Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sarah addis irish look up

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 7 Sep 2012 10:55

sarah married michael mcbarron had two daughters but then was widowed in 1901

1903 married james armstrong of weir st belfast and had 5 children but not sure what huband had died of but he was widowed in 1902/3 and had a son james born ligoneil abt 1879.

I would like to trace desentants of james and sarah but i think she then married after james died possibly 1937 ish and she remarried nicholl but cant be sure. was still in weir st belfast in 1930/40. as seen on street directories but dont know when died or his son to 1st marriage to elizabeth ???,

can anyone point me to right place to lokk plz

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Sep 2012 11:07

1901 -for ref.

Residents of a house 11 in Pernan Street (Shankhill, Antrim)

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Mc Barron Sarrah Ann 30 Female Daughter Church of Ireland County Antrim Yarn Spinner in Mill Read write - Widower -
Kennedy Eliza 23 Female Daughter Church of Ireland County Antrim Yarn Spinner in Mill Read write - Widower -
Kennedy Alice 1 Female Grand Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast, County Antrim - - - - -
Mc Barron Claria 2 Female Grand Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast, County Antrim - - - - -
Mc Barron Eliza Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Church of Rome Belfast, County Antrim - - - - -
Addis Robert 54 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland County Armagh General Smith Read write - Married -
Addis Eliza 56 Female Wife Church of Ireland County Armagh House Keeper Read write - Married -

Residents of a house 24 in Wier Street (Shankill, Antrim)

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Armstrong James 49 Male Head of Family Prisbiterian Co Antrim Cementer In Shipyard Read and write - Married - 8 - -
Armstrong Sarah Ann 38 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Cannot - Married - 8 6 6
Armstrong Edward 7 Male Son Church of Ireland Belfast Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Armstrong Mary Ann 5 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Armstrong John 3 Male Son Church of Ireland Belfast - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Armstrong Sarah Ann 1 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast - Cannot read - Single - - - -
McBarnes Clara 12 Female Step Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
McBarnes Elizabeth 10 Female Step Daughter Church of Ireland Belfast Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -

Gee

Gee Report 7 Sep 2012 11:30

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911
Name: Sarah Ann Addis
Birth Date: 22 Nov 1868
Birth Place: Belfast No 5, Ant, Ireland
Baptism Place: Belfast No 5, Ant, Ireland
Father's Name: Robert Addis
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Greenaway
FHL Film Number: 101175

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 7 Sep 2012 11:30

thank you i see on these 1911 it show he 8 yrs married but i think in 1901 james is with wife and son elizabeth and james so that means that he married while still married to elizabeth unless she deid in 1902/3 but cant see that he would of married striaght away or he would of been going out with sarah surely before they married. confusing or were did elizabeth go??

Gee

Gee Report 7 Sep 2012 11:47

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: Sarah Ann Addis
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1898
Registration district: Belfast
Volume: 1
Page: 324 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101259

Spouse: Michael m Mabarron

Gee

Gee Report 7 Sep 2012 11:57

Ref

Residents of a house 13 in Sancroft Street (Shankhill, Antrim)

Armstrong James 40 Male Head of Family Prespterian Co Antrim, Ballymena Cementer of Boats Read and write No Married -

Armstrong James 18 Male Son Prespterian Belfast, City Legouees Labourer in Ship Building Yard Read and write No Not Married -

Armstrong Elizabeth 37 Female Wife Prespterian

The 1911 census where it states married 8 years, fits with a marriage in 1903. Maybe Elizabeth died just after the 1901 census

This looks like her death. When in 1903 did Sarah marry James?

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958
Name: Elizabeth Armstrong
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1903
Death Age: 35
Death Country: Ireland
Page: 189
FHL Film Number: 101602

Cant see a marriage for Sarah and James in 1903. There is a marriage between a James Armstrong and Elizabeth Addis????

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 7 Sep 2012 13:09

james and elizabeth addis is the same james of sancroft st above in 1901 census aged 18 yrs old. on the elizabeth death she is 35 in 1903, but in census she 37 in 1901. i dont seem to find a marriage in 1903/4 for sarah and james at all but her name is changed i have found a sarah pentland marrying a james but is same one. if i could find james at 18 birth then i will find his mum maiden name of elizabeth who died in 1903. she was born glasgow on census

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Sep 2012 13:33

???

name: James Elbert Armstrong
registration district: Belfast
event type: BIRTHS
registration quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1884
volume number: 1
page number: 244
digital folder number: 4193461

1911 (James (Junior) living in the same street as his father and same occupation as James (Senior)

Residents of a house 18 in Wier Street (Shankill, Antrim)

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Armstrong James 29 Male Head of Family Prisberterian Co Antrim Cementer Shipyard Read and write - Married - 7 - -
Armstrong Elizabeth 31 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Antrim - No Cannot read - Married - 7 5 5
Armstrong Robert 6 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Antrim At School No Cannot read - Single - - - -
Armstrong Lizzie 4 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Armstrong James 2 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Armstrong David Male Son Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Cannot read - Single - - - -
Kennedy Alice 11 Female Step Daughter Church of Ireland Scotland Scholar Read and write - Single - -

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Sep 2012 13:38

Name: Elizabeth Kennedy
Registration District: Belfast
Event Type: MARRIAGES
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1903
Estimated Birth Year:
Age (at Death):
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number: 101260
Volume Number: 1
Page Number: 278
Digital Folder Number: 4199362
Image Number: 00278

Name: James Armstrong
Registration District: Belfast
Event Type: MARRIAGES
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1903
Estimated Birth Year:
Age (at Death):
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number: 101260
Volume Number: 1
Page Number: 278
Digital Folder Number: 4199362
Image Number: 00264

Gee

Gee Report 7 Sep 2012 14:30

Oh gawed, Im lorst!

