Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please sign to have 1921 census

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 Feb 2014 17:35

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49199

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Feb 2014 17:57

I have said many times I will not be signing this petition.

It has been mentioned so many times on this site and still has not got much support.

Gee

Gee Report 1 Feb 2014 18:50

I'd love to see it........I'm mercenary!

:-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 19:36

No sorry no can do,

How would you like to post your details on the internet? people on the 1921 census gave info on the grounds that it was confidential and would not be made public for 100 years

That is just one of several epetitions over the 1921 census that has failed to gain support and for anyone to think as stated on that particular petition "Many people that are on the 1921 census are not around now to issues of peoples rights should not be affected!"

If one person is still around their rights are their rights and not yours or ayone else to decide if they have been affected or not,

When the 1911 census was releast early my aunt who was on that census and still alive and still living at that same address was mortified, She has since passed away

If the 1921 was releast early as people are living longer now then there will be more people in that position than with the 1911 census

Roy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Feb 2014 22:05

My friend's great grandfather was born in 1910 and was absolutely thrilled to bits to get a copy of the 1911 census on his 100th birthday showing him with his parents and elder siblings - he had it framed and put up on the wall.

I'd love to try and find out where my errant grandfather was in 1921 ....

BUT - I won't bother signing the petition as it won't make a hap'porth of difference. It costs government money to make this available - who is going to meet the cost?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 2 Feb 2014 11:49

The researcher in me would love it. But my moral compass would hate it. The information released in the 1911 census could have been quite upsetting to anyone old enough to have been included on it. And, with people living longer, it is even more likely going forward.

The other thing with the 1921 census is going to be the number of children born who couldn't possibly be their fathers' children....how would you like it if you suddenly found out something like that that you may not have been aware of?

Jude

cane

cane Report 2 Feb 2014 13:09

personally speaking, i see nothing wrong at all with this census being published early,...Far too many do gooder's..we are already being charged over the odd's for certificates, which appear to be going up with each slice of bread :-| Come on get rid of all the stuff & nonsense and lets see this census..before we cant even afford to buy bread..Rant over :-P

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 2 Feb 2014 15:31

Cane,

Certificates have been the same price for some time so where your "going up" comes from I know not!

I am not a do-gooder....I have just put myself in the position of someone born in say 1917 who suddenly finds out that their father couldn't possibly have been their father!

Jude

jax

jax Report 2 Feb 2014 16:04

We are very lucky in England/Wales with what records we can access already....far more than other countries

As for certs I have only bought 4......1st one cost approx. £20 as I stupidly bought it via Ancestry, the other 3 cost £9.25 from 2010 until now.....but most things I have been able to find online without having to fork out for them

1921 would be nice but if there is a ruling they should stick to it

cane

cane Report 2 Feb 2014 17:15

when i started this family research stuff, the cost was £7 for certificates..The cost now is £9.25...Hey Jude i certainley was not pointing fingers..i was speaking from the heart..i just picked up on reading some pointers from your message...sorry i called it a Rant x

jax

jax Report 2 Feb 2014 17:20

They have been £9.25 for 4 years so hardly going up with each slice of bread

cane

cane Report 2 Feb 2014 17:29

and how long from now until the cost goes up further...

cane

cane Report 2 Feb 2014 17:31

God i wish there was a "like " button on here

jax

jax Report 2 Feb 2014 17:41

What if it does?? the staff still need paying or should their wages stay the same so you can do your family history cheap

You expect to pay more for other items and services over the years...why not certificates

cane

cane Report 2 Feb 2014 17:55

haha certificates had no need to go up,we have a very greedy government lol...Ime sure that you are aware that this government rakes in Millions of cash through unclaimed Probate each and every year...what a load of poppy cock (pardon the pun)

Gee

Gee Report 2 Feb 2014 18:27

Jax, you can do your family history cheaper if you are searching places with parish records....

Mine are not available :-(

S Yorks is a pain in the butt

jax

jax Report 2 Feb 2014 18:51

All my family history is English.....they also all ended up in London which helps but then moved to an Essex London borough which didn't help.

This is a hobby which I choose to do the census's are no use to anyone if they are not interested in family history.

When I have spoken to my mum about what I have found......her reply was 'I am not interested in the living ones (meaning her siblings) so why do I want to know about the dead ones?'

So who would pay for this to be transcribed if it ever happened early?.....which it probably wont anyway

I pay to subscribe to ancestry and FMP plus here at a cost of approx. £270 a year plus used Seax for a month last year bringing it up to £300......so its not that cheap

I could buy some death certs or other marriages I don't have.....but only buy them if stuck which luckerly hasn't happened very often in my direct family

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 2 Feb 2014 20:42

I would happily pay for the Records Office to do a "look up" on a specific question from the 1921 census. Feelings appear to be mixed on the question of early release. I believe the USA release theirs after 30 years, and most other countries after 50. Does that cause problems? Bob

jax

jax Report 2 Feb 2014 20:49

I believe the USA is 70 years as 1941 has just been released

Who are these other countries? Canada has strict privacy laws and Australia destroy theirs after they take the info they need.....never seen a NZ one but could not comment about there

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Feb 2014 21:28

It's more about the moral issue,

If we seek to overturn the 100 year closure rule on the census then were and when do we draw the line?

Should we seek to publish all historic documents regardless of closure rules

May be we should be totaly open with all records

It would be great if i could search online for any info what so ever even if i had to pay, Just think how easy it would be for anyone to find anything out about You and Me,................. NO thanks

I know plenty of people who think that being able to search the BMD index for people who are still alive as wrong and even some who think that being able to get a copy of a BMD cert for living people to be immoral.

Roy