Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

higginbottom/ carlyon

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachael

Rachael Report 15 Jul 2009 03:29

my name is rachael i am the grandaughter of phylis evans.. due to the lack of contact with my family im hoping that the smart people here can help me peice together my relatives..

my grandmother was phylis evans, i last saw her in 2000, she was currently in the anne caudle centre in bendigo.. i believe she passed away not long after..
she had a few children , at least 5 which were all adopted out when she was younger, she had a traumatic assault when she was young and suffered a brain injury and couldnt care for them.. i dont know where my grandfather went, but i believe he was a carlisle or carlyon?
my mother was one of those, she was originally named dorothy, but is now patriciamorgan , she has been married a few times macdonald, blake, combe and now mcmillan and i know she managed to contact her sisters a few years ago, but there was a fall out with them and also with me.. she also had a brother Gary- im not sure if that was his biological name or "new" name..

i also believe there was a article run in thats life on my family a few years ago, but i couldnt tell you when..
and i believe my grandmother was a identical twin? my grandmother lived in north bendigo off hoy st..
i know its not much to go off, im hoping that someone might be able to give me some ideas?
i have no idea where to start..

yes sorry in australia, im new to this.. my bad..

she was going by the name of Evans when she passed away..
my grandfathers first name may have been sydney? and i think there are kirby's related in there? its a Jumbeled mess.....

yetty

yetty Report 15 Jul 2009 09:40

Can you tell us any dates, or Country ?

Rachael

Rachael Report 15 Jul 2009 13:39

yes sorry its a australian search.. my mother was born around 1957. her mother was in her 20s.. thats about all i know right now..

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jul 2009 14:19

have you tried to contact that's life for the story that might be of help

Katherine

Katherine Report 15 Jul 2009 22:11

You might like to try the Salvation Army Family Tracing Service. They are based in Sydney but do Australia wide.
Email on [email protected]. Can also contact via the web.
Katherine

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 17 Jul 2009 07:51

Rachael

Just to clarify - was your grandmother's maiden name EVANS, or was that her name when she died?

Was Carlisle or Carlyon her husband's given name, or surname?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 18 Jul 2009 08:22

nudge for rachael

Rachael

Rachael Report 19 Oct 2009 15:26

she was going by the name of Evans when she passed away..
my grandfathers first name may have been sydney? and i think there are kirby's related in there? its a Jumbeled mess.....

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 20 Oct 2009 02:09

Hi Racheal

Some approx dates would be helpful, but I've had a go.

There are 2 Phyllis EVANS deaths in Victoria on www.ryersonindex.org after 2000, one in 2004 and one in 2008. Might be worth a lookup from that site.

It is difficult not knowing how old she would be in 2000, or when she may have married! But hopefully something fits.

I am assuming she remarried to EVANS after her marriage to CARLILE/CARLISLE/CARLYON?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 20 Oct 2009 02:15

Had another thought and checked the Bendigo Cemetery index online.

There is a Phyllis Emma EVANS who died in May 2000. She was cremated but is memorialised there. They will do a search of records for you for $24 an hour.

This is the link
http://www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp

P.S. It looks like this Phyllis Emma was born HOOPER in 1915 and married (as HOOPER) to James Duncan EVANS in 1941 in Victoria (reg 4261), as he is memorialised in same place as Phyllis (he died in 1998). (James b. 1919 Warrnambool). So, maybe not a match after all? Unless of course Phyllis was not actually legally married to CARLILE/CARLYON/CARLISLE?

Rachael

Rachael Report 21 Oct 2009 18:18

ok, i know she was alive after may 2000 as my daughter was born on the 7th of may that year and she held her about two weeks after.. the death of 2004 might be likely.. as for the childrens father, im not sure if they married or even his name.. im purely going on memory there, however i dont believe she married this carlyon man..

i will see what else i can find.. thanks for your help peoples.. xxx

Rachael

Rachael Report 21 Oct 2009 18:30

oh and if it helps her last place of residence was in a street called Farrell st, i belive it ws a office of housing property..

