Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oswald Day Gell (Thompson's) father?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 9 Mar 2012 18:06

Oswald Day Gell Thompson born 1890 Monks Coppenhall Mother Esther Day Gell Baron St Oswald?

patchem

patchem Report 9 Mar 2012 18:10

Have you found them on the 1891 census?
Thanks

Added
Is this his marriage and death?
Marriages Jun 1916
Churn Bertha Thompson Glanford B. 7a 1726
Thompson Oswald D G Churn Glanford B. 7a 1726
Deaths Dec 1930
Thompson Oswald D G 40 Chesterfield 7b 803

Added:
Birth certificate will give Father's name:
Births Mar 1891
Gell Oswald Day Nantwich 8a 324

Astra

Astra Report 9 Mar 2012 18:14

THOMPSON, George Head Married M 44 1847 ?
Messingham
Lincolnshire VIEW
THOMPSON, Eliza A Wife Married F 34 1857
Wootton
Lincolnshire VIEW
THOMPSON, Alice E Daughter F 8 1883 Scholar
Broughton
Lincolnshire VIEW
GELL, Oswald D Nursechild M 0 (3M) 1891
Nantwich VIEW
Piece:
2626 Folio:
66 Page:
5 Registration District:
Glanford Brigg

Civil Parish:
Broughton Municipal Borough:
Lincolnshire

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 Mar 2012 18:20

GELL, Harriet Head Widow F 69 1822 Living On Own Means
Boston
Lincolnshire
Scorbeck VIEW
>>>>GELL, Esther Daughter Single F 27 1864
Hemingby
Lincolnshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piece:
2598 Folio:
101 Page:
2 Registration District:
Horncastle

Civil Parish:
Hemingby Municipal Borough:
Address:
1, Chapel Lane, Hemingby County:
Lincolnshire

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 Mar 2012 18:21

Marriages Jun 1851 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Harriet Louth 14 903
Gell Thomas Betts Louth 14 903

patchem

patchem Report 9 Mar 2012 18:24

Where does the connection with Baron St Oswald come from?

From wikipedia:
Rowland Winn, 1st Baron St Oswald (1820–1893)
Rowland Winn, 2nd Baron St Oswald (1857–1919)
Rowland George Winn, 3rd Baron St Oswald (1893–1957)
Rowland Denys Guy Winn, 4th Baron St Oswald (1916–1984)
Derek Edward Anthony Winn, 5th Baron St Oswald (1919–1999)
Charles Rowland Andrew Winn, 6th Baron St Oswald (b. 1959)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Mar 2012 18:24

It seems he was adopted by the Thompsons:

1901 England Census
about Oswald Thompson Name: Oswald Thompson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Relation: Son
Father's Name: George Thompson
Mother's Name: Eliza Ann Thompson
Where born: Nantwich, Cheshire, England

Civil parish: Winterton
Ecclesiastical parish: Winterton
Town: Winterton
County/Island: Lincolnshire
Registration district: Glanford Brigg
Sub-registration district: Winterton
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 176
Piece: 3103
Folio: 18
Page Number: 27
Household Members: Name Age
George Thompson 54
Eliza Ann Thompson 46
Allice Ellen Thompson 18
Bertha Ann Thompson 9
Oswald Thompson 10
Harry Stancer 5

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Mar 2012 18:27

Suggest you buy the birth certificate:

Births Mar 1891 (>99%)

Catherine

Catherine Report 9 Mar 2012 18:31

for info:-

Births Mar 1891 (>99%)

The district Nantwich is in the county of Cheshire

Catherine

Catherine Report 9 Mar 2012 18:40

THOMPSON, Eliza Ann Head Widow F 55 1856 Wolton Dale Barton Lincs
GENDERS, William Boarder Widower M 57 1854 Platelayer Wolpole Drone Lincs
DAWSON, Thomas Henry Boarder Single M 25 1886 Bricklayer Labour Ruskington Lincs
THOMPSON, Bertha Annie Daughter Single F 19 1892 General Servant Domestic Broughton Lincs
THOMPSON, Harry Stancer Son Single M 15 1896 Milk Hawker Patricroft Yorks
HUNT, Reginald Arthur Boarder Single M 16 1895 Metal Turner Winterton Lincs

4 children all living!

RG number: RG14
Piece: 20079
Reference: RG14PN20079 RG78PN1201 RD424 SD2 ED12 SN388
Registration District:Glanford Brigg
Sub District: Winterton
Enumeration District: 12
Parish:Crosby
Address: 65 Grosvenor St Crosby Scunthorpe
County:Lincolnshire

...........but no Oswald!

Mary

Mary Report 9 Mar 2012 18:47

Did he marry Bertha Churn in 1916.
He died 1930 in chesterfield Derbyshire.

I think this could be him.

1911 4,Crystal Villas Victor street Hull
Oswald thompson 1891 single grocers assistant a boarder born Kantwich North Wales Google that and it gives you Nantwich cheshire North Wales.

