Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK to Australia & NZ Passenger-Sarah Anne Titcombe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Jun 2015 08:03

Hoping someone can look up please.

Sarah Anne Titcombe nee Banks, born in 1884, from Birmingham supposedly went to Sydney, Australia sometime after the 1935 death of her daughter, Constance. Her husband Leonard died in Birmingham in 1920. According to a family member she first went to Australia probably after 1945 (she is on the Birmingham electrol roll up to 1945) then at some point she came to NZ. She was definitely in NZ in 1967.
My question really is.........did she go to Australia first for a few years or did she come straight to NZ where her brother in law and sister in law lived and when??
She died in NZ in 1981

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Jun 2015 08:36

Name: S A Titcombe
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 07 Apr 1947
Event Place: Wellington, New Zealand
Birth Year (Estimated): 1885
Ship Name: Wahine
Departure Port: Sydney
Departure Date: 1947
Arrival Port: Wellington
Arrival Place: Wellington

Digital Folder Number: 004466318 , Image Number: 00079

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1609792

(New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jun 2015 08:46

Before I saw Chris's post above, I was going to suggest the following:

Sarah Ann Titcombe
in the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Name: Sarah Ann Titcombe
Electoral Year: 1958
Subdistrict: Ramsgate (181d Ramsgate Road)
State: New South Wales
District: Barton

She's also listed at the same address in 1949 and 1954.
But that doesn't fit in with the 1947 date of immigration, so not the same person.

There are assorted records of various Sarah A Titcombes in both Australia and NZ, but the one Chris posted certainly seems to fit very well.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Jun 2015 09:07

No Electoral Rolls were complied in the UK during the years of WW2

I can see no record of her emigration on FMP.

Gee

Gee Report 1 Jun 2015 09:35

For ref

Name:Sarah A Titcombe

Year:1945

Residence Place:Birmingham (Shaftmoor Lane)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Jun 2015 09:57

Thank you Gins

That must have been the first one after the end of the War.

Still can't see her leaving UK, but the immigration info looks relevant

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Jun 2015 10:34

Yes that is her in 1945 in Birmingham. Maybe I should be checking census records.
Will look again in the morning......it's bedtime for me??

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jun 2015 11:20

Related - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1352142

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Jun 2015 12:37

You didn't comment on Chris Ho's helpful post

Which census records do you refer to?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Jun 2015 21:36

I'm sorry Jacqueline........it was bedtime for me last night and I was trying to get things sorted and needed to ask my husband for some details.

From what we do know Sarah Anne came to live permanently in NZ about 1960. My husband was at College at the time and she built a house opposite his grandmother who was her sister in law in Foxton. He also remembers her visiting in the years before that and he checked with his sister who said she came from Australia for those visits, so it is likely that the 1947 list that shows a Sarah Anne coming from Sydney to Wellington as being one of her visits. We believe she lived in Sydney.

So it probably makes sense that some of the records ArgyllGran saw do belong to our Sarah Ann.
I just need to work out when she left the UK to Australia and then to NZ, although as you can see we have now narrowed that down.

My apologies too for starting another thread about the Titcombes.......I thought it best to separate Sarah Ann out from the others as I am still working on the Titcombe Line before Sarah's father in law.
Jenny
:-)