Rachael

Rachael Report 21 Oct 2009 18:31

at one stage there she was paying of a funeral plan with Mulqueen and sons?? sorry for the posts just writing things as i remember them..

Rachael

Rachael Report 22 Oct 2009 11:35

ok heres what ive found..

my grandmother was born Phylis joyce higginbottom she was born in 1933 and lived in Castlemaine.. she had a twin sister Lillian..

In 1952 she was 19 years old.. she married Albert sidney/sydney? Carlyon who was born in 1885.. yes he was 67!! alot older.. they married in Dunolly

this was not his first marriage 2 previous i believe?, he had 5 other children, harold, ronald, jack. gordon, and edna.. i dont know theyre dates of birth or anything..

im not sure at which stage they moved to bendigo.. they moved to Weddel street kangaroo flat..

from 1952 to 1958 they had 4 children Albert sydney, Robyn june, Raymond cecil and then Dorothy jean (my mother)... thats alot of kids lol!!

it appears that my grandfather Albert passed away a year and a half after my mother was born on the 26/8/1958.. he has a brother Leslie, not sure if older or younger.. the kids were adopted out....

my grandmother remarried4 times after this..!
she married Henry maisy in 1964.. they lived in browning st KangarooFlat .. she was attacked that year in her home by a exboyfriend...

after this she marred a man with the last name sales

then she married a man with the last name edwards.

and the last before she passed away was called Evan.. im not sure in what years she remarried theses men or any other children she had during this time...

*big breath*
so thats where im up to.. any hints or tips where to go to next??

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 23 Oct 2009 05:54

This seems likely to be his first marriage:

Surname: CARLYON
Given Names: Albt Sidney
Event: M
Spouse Surname: DOYLE
Spouse Gvn Names: Gerte Laura Vic
Birth Place: MOONTA
Year: 1906
Reg. Number: 696

Moonta is in South Australia. They had at least 6 children:
Albert Hy 1907 Bendigo
Jno Bernard 1910 Armadale, d. 1984 Rye aged 74
Gordon Stanley 1916 Melb West
Edna Jean Dorothy 1918 Collingwood, d. 1984 Ivanhoe aged 65 as CHADWICK
Ronald George c1924, d. 1969 Richmond aged 45
Thelma Lorna Victoria c1926, d. 1927 Carlton aged 1

Gertrude Laura Victoria CARLYON died in 1949 aged 61 in North Richmond (reg 9474), d/o John Bernard & Ada DOYLE.

Albert Sidney CARLYON died in Bendigo in 1958 aged 74 (reg 24171). This fits with a birthyear c1884. I suggest you order this certificate as it should list his spouses and all children. Though it seems parents names aren't given. You can order an uncertified image for A417.50 from https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

There is a Leslie Allen CARLYON who died in Bendigo in 1933 aged 39 (b. c1894), parents Jno Hy and Priscilla nee DAVIES (reg 17530). He was killed in a mining accident, falling 40ft down the shaft at the Hercules mine.

A John Hy CARLYON died in Bendigo in 1923 aged 70, son of Richard CARLYON and Mary ALLEN (reg 375).

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 23 Oct 2009 06:00

Here's his WWI enlistment

Carlyon Albert Sydney : SERN DEPOT : POB Moonta WA : POE Bendigo VIC : NOK W Carlyon Gertrude

At this time (Jan 1915) they were living at 651 High St, Golden Square, Bendigo. He was a miner.

See http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 23 Oct 2009 06:18

Found this death:

Surname: HIGGINBOTTOM
Given Names: Noel Clifford
Father: Unk
Mother: Phyllis Joyce HIGGINBOTTOM
Death Place: CMAINE
Year: 1951
Reg Number: 23108
Event: D

and this

Surname: MAIZEY
Given Names: Edward Thomas
Father: Henry Edward
Mother: Lillian HIGGINBOTTOM
Death Place: BEND
Year: 1955
Reg Number: 20239
Event: D

Henry Edward died in Bendigo in 1984 aged 72 (reg 7012), son of Edward Thos & Ethel May (nee CISSON). His father died in Castlemaine, which also seems a good link (in 1943 aged 54).

