Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anne GORDON and Quinten McBLAIN

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 16 Feb 2015 01:21

According to family legend Lady Annie GORDON eloped with her coachman, Quinten/Quentin/Quintin McBLAIN/McBLANE presumably in 1801/1802. They lived in Perthshire, Scotland and their dates of birth would be somewhere at the end of the 18th century. Their first child was John McBLAIN/McBLANE (there do some to be variations on the spelling) born about 1802, followed by Catherine McBLAIN b about 1804, Elizabeth born about 1806, Gilbert, birth date unknown and my ancestor, Quentin McBLAIN born about 1817 in Kilmarnock, Ayshire.

Quentin Jnr married Mary STRATHDEE on 11 Dec 1840 in Ayrshire.

I have most of the info. from Quentin Jnr down to the present day.

My problem is - I cannot seem to find anyone called Lady Annie Gordon, supposed daughter of the Duke of Gordon in that time frame.

I would love to know: (a) her birth date, date of marriage and date of death and also the birth and death dates of her spouse Quentin McBlain senior.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,
Sue from NZ

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Feb 2015 04:09

the Duke of Gordon at the relevant times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Gordon,_4th_Duke_of_Gordon

b 1743 died 1827

daughters were Charlotte 1768, Madeleine 1772, Susan 1774, Louisa 1776, Georgiana 1781

The only one who sounds like an Annie is the last one and she married the 6th Duke of Bedford in 1803 and had issue

don't we all have these tales in our trees? :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Feb 2015 04:25

if your Quentin Sr had a son Gilbert, a father Gilbert might make sense

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTK2-GCM

Name: Quintine Blain
Christening Date: 29 May 1776
Christening Place: , STRAITON, AYR, SCOTLAND
Father's Name: Gilbert Blain
Mother's Name: Elisabeth Ramsay
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11617-4 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1041471

trees at familysearch have the parents as

Lady Annie Gordon 1791 Perthshire
Quinten McBlain 1787

absolutely no sources

and they would not have been eloping in 1801/2!

did your Quinten Jr live and die in Ontario Canada? ... matches some records at familysearch

emigrants were sometimes especially fond of ancestral tall tales :-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2015 10:54

Hey Joonie! I resent that! I'm an emigrant, are you accusing me of telling tall tales? Well, maybe, sometimes.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2015 11:01

Is this his death?

Quintin McBlain

in the Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947
Record Image View

Name: Quintin McBlain
Birth Year: abt 1817
Birth Place: Scotland
Age at Death: 79
Death Date: 11 Jul 1896
Death Place: Huron, Ontario, Canada

Age was 79 years, 6months, 14 days.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2015 11:20

A tree on Ancestry says that Ann Gordon was born 1791, Kenmuir Castle, Perthshire but that would have made her aged 11 when her first child was born.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2015 11:30

According to Wikipedia the estates had been forfeit at the time of her birth so she couldn't have been Lady Ann.

The 6th Viscount took part in the Jacobite Rising of 1715 and was subsequently beheaded and his estates forfeit. By 1790 Kenmure Castle was described as a ruin.[4]

The viscountcy was restored to Captain John Gordon in 1824

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Feb 2015 11:44

See Wills on Scotlandspeople free to search and can be bought and downloaded for £5.,---------each lineage seems to have left a Will and gives date of death.

Sue

Sue Report 16 Feb 2015 22:34

Thanks so much for all the replies - I'm almost glad that it's not only me scratching my head over this one. I just thought perhaps I was going mad!
Would love to know the real story though.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Feb 2015 23:11

there's a peer in my lineage too, according to the now long-deceased tale teller :-D
... not sure how the daughter of an ag lab married to a son of an ag lab ran into him when they didn't live anywhere near ... but it would explain a lot of loopholes in the 'real' story! I think there was indeed an irregular birth or two there, but I think the daddy was probably the farmer's son next door ...

actually there's a real peer on the other side of the family ... but only if you count up about 8 generations and back down a few again to where the money from that distant generation of wealthy farmers ended up and a life title was bestowed ... while mine in that line were prosperous tradespeople ...

mind, a sibling of the spouse of a sibling of the spouse of a sibling of the ancestor with the tall tale did have a daughter who married a peer ... long chain of marrying up, there :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Feb 2015 23:23

There are these births:

09/09/1806 MCBLANE ELIZABETH QUINTIN MCBLANE/ANNE GORDON FR517 (FR517) F MAYBOLE /AYR 605/00 0030 0065

20/07/1802 MCBLAIN JOHN QUINTIN MCBLAIN/ANNE GORDON FR501 (FR501) M MAYBOLE /AYR 605/00 0030 0049

18/07/1804 MCBLAIN KATHARINE QUINTIN MCBLAIN/ANNE GORDON FR501 (FR501) F MAYBOLE /AYR 605/00 0030 0049

Credits on ScotlandsPeople would let you view/save/copy/print the image. Unfortunately, as it's an OPR, it doesn't give any more info than in the transcription, except that they lived at Pinmore

