Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evelyn Lang, a brushmaker, Bristol, c1905-15

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2009 18:05

Hi
Trying to find any info on Evelyn Lang for my tree. She had a daughter Jean Evelyn b.1931, my mother.
Hoping to hear from someone who can help me
Sue

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 3 Dec 2009 18:20

Did Evelyn bring Jean up,
did Evelyn have a middle name.
and do you know if she married after the birth of Jean?

viv

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 3 Dec 2009 18:27

I ask those questions because there is a possible marriage for Evelyn in Bristol to a Leonard f Cook.

Marriages Dec 1936 (99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lang Evelyn M Cook Bristol 6a 365

There is no birth of an Evelyn Lang in Bristol of about the right age that I can see.

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 3 Dec 2009 18:28

Your Mum was born in Bristol in 1931......there is one marriage in Bristol after this date

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Evelyn M Lang
Name: Evelyn M Lang
Spouse Surname: Cook
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1936
Registration district: Bristol
Registration county (inferred): Gloucestershire, Somerset
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 365
Find Spouse: Leonard F Cook

Lesley

Susan

Susan Report 4 Dec 2009 19:00

Hi Viv and Lesley
Did Evelyn bring Jean up -- No she didn't, Jean was allegedly put up for adoption through a doctor, the adoptive parents' s surname being Boxall.
Evelyn's middle name I believe was Mary, Jean was sometimes referred to as Jean Mary.
As far as I know, Evelyn did marry after Jean's birth.

Many thanks for your help
Sue

carrieann

carrieann Report 4 Dec 2009 19:25

Have pm'd a possible daughter (1937) of Evelyn if the marriage is correct.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 4 Dec 2009 19:45

After looking at everything ,I think this may be Evelyns birth,but you will only know if it comes back with Mary as a middle name.

Births Mar 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lang Evelyn M Turner Chesterfield 7b 1399

After that you will need to cross reference it with the marriage of Evelyn M Lang in Bristol (which you will also have to invest £7 in )to see if they have the same father.

Susan

Susan Report 4 Dec 2009 19:46

Many thanks Carolyn

The Cook surname does ring the faintest of bells as some years ago I attempted to trace my mother's family but have since lost all details. The Cook surname only came to light as a result of this previous attempted trace.
I know it's all very vague.

Regards
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 4 Dec 2009 19:55

Viv

Many thanks again for your research and help. It does look like much more research needs to be done on my behalf. Regarding the £7 fee, would that be with Bristol Register Office?

Regards

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 4 Dec 2009 20:18

Hello susan.

No ,you need to apply for the certs here.

www.gro.gov.uk

That obviously is online at £7 per cert,with the refs that you have from this thread,that we have posted for you.
You will need to register etc,and on the online order form it will ask if you know the GRO refs,tick the yes box.
Do not ever go elsewhere for certs online as that is the OFFICIAL goverment site and 3rd parties will rip you off .

They take between 5 to 7 days to arrive by post.

You can apply to Bristol reg office,but they may charge more ,and take much longer to respond.

Just to add that I did a friends small potted history as a birthday pressie last year and they were Boxalls from Hackney London.

Smallworld with uncommon surnames !

Roger

Roger Report 4 Dec 2009 20:34

Viv, you are brilliant, many many thanks. Will certainly invest the £7 sometime and will then let you know how I've got on.

Re 'Small world' -- I am sure my Boxall's came from the London area, then moved to the Cotswolds and then to Sanquhar, Scotland where grandad Boxall died. He married a Winifred, his second wife.

Regards and best wishes
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 4 Dec 2009 20:40

Viv

Sorry if I've caused any confusion but my last post of 20.34 was posted by my partner Roger when he was logged in. OOOPs!!

The real
Sue (Susan)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 4 Dec 2009 20:50

Please do let us know how you get on ,we all hate unsolved mysteries.,me more than most,being so nosy an all !

Susan

Susan Report 27 Jun 2020 12:46

Hi

Cant believe its 11 years since I last started this search!! I am still searching and would be grateful if you have any info on either Boxall or Lang, you said a way back that you had done some research on Boxall from London. Would there be any connection to my late grandfather, Leonard Boxall born 1901died 1979?

I understand if you are not still doing this ,

Sue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2020 13:08

Sue -
If you want to try contacting Fanny in particular, click on her name in green at the top of one of her posts, and send a private message.

No guarantees that she'll be able to receive or read it, though, for mamy possible reasons after all this time.
It's several years since she posted on the boards - anything could have happened in that time.

Other helpers will be looking at this post now that you've brought it back to the top of the list - but of course we don't know what research Fanny might have done, or if it's related to your grandfather.

Was the 1913 birth cert which you sent for the correct one?

What about the possible daughter of Evelyn and Leonard, about whom Carrieann PM'd you in 2009? Did that lead anywhere?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2020 13:09

Who are you addressing, please?

And what are you asking?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2020 13:15

You mention your grandfather, Leonard Boxall.

Do you mean your mother's adoptive father?
And if so, what do you want to know about him, and what do you know already?

There's no point in our telling you things you already know.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2020 13:16

The couple whose marriage was posted

3 Egerton Road, Bristol C.B., Gloucestershire, England
Leonard F Cook 06 Feb 1909 Male Aircraft Fitter Married 384 1
Evelyn Marjorie Vidovic (Cook) 13 May 1912 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 384 2

So, that Evelyn married again

Marriages Dec 1973 (>99%)
COOK EVELYN M VIDOVIC BRISTOL 7B 233
VIDOVIC JOVAN COOK BRISTOL 7B 233

BUT.....her second forename was not Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2020 13:20

Death

BOXALL
LEONARD GEORGE
MALPASS
831/ 10