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 23 Oct 2009 06:40

Have you seen this (I'm assuming it is not you!)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ccc909a3ab7bb5970d7bd37a5486e344&action=printpage;topic=312040.0

Looking at this again it appears to be posted by a daughter of Robyn's.

She gives this info:
Phillias Higginbottom born 1934
Parents were Jean May Robinson Born 1911, Hector Reid Higginbottom born 1901

Their marriage:

Family Name: HIGGINBOTTOM
Given Name: Hector Reid
Spouse Family Name: ROBINSON
Spouse Given Name: Jean May
Registration Year: 1927
Registration Number: 9316
Event: M

Hector died in 1976 aged 74 in Heidelberg (reg 10139). His parents were Nathaniel & Eliza Ann nee CLAPTON. He was born in Footscray in 1902 as Hector Reed HIGGINBOTTOM (reg 26280).

His enlistment in WWII:
HIGGINBOTTOM HECTOR REID : Service Number - VX47661 : Date of birth - 25 Oct 1901 : Place of birth - FOOTSCRAY VIC : Place of enlistment - CAULFIELD VIC : Next of Kin - HIGGINBOTTOM JEAN

He enlisted in Geelong and was an upholsterer. They lived at 14 Waller St Geelong. There is a photo of him on his file!

No death found for Jean. Possible birth for Jean May ROBINSON in 1911 in Maryborough to unwed mother Rose Harriet ROBINSON (reg 21720).

Found deaths for 3 of Hector & Jean's children:
Ernest James d. 1932 Carlton (as an infant)
Dorothy Jean d. 1933 Kyneton (as an infant)
Robert Nathaniel d. 1984 aged 56 Bendigo

Hector's parents, Nathaniel & Eliza Ann, married in Victoria in 1874 (reg 309). He was born in London and she in Avoca (in 1856 to Chas & Sarah nee BARRETT).

Hector's siblings (he was the youngest):
1. Sarah Ann b. 1875 Sandhurst, d.?
2. Alice May Howard b. 1876 Hotham, d. 1959 aged 83
3. Laura Agnes Maud b. 1878 Collingwood, d. 1958 aged 80
4. Ernest Barratt b. 1881 Sandhurst, d. 1953 Abbotsfield aged 72
5. Howard Fredk Jno b. 1883 Casterton, d. 1884 Sandhurst aged 10 months
6. Janet Beatrice b. 1885 Sandhurst, d. 1962 Casterton aged 76
7. Mabel Victoria b. 1887 Aramadale, d. 1889 Armadale aged 1
8. Lydia Gertrude b. 1890 Armadale
9. Jessie b. 1892 St Kilda, d. 1977 Geelong aged 84
10. Percy Robert b. 1895 Bendigo, d. 1946 Caulfield
11. Alf Victor b. 1898 Fitzroy North, d. 1944 Fitzroy aged 46

Likely death for his father Nathaniel in 1909 aged 65 in Richmond, son of Matthew & Sarah nee HOWARD (reg 10284) (b. c1844). Eliza Ann died in Clifton Hill in 1936 aged 81 (reg 7886).

THE FLOOD GATES HAVE OPENED!!!

Rachael

Rachael Report 23 Oct 2009 07:33

wow what alot of information.. for the record i have just touched base with my uncle albert- my mothers, older brother(gary).. hopefully all goes well.. thanks guys.. xx

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Oct 2009 00:59

۞ Cherilyn ۞

this link
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ccc909a3ab7bb5970d7bd37a5486e344&action=printpage;topic=312040.0

your right, it apears to be my cousin, your right.. ive added a note on the post but it appears she last wrote on the page over 1 year ago.. i'll see how it pans out.
Thankyou for your help!! i wouldnt have known where to look and youve been amazing!! xxx