Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Index Help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 11 Dec 2012 21:40

Would anyone know if any death records/registrations were ever destroyed or damaged for the Preston Lancashire England area from approximately 1868 onwards.

Thanks Chris

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 11 Dec 2012 21:56

I dont know if any were destroyed or damaged Ozqid. Did you want a death lookup. I will have a look if you post details.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 11 Dec 2012 22:15

You could always look at this site.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Click on Search and it will take you to another page then you can put the name in and
Year but always put extra years on in the drop down box..

Also you could put just the surname in as you may get more results..
the site is for Baptisms,marriages and burials.
Very good site

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 11 Dec 2012 22:20

Thankyou Sylvia, I have death certificate for an ancestor of mine which is the only possible one that could be him, myself and other family members and relatives have all researched this as much as we possibly can with our limited knowledge. We have the Cemetery Register to match the Death which was obtained on line from the records office. I still have doubts about this being our relative which is why I posted if anyone knows of any death or burial records being damged or lost for the Preston Lancs area. To add: the death and burial records are for Sunderland Durham and Tyne area and that is why I am wanting to know if it is at all possible that records for deaths or burials for the Preston Lancs area are not complete for one reason or another. If I can get an answer on this then I will post details of who and what I have got to seek further help in solving our problem.
Thanks Chris

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 11 Dec 2012 22:27

Thaniks Santa Sue - No luck at all on that site for burials

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 Dec 2012 22:28

You could email the Lancashire records office, they would know

[email protected]

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Dec 2012 22:44

Not sure why you refer to two completely separate areas in your post..............

It might be simpler just to post the details, and see what happens

You say you have the death cert...........so what causes you to doubt its relevance?

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 11 Dec 2012 22:46

Thanks Mike - will do that

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 11 Dec 2012 23:14

Hi Reggie

Not sure how to reply to your answer, I'm mainly trying to save genes members from covering what I have searched for the 100th time and wasting their time.
But, if your keen my ancestor is Thomas Anslemn Ribchester, however his birth certificate gives his registered name as John Anslem Ribchester, we know from Census that Thomas Anslem is what he was known as from the 1851 Census onwards, there is no doubt whatsoever that I have the wrong family. He married Mary Donaldson in 1864 at St Walburgh Preston, they had 3 children, Margaret 1865-1868, John 1866-1947 my GGrandfather, Isabella Annie 1868-1871. Apparently the Census records for the Preston 1871 area that we need were damaged and unfortunately that information is not available to us. No record found on the 1881 Census for Thomas or Mary, we know from Census that John b.1866 lived and was brought up by Mary's sister Flora and her husband. We have found no trace of a death for Thomas except for the one in Sunderland, Durham which could be a match but I'm not convinced yet without further research. Hence the post for information on possibly some death records being damaged or destroyed. Not proved yet, but we think Mary Ribchester his wife (nee Donaldson) remarried in 1874 and had children from this marriage but never had her son John from her marriage to Thomas live with her again. Have also not been able to find a death for Mary so am tending to think she had this second marriage. Certificates will of course confirm, however I'm trying to make sure if any death records may have been destroyed or damaged along with the 1871 Census for the Preston area.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Dec 2012 23:16

Could you give the details from the death cert which you say is in your possession, please.

"I have death certificate for an ancestor " etc.........

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 Dec 2012 23:36

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1843
RIBCHESTER John Anselon- Preston Preston - WINSTANLEY

from a tree on Ancestry ....

Thomas A Ribchester
Birth abt 1843 in Preston, Lancashire, England
Death Apr 1873 in Durham, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 Dec 2012 23:39

Is this him in 1851 ? ( Ribchester on Original )

John Tibchester 57 - Chipping
Alice Tibchester 53
Catherine Tibchester 28
Ellen Tibchester 19
Thomas A Tibchester 7
Ann Tibchester 22
Martha Tibchester 10 Mo - Gd daughter
William Myerscough 29 -son in law
Mary Myerscough 26 - daughter
Alice Myerscough 1 - Gd daughter
Alice Poulton 10 - servant

Was he really Alice's son ? ... she would have been 46

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 12 Dec 2012 00:01

Hi Mike
Yes, and Yes this is my ancestor and yes he was Alice's son according to the birth certificate.

