 1867, the year both her parents died.My grandma Mary was born on
the 10 May 1868 at Aberdare Glamorgan.The family was back in Cumberland by 1881.In the census of 1881 they lived at
81 Collins Tre Dearham. John died in 1884 age36,
Elizabeth on the 29 Dec 1888 age 43. Grandma Mary married William Sloan 25 May 1889, Willliam
pass away in 1912 and Mary 13 Feb 1932. William had a sister Sarah b1876 who lived at Maryport in1901,could this be Aunty Sarah you were on about.
Mary

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 28 Oct 2008 11:10

Christine

Did your grandmother live in Scotland?

Mary

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Oct 2008 11:51

Good Morning Mary...Well what you have told me corrosponds with most of my "history" but I was not able to confirm anything due to the fact that the information regarding Elizabeth plus children dying muddied the waters....the McEvoy/McAvoy was also another factor...
The addresses etc were what I had and the origens from Irish community Cleator Moor....
Interestingly I had not the connection of B.in.F but that would possibly support the story my grandmother also related about first meeting my grandfather on the Railway Staion at B.in.F.....though what she was doing she never said !
No she she was not from Scotland...lived in the North East ...a place called Wallsend outside Newcastle).
Christine

Dolphin

Dolphin Report 28 Oct 2008 17:37

Christine
I am incontact with Pauline who 2 Granddad was the brother of my 2 granddad Hugh Sloan,he lived at Barrow..I have got a lot of info from pauline side of the Family. My mother told me that grandma Mary had a brother in Newcastle, who use to bring them some food after she lost her husband. Can i have your E-mail adress please
Mary