Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1st ask for help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 20:31

Hi all not sure if im doing this right or not never been any good with blogs etc. any way here I go.

I am wanting to find more details on my father in law and his Family he was born on june 14th 1930 in Brantford canada Jean Andre De neef Turner. Farher Henry robert Turner (1910) and mother Alice Gustervine (De Neef ) Turner(1902)I have a copy of their marriage certifcate they married on July 27th 1928 in surrey Register office. If any one can help me find more info about them I would be most grateful.

thanks

Fiona
:-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2012 20:57

That marriage certificate should tell you the names and occupations of the fathers, and the names of the witnesses to the marriage.

The names of the fathers are important to help us find more information.

The names of the witnesses are often of help, if they are relations.

Please can you post those names.

Sylvia

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 21:09

Hi thanks Henry`s farther is Henry Turner and alice`s farther is Alexandre Louie Marie De Neef it says he was dead at time of the marriage. witness both smith one i cant make out the initial and the other is F.

thanks

Dea

Dea Report 26 Oct 2012 21:19

???

Was his father Henry John ??

1911 census transcription details for: 13 Urswick Road Battersea
Print Close

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN2196 RG78PN75 RD26 SD2 ED8 SN274
Reg. District: Wandsworth
Sub District: North West Battersea
Parish: Battersea
Enum. District: 8
Address: 13 Urswick Road Battersea
County: London
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born
TURNER, Henry John Head Married M 39 1872 Carman Deptford Kent
TURNER, Mary Ann Wife Married 16 years F 37 1874 Chalk Farm Middlesex
HUTCHERS, Edward Stepson Single M 11 1900 School Battersea Surrey
HUTCHERS, John Stepson Single M 9 1902 Battersea Surrey
TURNER, Henry Robert Son Single M 1 1910 Battersea Surrey
WEIGHT, Walter John Visitor Single M 33 1878 Horsekeeper Clapham Surrey
WEIGHT, Bert Augustus Boarder Single M 21 1890 Sawyer Battersea Surrey

Dea x

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 21:19

Hi I have just reliased I have given a wrong birth year for henry robert it should be 1880. as at the time of his marriage to alice in 1928 he is listed as being age 48 sorry for confusion.

fiona :-S

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 21:27

Do you have an occupation for Henry Robert?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 21:28

2 births for that period:

Births Dec 1881 (>99%)
TURNER Henry Robert C Pancras 1b 124

Births Mar 1881 (>99%)
TURNER Henry Robert Chesterfield 7b 734

Jan

Dea

Dea Report 26 Oct 2012 21:28

For reference:

Marriages Sep 1928
De Neef Alice G Turner Richmond S. 2a 1633
TURNER Henry R DE NEEF Richmond S. 2a 1633

Fiona, can you please delete your other thread and we can continue on here.

Thanks,

Dea Xxx

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 21:30

HI jan yes it says on marriage certifiate Decorative artist an on his death cert it says retired decorating contractor.

thnaks

fiona

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 21:30

Another question! Had he been married previously?
Jan

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 21:35

I dont know I have only been given marriage and death certificates by my mother in law dont think anyone knows any more info soz.

fiona

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 21:49

It should say if he was a bachelor or widower. Doesn't matter too much but any bit of evidence might offer a clue!
Do you have an address on the cert?
ADDED names of witnesses too please.
Jan

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Oct 2012 22:07

oh god im so stupid it says batchlor. marriage was in richmond register officecounty of surrey 27th july 1928 witness where both called smith one initial i cant make out and the other looks like f.

thanks Iam new to this help up until now i have managed to do all my own research. but with my father in law been born in canda has made my search difficult. I am retiring for the night now so any replies wont be seen until i return.

thanks everyone

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 22:13

If you have an address for him, put it here, you never know, might be a clue 1911 (latest available census) though timespan a bit too much to be of use I suspect.
Unless it is London I don't think anyone will be able to search the electoral register online. It might be possible to ask staff where records are kept to have a look. Other household members might offer a clue (or not!).
I assume you are certain of age, he was rather old for a 1st marriage?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Oct 2012 22:53

Just one more query! Did his the family then return to the UK - I assume you have this?

Births Jun 1935 (>99%)
Turner Jeannette M De N De Neef Brighton 2b 231

If you are over here, you might be able to investigate the electoral register in person - if near enough!

jan

Fiona

Fiona Report 27 Oct 2012 18:28

Hi thanks Jan Ithought he was a bit old for his first marriage but it definatley says age 48 on marriage certificate the address for both henry and alice is writen as 9 Gloucester Road Kew. I would like to find out when they went to canada and returned too. the Jeannette you found seems to be Jean Andre(1930) sister. I am in england but at the other end of the country!!! Getting inof from other family menbers id virtually nil either they dont want to know or just can`t remeber i hope its the latter.

thanks

Fiona

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Oct 2012 18:43

There was an Alice Voaden living there 1911 so no use. Some Turners were living along the road, but this is a fairly common name so I suspect unrelated. Will put them anyway!
Suggest you try asking for an electoral register search nearer the time they married, maybe they will be nice and do it for free!

1911 England Census

Name: William Turner
Age in 1911: 70
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Coggs, Near Witney, Oxon
Civil parish: Kew
County/Island: Surrey
Street Address: 61 Gloucester Road, Kew
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Richmond
Registration District Number: 41
Sub-registration district: Richmond

William Turner 70
Rebecca Turner 59
Henry John Turner 27
Mary Eliza Crocker 41

Jan

Fiona

Fiona Report 27 Oct 2012 18:54

Hi Jan Do you mean ask for a electrol search on here sorry but iam a bit green with all this. i have mastered the art of the census if I have enough info but anything else iam unsure of how to trace people.

thanks

fiona

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Oct 2012 20:28

I am not sure if electoral register will be online for Kew. I know London ones are. Tell you what, I shall put out a general query and get back to you.
If not the only option is to inquire at the place the registers are kept - usually nearest main library.
Speak to you in a minute.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Oct 2012 21:52

It doesn't look like you can access these online. I am not certain, but having had a look around i think records might be at the Surrey History Centre - if not, they will be able to tell you where they are:

Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND

01483 518737

[email protected]

www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistorycentre

Jan