Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deacon family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Effie

Effie Report 15 Apr 2015 21:55

Hi I have been doing the Deacon family but have not put it on my tree as I cannot find who I should connect it to and have asked Yvonne to let me know how we are related to the Deacon but havn't heard any more about this. I have been going through all the census's as am trying to find out who John Deacon b.4/04/1807 Westbury Wiltshire parents were also to go back as far as I could. He married Eliza Butler b.1812 Battle East Sussex and they married on 28/08/1836 St Mary Newington Southwark London also they had seven children and I have found who their partners were and families. I have been on the family search, find my past, andf many others but to no avail and it is frustrating when you do not get what one needs so would be grateful if you could please help me. Yvonne who is my cousin has got the Deacon's on her tree GR but I cannot find who she is related to. I wonder if the Bunker's are in this as I do have some of the Bunker's in my tree but most of them are from Bedfordshire and the Bunker's in Bedfordshire are my relations whereas the Deacon's on my cousin's tree come from Wimbledon and I have written all of the Deacon's from Wimbledon and Camberwell also have found their partners and some families but as I mentioned before I just do not know how to connect them.
Thank you
Effie Lewis

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 15 Apr 2015 22:03

Please search for Yvonne's numerous threads as a great deal of information has already been posted

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2015 22:15

Effie, here is one of the threads

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1350007

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1350790

malyon

malyon Report 16 Apr 2015 12:31

John Deacon
England and Wales Census, 1881
Name: John Deacon
Age (Original): 74
Birth Year: 1807
Birthplace: Westbury, Wiltshire, England
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Marital Status: Married
Address: 9 Old Field Road
Event Place: Wimbledon, Surrey, England
Record Type: Household
Affiliate Publication Number: RG11
Piece/Folio: 830 / 34
Page Number: 61
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
John Deacon Head M 74 Westbury, Wiltshire, England
Eliza Deacon Wife F 67 Battle, Sussex, England
Elizabeth Connally Lodger F 63 Scotland

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Apr 2015 16:10

(taken from above)

am trying to find out who John Deacon b.4/04/1807 Westbury Wiltshire parents
were

How is this date known?, where was it taken from...

Chris :)

County Bedfordshire
Place Tingrith
Church St Nicholas
RegisterNumber
MarriageDate 31 Jul 1634
GroomForename Hen
GroomSurname DEACON
BrideForename Alice
BrideSurname BUNCKER

Baptism
County Bedfordshire
Place Houghton Regis
Church St. Michael
BaptismDate 17 Apr 1611
Forename Alice
Sex F
FatherForename Timothy
FatherSurname BUNKER
Notes Apr 17/7 or 26.

Baptism
County Bedfordshire
Place Clophill
Church St. Mary
BaptismDate 06 Nov 1608
Forename Hen
Sex M
FatherForename Hen
FatherSurname DEACON

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

(from above free to use link)

(no idea how it fits in, if at all!)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Apr 2015 19:40

A tree on Ancestry says that John Deacon's (1807-1895) parents were Joseph Deacon (1764-1845) & Mary Rymell (1766-)

Effie

Effie Report 16 Apr 2015 23:53

Thank you for letting me know who John Deacon b.1807 Wiltshire parents were, am still trying to find a connection to who they are related to and have asked Yvonne but have not heard from her or she hasn't put it on tree. I am sure one of the Bunker's (on my side) married a Deacon in Bedfordshire but somehow cannot connect the ones I have written down those from Wimbledon and Camberwell
Again many thanks
Effie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Apr 2015 07:40

County Wiltshire
Place Corsley
Church St Margaret
RegisterNumber
MarriageDate 19 Dec 1785
GroomForename Joseph
GroomSurname DEACON
GroomParish Otp
BrideForename Mary
BrideSurname RYMELL
BrideParish Otp
WitnessOneForename James
WitnessOneSurname WATTS
WitnessTwoForename Hester
WitnessTwoSurname RIMELL
Notes Banns

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Still wondering how, and where that date for John has come from...

(will leave this now, as too confusing!)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 17 Apr 2015 19:32

I'm confused too. However if you manage to trace back to the Henry Deacon/Alice Bunker couple, let me know and I'll take you further back.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Apr 2015 20:08

I find your message as confusing as Yvonne's. You say that Yvonne is your cousin? First cousin? How are you and Yvonne related? Perhaps we can start from there and work backwards.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 17 Apr 2015 20:24

That's a good idea, margee. I have a huge Deacon tree, but none are from Wiltshire.
If any link turns up, I'll join in.