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Feb 2015 00:15

well they fit rather perfectly :-)

just for info, Quinten in the censuses

Name: Quintin Mcblain
Birth: abt 1816 - Ayrshire, Scotland
Residence: Tarbolton, Ayrshire
with wife Mary, daughter Janet and Mary's sister Janet

Name: Quinten Mcblain
Spouse: Mary Strathdee
Birth: abt 1818 >>> Maybole, Ayrshire
Residence: Kilwinning, Ayrshire

Name: Quinton Mcblain
Spouse: Mary Mcblain
Birth: abt 1818 - Maybole, Ayrshire
Residence: Kilwinning, Kilwinning, Ayrshire

Sue

Sue Report 17 Feb 2015 01:56

OK - thanks for that JoonieCloonie - I'm still coming to grips with the site and wasn't sure whether I should send message them or add to comments so thanks for letting me know that. Appreciate it.

This Annie Gordon is a real mystery lady. There's no doubt she existed - she keeps coming up as being the mummy with Quinten McBlain being the daddy to their kids. I've just been going over the LDS site again - with no luck there either.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Feb 2015 02:15

:-)

what I wonder is about your Quinten actually being a junior ... do you have references to his parents on a document, like his marriage record?

there is just such a large gap between those three documented births and your Quinten's

I would wonder whether the whole connection between him and Quinten Sr and Ann Gordon isn't just something somebody latched onto when they saw similar names

what does the McBlain+Strathee marriage record say about their parents?

I think this was probably you a decade ago :-)

http://www.scotland.com/forums/clans/18221-looking-macblain-clan.html

The only records for a birth of a Quinten are:

20 Dec 1790 MCBLANE QUINTIN
Parents: JAMES MCBLANE/JANNET MCKELLOP FR376 M MAYBOLE

17 May 1792 MCBLAIN QUINTIN
Parent: JAMES MCBLAIN/ M KIRKOSWALD

I just keep wondering about this one

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKS-WM9

Name: Quinten Blain
Christening Date: 09 Oct 1818
Christening Place: , KIRKOSWALD, AYR, SCOTLAND
Father's Name: James Blain
Mother's Name: Janet Mcclellan
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11601-2

Sue

Sue Report 17 Feb 2015 02:55

I confess I don't have any legal documentation from back then - it was hand written and handed down from generation to generation - but it has come down to me and also gone down to other cousins far and wide, across trees all over the place. Of course that doesn't make it a true and proven fact but it has certainly spread across the world, time and a lot of descendant families.
We do know that the youngest child of Quentin McBlain and Annie Gordon was purportedly a "Quentin" born around 1817 and he went on to marry Mary Strathdee.
That's not me on the Scotland link page although I have come across that and looked at it too.
The Muskoka person says he is coming down through Quentin and Mary Strathdee's eldest daughter, Janet - my line is coming down through their 4th child - James.
But he has the same dates I was given about Anne Gordon and the first known Quentin.
I agree there does seem a big gap between Anne and Quentin's third child Elizabeth born in 1806, then Gilbert then Quentin around 1817. Not impossible if there were some miscarriages or unrecorded births.
There doesn't appear to be any firm record of Anne and Quentin's marriage - they all say around 1800 - but then they all say she was born around 1791 which is ridiculous.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Feb 2015 11:30

Muskoka doesn't claim that Anne was Lady Anne Gordon.

It'a more likely that she was an Ayrshire farmer's daughter.

OPR's are patchy, so the marriage record may have been lost, destroyed, or not made in the first place.

The only Ann(e) Gordon birth/baptism record on SP, in Ayrshire, 1760-95, is this one below.

17/07/1772 GORDON ANNE ALEXANDER GORDON/ F DAILLY /AYR 585/00 0010 0159

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Feb 2015 12:38

Re Anne's supposed aristocratic background:

There is no Kenmuir Castle in Perthshire.

The Dukes of Gordon (mentioned in Sue's OP),were Aberdeenshire-based - though doubtless had homes elsewhere, too.

In Kirkudbrightshire (next to Ayrshire), there was a line of Viscount Gordons, at Kenmure Castle, near New Galloway.
This is the family referred to by Margee, and they were distant relatives of the Aberdeenshire Dukes of Gordon.

"The Gordons of Kenmure were a cadet branch of the Aberdeenshire family, possibly descended from the 14th century Sir Adam Gordon."
http://gordoncastles.wikia.com/wiki/Kenmure

If Anne had aristocratic blood, it's more likely that she was one of the Kenmure bunch, as it's nearer Ayrshire.