I thought it was Sarah Addis/McBarron that married James Armstrong in 1903?

:-S

Maura

Maura Report 7 Sep 2012 19:27

Related thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/armstrong/thread/1227324

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 9 Sep 2012 09:53

Sarah Addis and elizabeth i believe were sisters who married father and son. James was born in ligoneil but i cant find the birth for 1879 as he states on wedding cert he is 24 yrs old and i cant find any of his dads 2 marriages either but on the census in 1901 vit shows elizabeth from scotland so I wonder if he married her there then she came to live in belfast. I dont know if there was issues in 1st marriage other than James but would love to find these details. Thank you for you help

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Sep 2012 13:10

Sorry for the confusion Gins. James Armstrong's son James also married in 1903. His wife was Elizabeth Kennedy born Antrim who may have been a widow as her child Alice born in Glasgow is living with them in 1911.

On the 1911 census Elizabeth is listed as the daughter of Robert addis i.e. the sister of Sarah.

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 7 Jan 2013 20:15

I have went to belfast gro and also proni and I cant find marriage or death cert for James armstrong of 4 wier st in 1918- 1969 nor can I find his sons death cert James junior of 42 wier st 1916-1937 living at address. Most of the sons lived in the same street over the years ie James snr son John lived at 46 weir st and James jnr 2 sons lived at 42 weir in 1939-1970 Thomas Armstrong and wife edith, thomas died in 1958. James (son of james at 42 weir st) lived at 31 with wife isabella (annabella) 1943-1980 til it was all knocked down. I really need help to get these death certs because they are not in the gro nor proni wills. dont know were else to look

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 18 Feb 2013 01:11

james armstrong and sarah ann mcbarron or mcbarnes was stated as married but i cant find a entry proving this. sarah died 20.8.1941 belfast but still cant find james armstrong snr death in the cemetry ith her or his kids edward and John or mary and sarah ann jnr
:-(

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 15 Mar 2013 14:12

I cant find sarah mcbarron nee addis marrying james armstrong but i found her death as 21.8.1941 buried roselawn.

looking to see if her son edward born 1904 daughter maryann born 1906 survied her and married. I know her son john born 1908 lived til he was a hundred died 2008 married dinah niblock from 46 weir st belfast, dont know if they had children.

lastly daughter of sarah ann born 1910 named sarah ann im unsure if she married or died in infancy but I dont know what connection Harrison and mckibbin has to the mother Sarah ann but she is buried with these in same graveplot.

The Harrison and Mckibbin lived 10 arygle street in the 1920s-1954 when william harrison died.

I think possible one of her daughters married william.

Any information of the connection between these will help or family issed from children of sarah armtrong (which says she was a spintser when died but dont know whom was informant)

Gee

Gee Report 15 Mar 2013 16:24

There is this marriage but no spouse has been entered?

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: James Armstrong
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1911
Page Number: 527
FHL Film Number: 101262

The Irish 1911 census was taken on April 2nd, so this marriage would fit

Maura

Maura Report 15 Mar 2013 16:43

Going by there age on the burials, this could be them

Census Years1911AntrimShankillBerlin StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 52 in Berlin Street (Shankill, Antrim)
McKibbin William 73 Male Head of Family Presbyterian City Belfast Retired Draper Read and write - Married - 18 - -
McKibbin Margaret 44 Female Wife Presbyterian City Belfast - Read and write - Married - 18 - -
Report any error in transcription

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 5 Jun 2013 13:12

I thought Sarah Ann Armstrong from 4 Weir Street Belfast was a Relation I was Searching for but I have just got back from Belfast and found out while there that this is the wrong Sarah.

The only last Address I have for Sarah Ann Armstrong is 66 Pernau St Belfast in 1912 with Husband James and Children Edward Mary Ann John and Sarah Ann Jnr.

I dont know where else in information and paperwork I can look to find this Family.

I have found out that John Armstrong had a Daughter Dinah in 1930s and she married George Scott in 1960s but I cant find if Edward and the Sisters were married and had Children.

Can someone help with which sites to look for these as I have done Street Directories, GRO, PRONI, and National Health.

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 3 Jul 2013 13:02

I am not able to trace the death of Michael mcbarron of Belfast abt 1900 1901 but on his daughters Elizabeth birth certificate 1901 shows her father deceased.

the family was living in most of the houses in pernau street from 1897.

Michael was older than sarah ann when married and in pension age.

As your help found that sarah then met and had children with james Armstrong after death of her husband past.

Ive not been able to trace the 4 childrens marriages or deaths. Ive only found their birth certificates. I couldn't find any marriage for James and sarah either so could it be possible they could just of lived together?

Sarah and James last seen together 1911 living weir street and I cant find them after that. please can anyone help me find any on this information BMD or were they moved. Thank you