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 12 Dec 2012 00:30

Reggie,
Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I was half way through typing in the details and the phone rang when I got back to the computer in my haste I forgot I hadn't submitted the info, so here goes again.

Death Certificate Info
Reg. Dist. Sunderland
Sub Reg. Dist South Bishop Wearmouth
County: Durham
1. 3rd April 1873 at The Infirmary
2. Thomas Ribchester
3. Male
4. Age 29
5. Occ: Colliery Stoker
6. Cause: aneurism certified
7. Informant: Hannah Frater in attendance Cornhill Southwick
8. Registered 7th April 1873

My concerns regarding this certificate being a record of my Thomas Anslemn Richester, firstly no initial for middle name, occupation - please note our Thomas was a Schoolmaster/Teacher, our family as far as we know have no connection yet found to Durham.

We have found a Thomas Kibchester on the 1871 Census living in the Easington District of County Durham it looks to be an obvious spelling or transcription error and I'm sure it's supposed to be Ribchester, he is a lodger in the household of Mary Irwin and his occupation is Theatrical, I suppose this would be acceptable or plausible him being a schoolmaster/teacher that he went into the Theatre as a performer, however two years later on his death his occupation is a Colliery Stoker. I suppose one does what one had to in those times to make ends meet, it just doesn't ring true with me though.

The Cemetery Registers for Sunderland District obtained on line from Durham Records on line are:
Record Number 414464.12
Cemetery: Bishopwearmouth Cemetery
Denomination: Any
8 April 1873 Thomas Ribchester of Hawthorn ( a village in East Durham between Seaham and Easington ) occupation, Fireman, died at the Infirmary.

As you can see some things fit and others don't so I have a niggling feeling about this, hence my enquiry as to whether its possible some death records/registrations may have been lost, damaged, destroyed for the Preston area in Lancashire along with some parts of the 1871 Census for that area.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Dec 2012 10:42

The 1871 census for Dawdon records the man as unmarried.......although that is not necessarily significant. If he'd abandoned his wife and child, he would try to cover it up. And his second name was fairly unusual, so he may have omitted to mention it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Dec 2012 10:48

The BMD records would not have been stored in the same place as the census, so it would seem very unlikely that any would have been lost etc.........

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Dec 2012 10:57

Who registered this death?

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1871
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
RIBCHESTER Isabella 2 Broughton Preston BRO/10/54

Unfortunately, it was before the census was taken, but there should be an address on the cert

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 12 Dec 2012 14:49

I've had a reply from the LRO regarding death registrations for the Preston area they have suggested I email the certificates office to be fully sure that there are no gaps in the records. I need to get Isabella's death certificate so will do this at the same time. The other suggestion is to check the burial registers for Preston Cemetery which in my case is not practical. Unfortunately these registers have not been name indexed.

Mike *

Mike * Report 12 Dec 2012 18:22

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01772 794585

Ozqld

Ozqld Report 12 Dec 2012 23:05

I've emailed the certificates office regarding any possible gaps in death records/registrations.

Mike, Ive found that the Preston Cemetery has all the Burial Records on microfiche at the records office not practical for me however been given a list of people willing to search for me for a small fee.

Have found this site:
www.cemsearch.co.uk/preston/preston.html - Cached
Preston Old Cemetery Records - Burial Records - Inscriptions, Preston Cemetery
Lancashire England UK. A useful tool for family tree research.
There are apparently 5 graves for Ribchester's 16 with Ribchester surname 4 with other surname which I get as a total of 20 people however it is saying a total of 24 people, apart from that it appears the cost is 6pound could someone have a look and let me know if this site should be used, sorry but I'm very caution of giving bank details and payments over the internet, has anyone used this site before that may be able to give some advice. I'm pretty sure it would be 6 pound for all the information however a little confused as to whether it would be 6 pound per person.