Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Sep 2015 23:15

Maybe someone can help, looking for the parents of Anthony Geddes Thomson born March 1939 in Marylebone, London, Death 1993. The descendants are sure he was a only child, so I started looking for marriages around and before 1939 in that area, first with the fathers name as Anthony Thomson then Thomson marriage's to a Geddes, ending in every combination I could think of with no results.
Any help welcome.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2015 23:30

Just so we can see what you've found

Births Mar 1939 (>99%)
Thomson Anthony G Geddes Marylebone 1a 694

So his mother's maiden name was Geddes.

Have you considered purchasing his birth certificate? That would give the names of both his parents. If his mother had been married before, she may have married in her previous husband's surname.
Of course, they may not have married at all!

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Sep 2015 23:48

That's my next option, just thought I would ask the question first in case I had missed something.
Thanks for your reply

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2015 00:13

How did you come by his name? If it was a marriage, do you have the certificate for that?
The MC ought to show his father's name.

Assuming they did marry, are there any stories that it might have been in Scotland, especially if one or the other of the parents were Scottish.

As you probably know, Scottish B,M & D indexes are held on Scottlandspeople.

Nicola

Nicola Report 6 Sep 2015 00:37

I am searching for the son of Anthony G Thomson who knows nothing apart from the name Geddes connected to the above, so with only the birth and death info I have nothing else to go on. I am waiting on more info. I am sure you have all heard " can you trace my family tree" and then find that they know nothing at all.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2015 07:44

Not sure what you are looking for , are you saying its Anthony's son who wants to find info about Anthony??

It's possible that his mum may have been married before so your best is to get Anthony birth certificate to see who his parents were .

When you know that you can look on freebmd for the marriage and for their deaths

Not everything can be found online I,m afraid , Certs are needed for info and verification

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Sep 2015 07:50

The birth certificate would be a good place to start...there are ten Thomson/Geddes marriages in Scotland between 1930 and 1946

1941 THOMSON GEORGE GEDDES CHRISTINA ABERDEEN EASTERN DISTRICT ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN 168/03 0032

1933 THOMSON JAMES GARIOCH GEDDES ELIZABETH ANDER ABERDEEN NORTHERN DISTRICT ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN 168/01 0219

1930 THOMSON ROBERT GEDDES FRANCES ISABELL MORNINGSIDE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/07 0058

1937 THOMSON KENNETH CAMPBEL GEDDES ISABELLA ABERDEEN EASTERN DISTRICT ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN 168/03 0222

1934 THOMSON JAMES GEDDES JANET RATHVEN /BANFF 164/01 0009

1940 THOMSON ALEXANDER MCALP GEDDES MARGARET GARDIN BONNYBRIDGE /STIRLING 473/00 0014

1943 THOMSON ALEXANDER GEDDES MARGARET JANE MACDUFF /BANFF 155/A2 0010

1943 THOMSON JOHN GEDDES MARY CANONGATE AND PORTOBELLO EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/03 0215

1942 THOMSON CHARLES GEDDES MARY GRANT SHETTLESTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/01 0383

1946 THOMSON JAMES GEDDES MARY HELEN STONEHAVEN /KINCARDINE 255/00 0030

Jude

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2015 09:32

With so many potential marriages in Scotland, you're deffinantly going to have to buy the BC!

Jude has been very generous using her own credits to look them up. :-)

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 11:28

Possible for Anthony b1939:

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name: Anthony G Thomson
Year:1961
County or Borough:Willesden
Ward or Division/Constituency:Willesden Green
Street address:27

living with Isabella and Kenneth C

This would tie in with one of the marriages Jude found:

1937 THOMSON KENNETH CAMPBEL GEDDES ISABELLA ABERDEEN EASTERN DISTRICT ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN 168/03 0222

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Sep 2015 12:06

Oh Potty - good find!