Effie

Effie Report 17 Apr 2015 23:40

Hi thank you for getting back to me. John Deacon b.1807 Westbury Wiltshire married Eliza Butler b.1817. I found the birthdate of John Deacon b.1807 on one of my searches on the tree but cannot remember which one to be honest.
You asked how Yvonne and I are related, she is my 2nd cousin 1 x removed, two of the Douglas's married two of my Ott's and they were James Douglas b.1857 Southwark London who married Ann Alice Ellen Ott b.1858 Newington Southwark and they were married on the 27 Mar 1881 at the Parish Church Camberwell they had 7 children and one of them Alice Helen Douglas b.1889 Camberwell Soiuthwark married William John Ott b.1879 Walworth London (his second marriage) and they were married on the 13 May 1923 Registry Office Lewisham London. Because of that Yvonne says that she has the same GtGtGrandparents as I have who were Thomas Mills Ott b.1852 and upwards, is that correct?
Please let me know
Many thanks
Effie

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2015 23:41

My feeling is that both Yvonne and Effiie are taking names and trying to make them fit instead to tracing back

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Apr 2015 12:48

OK, I understand that you and Yvonne are related through the Ott and Douglas families but where does the name Deacon fit in?

Effie

Effie Report 19 Apr 2015 16:58

Hi - thought I'd let you know that I have got Alice Bunker b.1611 Tingrith Bedfordshire and she married Henry Deacon b.1609 Clophill Beds and they had eight children. I have been doing the researches about the Deacon's in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire. They are on my side of the family and the other Deacon's from Wimbledon are not on my side. I have been tracing back for my family and I double check before I put them on my tree. I wasn't happy when Clare in Wales mentioned that Yvonne and myself were taking names and trying to make them fit instead to tracing back. I am sorry but Yvonne is a confused person and she is not well but I am not confused and try to do my job properly.
Effie

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Apr 2015 17:13

But you said in your opening post that you don't know who to connect the Deacon family to and you're trying to find out from Yvonne how you're related. Why would you be researching the Deacon family in the 1600's when you don't know if you're related? Surely the rule in genealogy is to work backwards from the names in your tree. Do you have a Deacon in your tree?

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 19 Apr 2015 20:09

If you share great grandparents then you are second cousins.

Second cousins once removed means that one of you's great grandparents are the other's great, great grandparents

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Apr 2015 20:33

I am looking at Yvonne's trees on Ancestry 'Ott' and 'Douglas' and there are no Deacon's listed to give any clue... as far as I could gather from Yvonne's posts all her Deacon info came from you Effie, which was, I assumed, why she was needing to see your tree again.

I think so many people have tried to help Yvonne, but she is confused and so are we now as to what, if any, the Deacon link is, whether in Bedfordshire or London areas.

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Apr 2015 20:41

This from another tree on Ancestry is the line of the Wimbledon Deacons, how correct it is I don't know but it seems about right from a quick glance?

John Deacon ( westbury Wilts
1807 –

Eliza Deacon ( sussex)
1812 –

Show siblings
Spouse & Children

Myrtilla Johnston Clarke
1847 – 1922

Edward Deacon
1866 –

Myrtilla L Deacon
1868 –

John Joseph Deacon
1870 –

Susan Gracey Deacon
1873 – 1934

Caroline Deacon
1875 –

Mary Deacon
1878 –

Emily Deacon
1882 –

Walter F Deacon
1882 –

Frederick Deacon
1885 –

Charles Deacon
1888 –

Josephine Deason
1891 –

Effie

Effie Report 19 Apr 2015 22:39

Hi all those Deacon's from Wimbledon and Camberwell are not on my tree so Yvonne did not get them from my tree at all.
All my Deacon's that I have got on my tree are from Bedfordshire mostly and they are my family.
When I first saw the Deacon's on Yvonne's tree I first thought it must have been something to do with my Deacon's as well but it was not to be. Both Deacon's are different families I believe. I knew I had a Bunker involved with the Deacon's and I did find that Alice Bunker b.1911 Bedfordshire married a Henry Deacon b.1608 Bedfordshire and I am related to the Bunker's.
Regards
Effie