Maryb

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 9 Mar 2012 18:47

Baron St Oswald, of Nostell in the County of York, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1885 for the industrialist and Conservative politician Rowland Winn, a former Member of Parliament for North Lincolnshire.

Rowland Winn, 2nd Baron St Oswald ( 1857–1919 ) was a Conservative Party politician in England.
At the 1885 general election, he was elected as Member of Parliament for Pontefract in Yorkshire. He held the seat until his father's death in 1893, when he succeeded to the peerage as Baron St Oswald.
He married in 1892 Mabel Susan Forbes and they had a son in 1893, Rowland George Winn, who, on the death of his father, became 3rd Baron St Oswald.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Mar 2012 18:50

Oswald D G Thompson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Irish Regiment
Regimental Number: 5156

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 10 Mar 2012 15:40

Thanks so much. Appreciate this very much!

My grandfather Oswald Day Gell (Thompson) was born 1890 Monks Coppenhall, Crewe at 15 Brown Street. Esther Day Gell, his mother returned to Hemingby Lincs without him. We have papers which should have been destroyed noting 80.00 twice passing from Esther to the Thompsons in order to relinquish her (Esther) from all future responsibility for him. She died in 1896 from TB, as did he in 1930 wnem my dad was two and living in Bolsover Derbyshire. The papers also stipulated that my grandfather had to be named Oswald Day Gell. The rest is in the ordering of documentation and family word of mouth - may be rumour passed down over the years. A Dr. Baker was said to be involved in the 'adoption' - signing over penny stamp...& grandad was handed over at Ashby station by a uniformed nurse. Esther died leaving a lot of money. She was the youngest daughter of a Wheelwright!? HOpe this helps further and all the above is correct and yes you all have the correct people.
Thanks again,
Janet Mary Gell Thompson. :-)

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 10 Mar 2012 15:40

Thanks so much. Appreciate this very much!

My grandfather Oswald Day Gell (Thompson) was born 1890 Monks Coppenhall, Crewe at 15 Brown Street. Esther Day Gell, his mother returned to Hemingby Lincs without him. We have papers which should have been destroyed noting 80.00 twice passing from Esther to the Thompsons in order to relinquish her (Esther) from all future responsibility for him. She died in 1896 from TB, as did he in 1930 wnem my dad was two and living in Bolsover Derbyshire. The papers also stipulated that my grandfather had to be named Oswald Day Gell. The rest is in the ordering of documentation and family word of mouth - may be rumour passed down over the years. A Dr. Baker was said to be involved in the 'adoption' - signing over penny stamp...& grandad was handed over at Ashby station by a uniformed nurse. Esther died leaving a lot of money. She was the youngest daughter of a Wheelwright!? HOpe this helps further and all the above is correct and yes you all have the correct people.
Thanks again,
Janet Mary Gell Thompson. :-)

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2012 18:11

Thought you might like this
Esther Gell probate to Louisa Gant nee gell wife of Charles william gant £162 14s 2d.
Her mum harriett 1894 probate to John Maddison Gell £12 19s 8d
Thomas Bett Gell died 1876 probate widow Harriett under £200
1891 15 Brown Street Coppenhall monks D12 > 22
Rhoda Dean 1832 widow living on own means born Derby.
2 lodgers.

Rhoda Ellen Stonier married John Smith Dean 1853.

Where is Oswald in 1891???

Maryb.

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 22 Mar 2012 19:11

In 1891 Oswald Day Gell was supposedly with the Thompsons' in Winterton, Cheshire? He was merely born at 15 Brown St Monks Coppenhall and yes, Rhoda was landlady then. His birth was registered there too. His mother, Esther Day Gell moved back to Hemingby Lincs swiftly after his birth and did not have him back there with her.
We would love to discover why he had to be named 'Oswald' Day Gell as this is not a family name in Esther's ancestry etc and they lived so near a Winn family residents in Appleby Lincs. then Yorks. Any way, the Lincs. archivist noted it as a substantial possibility that a 'Winn' of that period was the father in her report on seeing all our info to date.
She had a hunch that Rt. Hon. Algernon James Winn was the father. He was the 1st Baron's 4th son, I believe, but my dad always thought it was Charles Cavendish Winn - 3rd son at this time. They both died young like Esther around 1896.
Any info. gratefully received.
Thanks Janet M Gell Thompson. :-)

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 27 Apr 2012 22:27

Any body got any suggestions re discovering patronage of an illegitimate child born in 1890, apart from DNA testing? I was told re Bonds of Bastardy, but also told re the unlikelihood that one will exist re my granddad, Oswald Day Gell Thompson. See thread for extra details please.

Thanks a lot,

Janet M Gell thompson

PS I wrote to the present Lord St Oswald and he replied, but he couldn't throw any light on my dilemma. :-)

Janet Mary Gell

Janet Mary Gell Report 2 May 2012 18:49

Having read the info re my grandfather, can anyone suggest ways of discovering patronage please?
Thanks Janet :-)

patchem

patchem Report 3 May 2012 00:08

If the father was probably either of two brothers, for the sake of looking at ancestors it does not really matter, as the grandfather will be the same regardless, surely?