Anthony's death

First name(s) ANTHONY GEDDES
Last name THOMSON
Gender Male
Birth day 2
Birth month 3
Birth year 1939
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1993
District WESTMINSTER
District number 2581C
Register number C37C
Entry number 049
Date of registration mm/yy 0493
County London
Country England
Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

And this is the death for Kenneth Campbell Thomson

First name(s) KENNETH CAMPBELL
Last name THOMSON
Gender Male
Birth day 7
Birth month 2
Birth year 1909
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1991
District EALING
Register number 491
County London
Volume 12
Page 5
Country England
Probate died 29 March 1991 address 26 Clauson Avenue Northolt Middlesex

And this is possibly Isabelle

First name(s) ISABELLA
Last name THOMSON
Gender Female
Birth day 7
Birth month 9
Birth year 1895
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1980
District EALING
County London
Volume 12
Page 0074
Country England

Probate died 10 June 1980 address Kent Lodge Pittshanger Lane London W5

Nicola, if these are the parents the marriage certificate is available to download. Let me know and I can do that for you

Jude

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2015 12:49

You asked if Anthony was an only child.

His is certainly the only Thomson / Geddes birth in England & Wales 1937-50.

If any siblings were born in Scotland, it's impossible to know, as it's not possible to narrow it down using mother's maiden surname on ScotlandsPeople for births from 1855 onwards. And Thomson is such a common name.

Nicola

Nicola Report 7 Sep 2015 19:36

Thanks everyone,
I have just had some more info, Anthony G Thomson parents were Kenneth Campbell Thomson and Isabella Geddes.
So well done all who got there before me.
Next question how do I go about getting the marriage cert for Kenneth and Isabella?
Can I order online?
Thanks again for all your help.

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Sep 2015 19:40

Jude has offered to download the marriage cert for you.

Nicola

Nicola Report 7 Sep 2015 20:04

Thats a great offer from Jude,
should I contact her through private message?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 7 Sep 2015 20:17

Sent by pm

Father Andrew Thomson (caretaker) Mother Rebecca Thomsn nee Campbell - Kenneth Sanitary Engineer Kilburn

Father William Geddes (deceased) shipbuilder Mother Elizabeth Sudding Geddes nee Nichol
Isabella Port Gordon

So guessing from this that Elizabeth Nichcol's grandmother was Sudding

Jude

Nicola

Nicola Report 7 Sep 2015 21:40

Just a thought,
If Isabella Geddes was born in 1895, wasn't she rather old to have her first child(Anthony Geddes Thomson) in 1939?
Isabella married Kenneth Campbell Thomson in 1937 in Aberdeen, also she was 14 older than Kenneth? surely she was married before?
I understand that Scottish records are hard to come by so I am really gratful for all your help.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 8 Sep 2015 02:10

Isabella was a spinster aged 27 at the marriage...so the death and probate is not her (I did say a possible)

Jude

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Sep 2015 19:58

Hey Jude (sorry couldn't resist) Thanks for all your help,
I couldn't see marriage cert you sent by PM (don't know why the envelope was there, then when I clicked on it it disappeared) From your last message am I right in thinking Isabella was born in 1910? this makes more sense. Then again the death of Isabella in Ealing in 1980 seems right too. I have spoken to Steven (grandson of Kenneth Campbell Thomson) and he is sure Isabella died some years before Kenneth and that she was from a well to do family. this fits with the Geddes Shipbuilding history. I have searched the net for William Geddes and found no mention of a daughter Isabella?. Steven is 100% certain of the names of his grandparents, he says they both had scottish accents and Isabella had a sister who was very well off. I know you will make more sense of this than me, so asking for your help once again.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 10 Sep 2015 20:07

1911 census probably..pm'd

Jude

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2018 18:24

Hi Nicola
I have just come across your request for information on anthony thomson. I realise that it is few years old now, but am wondering how you got on with your searches. I will be able to help you as I am Anthony,s cousin and have done the family history for his mothers side of the family (geddes).
If you are still interested please contact.
Regards Ian Gordon