As far as OPR records on SP go, these are the only possible Kirkcudbrightshire births, but none of them are particularly close to New Galloway:

18/05/1781 GORDON ANN JAMES GORDON/ F TWYNHOLM /KIRKCUDBRIGHT 883/00 0020 0041

31/01/1788 GORDON ANN
ROBERT GORDON/MARION CONCHIE FR31 (FR31) F KIRKMABRECK /KIRKCUDBRIGHT 873/00 0010 0026

21/06/1791 GORDON ANN THOMAS GORDON/MCGEE MITCHEL FR127 (FR127) F KIRKCUDBRIGHT /KIRKCUDBRIGHT 871/00 0010 0231

I suppose it's possible that one of those fathers was some relation of the Kenmure Gordons!
Otherwise, as already agreed, it's just a nice romantic story.

Sue

Sue Report 18 Feb 2015 00:17

Thank you everyone - yes, I think I have to compromise and know that there was an Anne Gordon but that she wasn't necessarily a Duke's daughter. Got to be realistic about these things despite the pretty story. :-)

EJ

EJ Report 3 Sep 2017 11:42

Hi Sue,

I am adding my lineage to ancestry.com and have also came to a stump with 'Lady Annie Gordon', through who I am related via her son QUINTON MCBLAIN (married MARY STRATHDEE), and his son James McBlain.

Below is what I have been given through a family member which may be of interest to you. I was born in Hamilton, NZ and believe I also have relatives still living in Hamilton, Canada (my Nana lived with them for a year when I was a child).

It sounds like we may be related...

Descendants of Duke of Gordon
Generation No. 1
1. DUKE OF1 GORDON. Child of DUKE OF GORDON is:
i. ANNIE2 GORDON.
Generation No. 2
2. ANNIE2 GORDON (DUKE OF1). She married QUINTON MCBLAIN. Notes for ANNIE GORDON: Lady Annie Gordon is one of five daughters of the Duke of Gordon of Argilshire. Lady Annie Gordon is said to be tall , slight, with flaxen hair, a beautiful women. Annie was crippled in one leg. Notes for QUINTON MCBLAIN: Quinten Mc Blain of Kenmuir was said to be 6'2' with black curly hair and very good looking. He was a coach driver for the Gordons. He had two brothers but we don't know what clan they belonged to. Marriage Notes for ANNIE GORDON and QUINTON MCBLAIN: When Lady Annie GorDdon decided to marry Quinten McBlain her family disinherited her and her friends abondoned her for marrying below her station in life, as he was a mere coachman. Annie decided she would follow Quiton where ever he would go, as the Gordons made sure he was unable to work anywhere in the area. They left Kenmuir and went down to Kilmarnack, Ayreshyre and settled there. They had four sons and one daughter. Two of there sons went to Alaska with the goldrush and one had a farm in Reddeer. When Annie father died her brother allowed her back into the family. Children of ANNIE GORDON and QUINTON MCBLAIN are:
i. JOHN3 MCBLAIN.
ii. GILBERT MCBLAIN. 3
iii. QUINTON MCBLAIN, b. 1817, Kilmarnack, Ayreshyre, Scotland; d. 1898, Keatley, Brussells, Ontario.
iv. JAMES MCBLAIN.

Regards
Emma

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Sep 2017 03:37

Leaving aside the tale of blue blood ... there may be some facts in the rest of it.

Canadian census records at Ancestry show this interesting family:

1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta

Name: Alex Mcblain
Racial or Tribal Origin: Scotch (Scotish)
Nationality: Canadian
Marital Status: Married
Birth Year: 1844
Birth Place: Scotland
Year of Immigration: 1866
Home in 1916: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Spouse: Isabelle Mcblain
Religion: Baptist
Can Speak English: Yes
Can Speak French: No
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Employment status: Working on Own Account
Employer: Farm

Alex Mcblain 72
Isabelle Mcblain 65
Quinton Mcblain 41
Allan Mcblain 27
Kale Mcblain 25
Lizzie Mcblain 23
Duncan Mcblain 20

They were in Red Deer in 1901 as well.

In 1891, the family was in New Westminster, British Columbia:

Alex McBlane 44
Isabella McBlane 40
John Pleasted 26
Mary McBlane 19
Jennet McBlane 18
Quinton McBlane 15
Isabella McBlane 13
Alex McBlane 10
John McBlane 8
James McBlane 7
Anne McBlane 4
Allen McBlane 2

The eldest girl and boy in the household, Mary and Quinton, would have been named for Alex's parents (by convention, there should have also been an older girl named for Isabelle's mother), so that does seem to be a child of Quinton Jr and his wife Mary Strathdee.

The children's births in Ontario starting in 1873 can be seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/y8k6gtze

And yes:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMFL-DX8

Name Alexander Mc Blain
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 29 Apr 1870
Event Place Hibbert, Perth, Ontario, Canada
Gender Male
Age 25
Birth Year (Estimated) 1845
> Father's Name Quinlin Mc Blain