Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DOMINIQUE / LLOYD - London

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gai

Gai Report 3 Mar 2011 21:55

Another puzzle! Daniel Matthew BURGESS married Mary Ann DOMINIQUE in 1858. Ancestry have the marriage record - she was a widow and her father was John LLOYD. On the 1861 census Daniel and Mary Ann are with MARY DOMINICK aged 20, Daughter in Law (I think it should be step daughter). Mary Ann's birthdate is around 1817/18 in Covent Garden but there is a matching baptism in 1814. I cannot find a marriage for Mary Ann LLOYD to anyone called DOMINIQUE nor can I find Mary Ann or her daughter in 1841 or 1851 census. Can anyone help?

I have come across an odd marriage of a Mary Ann Lloyd to a Joseph Domini Aneboney (?) in Whitechapel in 1839 but this may be just grasping at straws! Can't find anyone of this name in the 41/51 census either!

Thanks in anticipation - Gai

Flick

Flick Report 3 Mar 2011 22:01

Where was the daughter born?

Gai

Gai Report 3 Mar 2011 22:07

According to 1861 census, St Georges E, Middx (that's Stepney - right?)

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 Mar 2011 22:09

For reference - Marriages Jun 1858 (>99%)
Burgess Daniel Matthew Shoreditch 1c 477
Dominique Mary Ann Shoreditch 1c 477

Gai

Gai Report 3 Mar 2011 22:13

Ooh! I've just found this:

Deaths Jun 1855 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dominico Joseph St Giles 1b 244

Would tie in date wise and right area. Am I still grasping at straws??

G

Flick

Flick Report 3 Mar 2011 22:17

Just for info...........

Marriages Jun 1839 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANEBONEY Joseph Dominick Whitechapel 2 465 <<<<<<<<<
BELLAMY Martha Whitechapel 2 465
COLLINGWOOD Elizabeth Whitechapel 2 465
HIBBARD Daniel Whitechapel 2 465
HILLMAN Susannah Whitechapel 2 465
LLOYD Mary Ann Whitechapel 2 465 <<<<<<<<<<<
RANDS James Whitechapel 2 465
RIX Sarah Stepney 2 465
SMITH James Whitechapel 2 465

Flick

Flick Report 3 Mar 2011 22:19

Name: Joseph Dominick Aneboney
Spouse: Mary Ann Loyd
Father: John Aneboney
Birth: year
Marriage: date - city, Middlesex

You'll need someone with a more expensive sub than mine to check for the bride's father's name

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 22:28

Father of bride IS JOHN LOYD

Name: Joseph Dominick Aneboney - mariner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Spouse Name: Mary Ann Loyd
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 29 May 1839
Parish: St Mary, Whitechapel
County: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Father Name: John Aneboney - husbandman
Spouse Father Name: John Loyd - custom house officer

Edit, John Loyd is a custom house officer, how does that compare to John Lloyd's occupation on Mary Ann Dominique's marriage entry?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 22:33

Hmmm, John Lloyd is a dock watchman on the 1858 marriage - egging it slightly in 1839?

As straws go it's reasonably substantial...

Mike *

Mike * Report 3 Mar 2011 22:34

Good find Flick !

Gai

Gai Report 3 Mar 2011 22:39

Thanks Kucinta - Her father John Lloyd's occupation looks like "dock watchman" to me - do you think that's the same line of work ???

I have just found a possible marriage of the daughter in Bethnal Green in 1865 to a William Brett Norman. Fathers name is Anthony Dominick, a sail maker but the witnesses names give nothing away! Her address is 32 Wellington Place - not the same as in 1861 - that was 24 King Street, Stepney.

Aneboney - Anthony ?? Mmmm

Gai

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 22:43

I think customs house officer and dock watchman are not totally incompatible, especially allowing for either a little embroidery in one instance, or going down slightly in the world over a 20 yr period in the other.

I think you might well have grasped the right straw - wish we could find some census info to back it up.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Mar 2011 22:46

Name: Mary Dommick
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Where born: Middlesex, England

Civil parish: St George in The East
County/Island: Middlesex
Registration district: St George in the East

Mary Ann Dommick 20
Mary Dommick 1

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 22:47

And Janey's just provided it...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Mar 2011 22:53

I did what?? ;)

I think I disproved it, no? She was Dominick in 1841 ...

I suspect the was an unmarried Dominick, possibly the daughter of an unmarried Dominick-Lloyd couple who knew her fahter. Still pondering!

Gai

Gai Report 3 Mar 2011 22:59

Thanks Janey but I'm confused. The Joseph Domini Aneboney marriage was 1839 - so not an unmarried Dominic surely ?

G

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 22:59

Sorry Janey - I thought you'd found married Mary Ann, with daughter Mary who was stepdaughter to Daniel Burgess.

Joseph Dominick Aneboney was a mariner, according to the marriage register, so it would be quite likely he was at sea.

However I can't explain why they dropped the 'Aneboney' bit .

Maybe it's me that's at sea ;)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Mar 2011 23:11

Could be, could be -- the 1841 doesn't give marital status.

Can't find any kind of marriage to fit, or birth for the 1-yr-old Mary.

I'd say it's definitely them, mother and daughter, one way or another.

There are a couple of mariners on the facing page, so a mariner husband, that's possible. And Mary Ann has no occupation, which a single/widowed woman would likely have ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Mar 2011 23:13

Could Aneboney be a very bad reading of Anthony?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 3 Mar 2011 23:20

That's what Gai wondered, re the possible marriage for Mary Jr.

However on the marriage to Mary Ann Loyd the register entry definitely reads Joseph Dominick Aneboney.

However both bride and groom make their mark, so are not likely to have spotted any misspellings made by the clerk mishearing the name.