Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Miss Lily Flexmore/The Flexmore Sisters

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 1 May 2012 14:39

Does anyone know anything about a music hall contortionist/dancer called Lily Flexmore? I believe she started performing with her sister in the late 1880's. She worked all around the country and spent a short time in New York.

Any information would be gratefully received.

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 May 2012 14:43

Do you know what her real surname was.?
If she was a contortionist It would seem that Flexmore would have been her stage name.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 May 2012 14:44

http://www.elta-project.org/browse.html?type=person&id=3158

http://www.elta-project.org/browse.html?recordId=1711

Jill

Jill Report 1 May 2012 15:17

Hi there all
Yes, I think Flexmore is her stage name too but don't know for sure. No I don't know any other name. I have searched Flexmore but cannot find anything. There are references to her on John culmes website and there are numerous newpaper cuttings which show that she worked all over the country. I've done lots of google searches and looked at the elta project website.

I am hoping to find out her real name and what her relationship was to my ancestor - I believe she was married to one of my great uncles.

Thanks for all help.

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 May 2012 15:29

Presumably you know your great uncles name & approximate date of birth.
If you look for his marriage you will be able to see his wife´s name, or failing that, send for the marriage certificate which will give you her age, maiden name & father´s name & occupation.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 May 2012 16:26

What was your Great Uncles name please?

As Wisechild has said, it may be better to try finding more about you great uncle's marriage and follow it from there.

Jill

Jill Report 1 May 2012 16:52

Hi there
Thanks for suggestions - His name was Albert Henry Dunn b 1898. I'll have a look in the marriage records.
cheers

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2012 17:11

if she started performing in the 1880,s the she would have been considerably older than Albert born 1898

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2012 17:16

Miss Lily Flexmore was announced on the programme as a high kicker and dancer. She succeeded by dind of some force in getting a portion of her left leg over her left shoulder, and her violent excertions said more for her energy than her grace. That she is by no means lacking in the latter qualification she proved in the few steps of her dance. In one of her selections she sang of poor Mary, who, since her advent on the stage, is sometimes liable to forget to come home at all, and at others is given to waking up at six in the morning with ''The Dandy Coloured Coon.'' ''I'm going to wink my eye and kick my tootsies high'' are phrases that Miss Flexmore aptly illustrates, though her vigorous emphasis is more to be commended than her pronunciation. . . .'
(The Era, London, Saturday, 21 January 1899, p. 20b/c) The Grand music hall, Clapham, South London

so she was an adult in 1899.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 May 2012 17:23

???

Marriages Dec 1921 (>99%)

Dunn Albert H Silverton Bradford 9b 406

Silverton Lily Dunn Bradford 9b 406

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 May 2012 17:27

probable child of that marriage in case the name means anything to you

Births Sep 1922 (>99%)

Dunn Ronald Silverton Bradford 9b 287

several children with same surnames but in different areas which may or may not be relevant.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 1 May 2012 17:33

Whilst she may have taken Flexmore as her stage name, are you aware that the surname does actually exist. I found the name on FreeBMD and search records on GR. J

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 1 May 2012 17:35

There's a couple (George/30 and Lily/28) Flexmore sailing to NY in 1907. He's described as a theatr* artist. NOK is given as Mrs Dunn 41? Chester Rd Walthamstow.

Just thought I'd throw that in!!!

Maureen

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2012 17:36

???
Name: Lily Betty Silverton
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1879
Registration district: Halifax
Inferred County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
Volume: 9a
Page: 480

But a bit old to having a child in 1922 she would be c44 years old

Dea

Dea Report 1 May 2012 17:49

Hundreds of women were having children way into their 40's at that time Shirley, and actually many still do.

Dea x

Jill

Jill Report 1 May 2012 17:53

Thanks all,
Yes, maybe I have his dob wrong or maybe I've gone along the wrong track. My 'Dunn's' were all from Bethnal Green and Walthamstow areas so am really interested in the shipping list, thanks Maureen.

I have seen other Flexmore's - I know that there was also another Flexmore on stage.

Thanks again!

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 May 2012 17:54

http://www.britanniavarieties.co.uk/artists1880-85.htm

The Flexmore Trio?

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 May 2012 17:59

I wonder if he is a relative?

Richard Flexmore
Richard Flexmore was the son of a comic dancer of the same name, and was born at Kennington, September 15th, 1824. Began his career at the Victoria ; first appeared as clown at the Grecian 1844. In his first season he broke the small bone of his leg, which incapacitated him for some time; but he appeared the following year at the Olympic as clown. He was for several seasons at the Princess's, and one of his greatest successes was his graceful imitation of the principal opera dancers; the dance he used to accompany by a very clever song. He was seen at most of the theatres in London, and last appeared as clown in Jack and the Beanstalk, at Drury Lane, in 1859. He married in 1852 Mdlle. Auriol, and performed with her a great deal on the Continent. He was most generous, and supported his mother up to the time of his death. He died about 20th Aug 1860 and was buried at Kensal Green.

Louise

Louise Report 21 Sep 2018 18:06

My Grandad's great Aunts. Lydia and Florence Prodger. I have some photos and an article I can post but do not know a lot as still researching. There was another sister too, I need to remember her name. He inherited the house and effects when they had all passed.

Louise

Louise Report 21 Sep 2018 19:05

Just been looking online and there is also a Lily Flexmore so may not be a connection with us? But strange and interesting