Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Hendry/Jessie Melrose Dunedin New Zealand

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 18 Jun 2012 15:04

I am trying to trace the descendants of my Great Aunt Jessie (possibly registered as Janet) nee Melrose (born may 1884 in Tain Scotland) and William Cumming Hendry born September 1884. They emigrated to New Zealand and settled in Caversham Dunedin NZ where they had a bakery business. They had a son - William Allenby Hendry and I think a daughter.

William Senior died in 1964 but I cannot find any details of the death of Jessie Hendry. William Junior was in the NZ Air Force in WW2 and was based in London where he spent time with my grandparents - Helen nee Melrose and Nicholas Fitzgerald de Ros, my dad and aunt. I have not found a death cert for him either so he could still be alive.

New to this so all offers of help very welcome.

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 11:59

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your help

Kind Regards

Christine

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 13:47

I haven't removed an answer. I has pm'd Christine (suggesting she add New Zealand to her request) thinking she may not be looking back at a thread from the day before that had no answers on it.
Here's hoping for some success now.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2012 14:38

Christine:
There is a 100 yr embargo on birth records but here are two that I found on this site:
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2FqueryEntry.m%3Ftype%3DbirthsBirths:

HENDRY
New Zealand 1907.
Child: Williamina Melrose Hendry
Father: William Cumming Hendry. Mother: Jessie

New Zealand 1911
Child: Angela Winnetta Melrose Hendry
Father: William Cumming Hendry. Mother: Jessie

Edit 1:
Angela Winnetta Melrose Hendry was unmarried at 1938 as per Electoral Roll in Dunedin

Edit 2
Williamina Melrose Hendry was killed in a road accident Sep 1909
Link:
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=OW19090915.2.128&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2melrose+hendry--

Anne

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2012 14:46

I think this is the death that you are looking for:

New Zealand Deaths: 1972

Jessie Hendry b 4 May 1884

Anne

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 15:48

Hi Anne

These are certainly their children. I know they also had a son called William Allenby Hendry. Amongst my grandmothers possessions is a postcard from her sister Isabella detailing a tragedy that happened right outside Jessie Hendry's door I am guessing it is the road accident. Thanks for solving that mystery. I know William Junior survived WW2 as NZ air force pilot so hopefully he married and had children or better still has not passed away.

Jessie Hendry was born in May 1884 so I think that is the correct entry. is it possible for me to get a copy?

Thank you so much for your help

Regards

Christine

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2012 16:38

Christine,
There is no William Allenby Hendry on any NZ Electoral Roll and he is not in the household with his parents in any year.

His sister Angela was in the home and unmarried at 1938, but appears to have married Nigel Robinson soon after this date.

Unfortunately,
Angela Winnettta Robinson died in Wellington, 12 Aug 1943, aged 32yrs
Her death is recorded on the BDM site ( link provided on original post) above ) and a death announcement appears in the Evening post of 12 Aug 1943 ( link also provided above)

Anne

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 17:18

Hi Anne

Really appreciate your help. This really is a mystery .I have photos of William Hendry Junior with his family in NZ, with my grand parents in UK and corresponddence with the NZ Airforce his number was 43415.. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross as per the article Paperspast Evening Post 15th September 1944. Angela is not old enough to be his mother. His address is shown as 311 Main South Road Caversham Dunedin which is the same address as William Cumming Hendry - his father and as written in my grandmothers address book.

During WW2 William first trained in Canada before being based in the UK for the remainder of the war. That might explain why he was not on some census. I think that 311 Main South Road was also the address of their bakery business. The postcard relating to Wiliamina's death says that Jessie wanted to move as it happened right outside her front door. I wonder if there are two addresses, one for the bakery and one for their home.

