Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Walter WOODLEY

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bernice

Bernice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:12

I have a very sad mystery to try and solve which might make a couple of very old ladies happy. My MILs father Walter Harold Woodley born 25.5.1899,in London I think. to Henry (Harry) and Elizabeth ann Woodley(Ithink, no birthdate exists) he was a fine carpenter in early life. He married Dorothy Woodley ( Staines)just after wwi, going on to have 3 children, George, Edna and Gwen.The family have always been told he died in the twenties when Gwen was very small,leading the family into penury. Dorothy was forced to put the children in the Nazereth homes for several years while she paid to train as a midwife in London. The children eventually returned home after suffering there mother going out in the blitz on a bike delivering babies.Dorothy was a remarkable woman, but my husband never remembers any conversation s about her husband, and no pictures exist. Recently, atv programme distressed MIl greatly and she suddenly revealed he served in the Navy in WWi no idea wich branch , and in her words' was bombed, gassed and sunk several times. She then went on to reveal her distressing memory of him being taken away in a Black maria suffering from 'religious mania.'She saw him only once more, when she was taken to the Springfield hospital in Londonto see him as he was dying. Tragically the family wiped out all memory of him to there great distress now.
. It seem that for MIL to remember him he must have died later than she thinks, she does not know. Of his naval career , the family know nothing at all, I can find no trace of him it is as if he didn't exist. His children are now very old and if possible I would like to be able to give them some clear info about him, especially if he had a good naval career. Her description of his injuries etc is odd, but research suggests the navy was over subscribed and many made up naval 'army' battalions fighting with great bravery in WWi so her description might be right.. I know there is only a very faint chance that we can find anything at all-so many records were destroyed or tied up, but if any of you can help it would be wonderful oto tie up the loose ends.

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:18

Births Jun 1899 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodley Walter Harold - Staines 3a 12

Did you mean his father was Henry Harry ? or Harry short for Henry ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Mar 1893
***************Bowyer Elizabeth Fulham 1a 409
Couch Sydney Fulham 1a 409
Glenn Elizabeth Caroline Fulham 1a 409
*****************Woodley Henry Harry Fulham 1a 409

EDIT : Perhaps Not !

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:20

Marriages Dec 1923 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tams Dorothy T- Woodley Richmond S. 2a 1133
Woodley Walter H - Tams Richmond S 2a 1133

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:23

Not sure if these people still alive so have delted the dates.
You can find them on freebmd

Births
Woodley Edna D- Tams- Fulham 1a 414

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births
Woodley George J -Tams - Brentford 3a 165

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:25

This is possibly Gwen ( Tams mistranscribed)

Births --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodley Gwen T - Sams Brentford 3a 169

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Jan 2011 23:26

Name: Walter Harold Woodley
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1899
Baptism Date: 16 Jul 1899
Father's name: Henry George Woodley
Mother's name: Elizabeth Annie Woodley
Parish or Poor Law Union: Sunbury on Thames St Mary
Borough: Richmond upon Thames

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:27

Would this date tie in ?

Deaths Jun 1938 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOODLEY Walter H - 38 - Wandsworth 1d 515

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:28

Not Henry Harry then.

This one ?

Marriages Jun 1892--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADAMS Eliza Lewisham 1d 1709
***********AFFORD Elizabeth Annie - Lewisham 1d 1709
CHITTEY Thomas Lewisham 1d 1709
***********WOODLEY Henry George - Lewisham 1d 1709

Bernice

Bernice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:30

Hi Mike, I actually have quite a good family tree, provided by his eldest daughter, with the exception of Walters info. Walters father was Henry George ( known as Harry) Confusingly he had a brother known as Harry b. 1897, a brother George b1896 and a sister Annie. The family have an interesting history. Henty George was a shuttering carpenter and gangmaster , working all over the place, particularly on the Suez Canal in Egypt.On one return from abroad, his wife had run off with the German owner of a fish and chip shop, abandoning the children, Walter was eventually foun sleeping in a shop door way. SubsequentlyI think there was a divorce around1915, Henry served in WW1 as a Sergeant I think, and had the German deported, while his ex wife disappeared to Canada.He subsequently went on to pay for his daughter in laws medical training and helped support his grandchildren.There are many photos of him in existence.

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 5 Jan 2011 23:31

there are some documents on Ancestry for Walter Woodley

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 about Walter Woodley
Name: Walter Woodley
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Age at enlistment: 18
Residence: 36 Crabtree Lane, Fulham SW
Document Year: 1917
Regiment Name: Infty Bn

I am gonna go look and report back

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:34

Walter Harold Woodley, 47 Granville Ave, Hounslow, died 1/5/38 at Springfield House, Beechcroft Road, Tooting. Administration 7th July to Dorothy Theresa Woodley, widow. Effects £623

Bernice

Bernice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:40

Sorry I think I might have confused you, I meant Walters siblings were Harry ,George and Annie.Staines, Hounslow, Ruislip and Sunbury have all,l been mentioned. I am pretty sure that some of the children ended up being looked after by alice and Fred Chapman (Henry Georges sister )in Rye Sussex at some stage.Fred was a convicted smuggler, and boatman who gave his name to the famous smugglers pub there.

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 5 Jan 2011 23:47

Ancestry is being a pain! wont load things

but if this is the same one, he left the forms blank where it asks about his wife and children.

Bernice

Bernice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:48

You have all the correct information, and the dates fit in. Do you think I would be able to get a death cert which would give a cause of death- can you acess hospital records do you think?
All the family seem absolutely convinced he wasin the navy, but they are very old now and may have assumed that description of him being sunk at least twice meant the navy.Did many WW1 soldiers actually get sunk ?
Lastly, I don;t suppose its remotely possible any WW1 records might contain a photo?
Thanks for trying to tie uplose ends.

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:52

I've had a look on Ancestry, and that Walter Woodley from Fulham was a slater and tiler by profession.

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 5 Jan 2011 23:53

no, im affraid they are burnt: a lot of records were destroyed in a fire i think during the blitz..

Looks like im looking at the wrong walter....there was Walter Reginald Woodley born 1899 in Fulham

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jan 2011 23:55

You can order the death cert here

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You'll need the reference that Mike found for you higher up the page.

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Jan 2011 23:57

You can purchase his death cert online from the General Registry Office. ( cost £9.25)

Go to
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

Bernice

Bernice Report 6 Jan 2011 00:06

Walter was definitely a master carpenter. We have a single inlaid wooden box made by him and he is sai d to have been employed particularly in the making of fancy staicases in many of Londons best hotels and shops.It doesn't look as if his war records are going to be found, I have tried eveything I can think of but no joy.If we can't finf him can you find a war record of his father Henry George- he was very good at handling men I beleive?

Bernice

Bernice Report 6 Jan 2011 00:19

Thanx evryone