Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck! Help with Watkins / Beddington

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 1 Aug 2012 10:09

I'm a beginner who has come to a dead end (pun not intended). I've been trying to search for my Father's mother. She is listed as Veronica Watkins, formerly Beddington, on his birth certificate. His yob is 1936, Tudor House, Newington Green (Reg. Islington 1b 381). His father is William Frederick Watkins, Fireman LCC, 42 Burma Road, Stoke Newington. The only other record of her name is Erwarton (Suffolk) parish record of my Father's baptism in October 1936 (...son of William Frederick and Veronica of Fire Station Homerton). My father was told his mother had died of TB when he was a year old. The Suffolk church connection may be because my grandfather had an old Naval friend (Bertie Reid) living in the area. There are several of his family (Flemming) photos. Also it appears my father was cared for by this family for a short while after his mother's death (living member's of the Flemming family have been contacted and can provide no help).

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 10:11

Hi Eleanor.
You say she was 'formerly Beddington' - is this her maiden name, or a name from a previous marriage maybe?

EDIT I see it is recorded as her maiden name!

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 10:29

I agree, there doesn't seem to be a trace of her, at least not as Veronica Beddington. Can't see a marriage either, like yourself. Do you know where your grandfather was born? Just to give an idea of where we should be looking.

This is the only thing I found of any kind, doesn't seem likely does it!

Name: Veronica Boddington
Birth Date: 7 Sep 1919
Date of Registration: Apr 1986
Age at Death: 66
Registration district: Chiltern and Beaconsfield
Inferred County: Buckinghamshire
Volume: 19
Page: 971

Jan

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 10:31

Glad its not just me...I also agree I cannot find anything...including a marriage.

Regards Vera

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 10:33

Have you checked the electoral register for the address? Just on the off-chance there is a name variation or a middle name.
Jan

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 10:45

Veronica Watkins
Electoral Year: 1937
Parliamentary Division: Hackney
County or Borough: Hackney

William Frederick also there 97/99 flat 4, Homerton High Street, Hackney

Regards Vera

Gee

Gee Report 1 Aug 2012 10:49

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1847-1965
about Veronica & William FrederickWatkins
Name: Veronica Watkins
Electoral Year: 1937

Flat 4 Homerton Hight St

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 10:50

??????? No Veronica.

William Frederick Watkins
Electoral Year: 1938

John and Alice Flemming also living there

22 Stoke Newington Common

Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 10:55

William Frederick Wat-Kins
Electoral Year: 1939
Parliamentary Division: Hackney North
Alice and John Flemming also living there 22 stoke newington common....probably flats.

Regards Vera

Mary

Mary Report 1 Aug 2012 11:07

Veronica Watkins age 85 (Maybe a mistake) died J/F/M 1938 Bromley Kent
2a 1003.

Maryb

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 1 Aug 2012 11:10

Thanks for all the speedy replies so far! My grandfather, William Frederick Watkins, was born in Woolwich on 22 May 1904. His father died when he was a year and his mother, unable to care for 5 children, placed my grandfather and 2 of his sisters in Bristol Orphan House. Two girls stayed with family in Devizes. In 1915 William was removed by his mother, after she trained as a nurse, to live in Somerset. William joined the Navy on his 16th birthday. Sometime in 1934 he joined the fire brigade and was based at Homerton fire station. In 1954 William became a lock keeper at Sheering, Essex. He died in 1962.

I found a death record for a Veronica Watkins in 1938, in Bromley, Kent. However, she was 85...My father said he was sent to live with two old ladies in Kent, after staying in Suffolk. It is a long shot (and expensive) but do I order a copy of this death certificate in the hope that the age at death was copied incorrectly?

To Jan: As a novice I don't know how I go about checking the electoral register! Do I go to Kew?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Aug 2012 11:17

Name Watkins, William Frederick
Official Number: J96635
Place of Birth: Woolwich, Kent
Date 22 May 1904
Catalogue reference ADM 188/840
Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services
Piece 96501-97000

(above Record can be downloaded £3.50, below link)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7117656&queryType=1&resultcount=84

Chris :)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 11:17

Eleanor, electoral registers are usually searched in person at the nearest main library to the address. They can be a valuable source of information.
However, luckily for you, a lot of London registers are online and have been searched already by Vera and Gins (see above) with no further clues.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 11:19

I wonder if they might have married abroad in view of William's career.
I suppose if it were me I might send for the death cert. if only to exclude it.
Jan

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 1 Aug 2012 11:27

Huge thanks to all! My father will be really happy that there is at least one more record of his mother. He is 76 and in recent years has been desperate to find out more about his mother.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 11:34

I might be inclined to alter heading to 'Findmypast lookup please new query', so it is obvious this is a new request. They have records of overseas marriages for British nationals. Only a few members have FMP membership so you need to attract their attention.
Worth a try.
Make sure you come back and let us know if you find anything out, I am intrigued by this one!
Jan

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 12:04

Will look for you.

Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 1 Aug 2012 12:10

Had a look on FMP sorry no luck.
Regards Vera

tempest

tempest Report 1 Aug 2012 12:13

this is the closest I'm getting at the moment

Civil registration event: Marriage

MarriageFinderâ„¢: Frederick W Watkins married Vera P Hobby

Name: WATKINS, Frederick W
Registration district: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Year of registration: 1935
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Spouse's last name Hobby
Volume no: 2C
Page no: 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: HOBBY, Vera P
County: Hampshire
Year of registration: 1935
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Spouse's last name: Watkins
Volume no: 2C
Page no: 19

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2012 12:28

The above Vera re-married 1941:

Name: Francis C R Burlefinger
Spouse Surname: Watkins Or Hobby
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1941
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 213

She was born Vera P. Hobby in 1912 so doesn't look very promising, but having said that there is nothing else!

Jan