Thank you so much for your time and help with this

Kind Regards

Christine

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 17:19

You may well have this, presume it is Jessie and William. I see from Scotlands People they married in St Machar district, Aberdeen in 1906

Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960

Name: Mr W C HENDRY
Date of departure: 14 June 1906
Port of departure: London
Destination port: Wellington
Destination country: New Zealand

Date of Birth: 1884 (calculated from age)
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Notes:
Passenger recorded on: Page 2 of 6
The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -
Mrs J HENDRY
Ship: RUAPEHU
Official Number:
Master's name: Russell Jaggard
Steamship Line: The New Zealand Shipping Company Limited
Where bound: New Zealand
Square feet: 4222
Registered tonnage: 5069
Passengers on voyage: 200

Mrs J Hendry is given as age 22

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 17:22

?? Did William Allenby Hendry stay in UK after the war or return at a later date
Civil Registration event: Death

Print Close
Name: HENDRY, William Allenby
Registration district: Leigh
County: Lancashire
Year of registration: 1989
Month of registration: August
Date of birth: 19 September 1918
Volume no: 39
Page no: 1829
Reg no: 889

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 17:52

If this is him these are POSSIBLES only - all on freebmd

Marriage
William A Hendry to Hilda Waterfield Sep Qtr 1945 Leigh, Lancs 8C 616

A birth
Hilda Waterfield Jun Qtr 1923 Leigh, Lancs 8C 406 mmn Lee

A death
Hilda Hendry d November 2004 Salford, Lancs DOB 8 March 1923 - if registered late could well be born March

Also on free bmd 2 births Hendry/Waterfield

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 17:55

Hi Stuart

Thank you for the passenger list. I did not have the date or details except a postcard from the ship they sent my grandmother - my dad as a young boy had taken off the stamp for his collection so I had no idea of date.

He definately returned as I have a photo of him with his parents after the war in NZ. There is a yound lady in the photo called Hilda so this could be his wife. However William and Jessie did return to the uk in 1957 and on the return passenger list it showed they had been staying at 209 Donnington Road Glazebury Lancs. It would appear he had met someone in the uk and his parents had come over to visit him and the photo of them in NZ was on a visit to NZ - it was taken Christmas Day. What a great find.It must be him. I think there is/was an RAF base close to Glazebury.

From a christmas card sent to my grandparents - date unknown - it is stated that Jessie is in poor health and the card and message was written on her behalf by her brother in law Alex presumably Hendry. I did wonder why her son had not written it, this explains a lot.

So I have ben looking in the wrong country!

Really appreciate all the help I am getting

Kind Regards

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 17:58

Stuart - you are a star!

Will check out the births on BMD - all this information in a day and Ihave been searching for ages

Thanks to everyone who has helped

Kind Regards

Christine

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 18:09

Glazebury is about 2 miles from Leigh looking at a map and there are details via google of an RAF Burtonwood not far away either.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2012 18:11

Hi Christine,
The address on the NZ Electoral Rolls is indeed 311 South Road, Dunedin, although they did moved in later years whem William snr had retired.
I will double check and let you know of all their addresses up until their deaths
If William jnr is on the Electoral roll listed simply as William, then he will be a needle in a haystack I'm afraid, but as Stuart has found a possible death entry in the UK, it would explain things.
He was possibly under 21 on the early NZ rolls, in active service in the middle years and in the UK in later years.
I will also look a tUK phone books and see if the Donnington Road address comes up

I can only assume that there were 3 children in total
.As both sisters were deceased by 1943 ,no one else appeared on the rolls with the parents.

Anne

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 18:14

Hi Stuart

This is so exciting. I can see why people get hooked on this as a hobby.

I am still at work so had better go home - although this is more fun than watching the football.

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 18:20

Hi Anne

Thank you. I think Stuart is on the right track. What a tragic life for them losing their daughters so young and their son living in the uk.

Do you know what Angela died of or if she had any children? I am so bowled over with all of this help

Christine

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jun 2012 18:54

Computer died, but back again - will PM some details of the children and possible marriage of one of them etc.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2012 20:30

Hi Christine,
Angela was single in 1938 and still living with her parents
Did you look at her death announcement?

No children were mentioned, only her husband Nigel Robinson.
She could not have been married any more that 4 or 5 years.
The death notice calls her Angela Robinson (Hendry)
However, the same death can also located on the BDM site, where her name shows as Angela Winnetta Robinson age 32. leaving no room to doubt it is the same girl

Anne

Anne

cupcakes

cupcakes Report 19 Jun 2012 20:53

Surname: HENDRY
Forename: JESSIE
Date of Death: 18 Jan 1972
Place of Death: DUNEDIN
Last Address: ROSS HOME
Funeral Director
Hope & Sons Ltd, P O Box 5013, Andersons Bay, DUNEDIN
Date of Cremation: 20 Jan 1972