Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alfred Greenhill 1811-6/12/1851

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Feb 2018 11:17

I have found a death for my g.grandfather Alfred Greenhill...born Rolvenden Kent 1811 married to Rachel Exall 1833..5 children (all accounted for). Widowed 1845..left for France leaving children in workhouse and lived with family associated with teaching the English lace makers children in Calais. I found a marriage to a Jane Ross and a child Jane b. 21/1/1850...in Calais and then his death suspiciously found by two men on 6 Dec 1851. This was the time of Napoleonic resurgance on 6th Dec 1851. Alfred was named as a "Commission Agent". Can anyone shed any light on his death or the new wife and child please. Jane was actually Jane Roberts and had a daughter Jane by Alfred Greenhill (no trace so far) A member has posted the ref for a will for Alfred IR27/64 but I do not know how to access it. May have a reference to wife or daughter Jane as his wife Rachel in England died in 1845.

Gigi

Gigi Report 21 Feb 2018 16:19

Hi

According to Findmypast, there is a will proved 1855 for Alfred Greenhill of Tenterden reference: National Archives reference IR27/64 . I know it isn't from Calais, but maybe??

Is this your man? The will may shed some light on his family.

Best regards

Gillian

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Feb 2018 17:27

No help with Jane, I'm afraid, but -

a tree on Ancestry says this is your Alfred - actually born no later than 1807:

Alfred Greenhill
in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: Alfred Greenhill
Baptism Date: 10 Feb 1807
Baptism Place: Rolvenden, Kent, England
Father: Thos. Bayly Greenhill
Mother: Rose
FHL Film Number: 1737002

For helpers' reference:
His marriage to Jane was apparently in Boulogne sur Mer in 1849, and the child was called Jane Ross Greenhill. (per the tree)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Feb 2018 17:34

The probate posted by Gigi may well be the right man.

There's no death for an Alfred Greenhill in England/Wales 1850-55

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Feb 2018 17:35

Did below relate?...

Chris :)

Baptism
County Kent
Place Tenterden
Church name St Mildred
Register type Parish Register
Register entry number 1559
Baptism date 29 May 1850
Person forename Elizabeth
Person sex f
Person abode Rolvenden
Father forename Alfred
Father surname GREENHILL
Father occupation Postman
Mother forename Rachel
Register note Age 13

Baptism
County Kent
Place Tenterden
Church name St Mildred
Register type Parish Register
Register entry number 1559
Baptism date 29 May 1850
Person forename Elizabeth
Person sex f
Person abode Rolvenden
Father forename Alfred
Father surname GREENHILL
Father occupation Postman
Mother forename Rachel
Register note Age 13

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903 (Find My Past)

(Court Canterbury Prerogative Court
Residence TENTERDEN
National Archives reference IR27/64)

(Administrator named for Alfred 1855, Rachel Greenhill, Tenterden, Kent)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Feb 2018 17:43

Looks like it, Chris:

Rachel Greenhill
in the 1841 England Census
Name: Rachel Greenhill
Estimated birth year: abt 1816
Where born: Kent, England
Civil Parish: Rolvenden
Hundred: Rolvenden
County/Island: Kent
Street address:
View image
Registration district: Tenterden
Sub-registration district: Rolvenden
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 475
Book: 12
Folio: 33
Page Number: 10
Household Members:
Name Age
Rachel Greenhill 25
Mary Greenhill 7
Elizabeth Greenhill 5
Alfred Greenhill 3
Joseph Greenhill 4 Mo

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Feb 2018 17:43

Thank you...how do I get the will from this reference please

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Feb 2018 17:54

Would be the relevant Kent Archives...(not seeing on below)

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858 (Ancestry)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/wills-1384-1858/

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/wills-probate-records/

(above for info.)

(Wills up to 1858: we hold these at the Kent History and Library Centre.)

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Feb 2018 18:06

Thank you..How do I get the will from this ref. please

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Feb 2018 18:25

(see above info., you would need a visit!)

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/our-services/research-service/

(about Research Service)

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Feb 2018 20:49

Hi Sonya,
French records are free to view but take ages to find as there is no central archive that holds all bmd and census records. If you know the exact place of birth/marriage/death of the person you are looking for you can freely look for the necessary record but otherwise it's very difficult.

As you know that Alfred died in Boulogne sur Mer in 1851 I have looked through the 1851 recensement records and found him on page 220 of 465.

He is 40yrs of age and a domestic in the household of Edgar Gibson (Major ? SMB), an english family, living 140 rue des Pipots.

Just under the line that Alfred is noted it also gives the name of:-
Jane Robert aged 28yrs, she is also english and she is noted as being the wife of Alfred.
No sign of any children.

If you would like a copy I could send you one by pm?

I will take a look at the death records for Boulgne to see if I can find anything else.

...........this looks to be the marriage of the family for whom he was working:-
Name: Edgar Gibson
Marriage Date: 17 Jul 1834
Marriage Place: Wateringbury,Kent,England
Spouse: Charlotte Lucas
FHL Film Number: 0992538, 0992539

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Feb 2018 21:29

This old thread might be helpful - contact details for relevant offices in the right area - although might be out of date:

https://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1055163

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Feb 2018 22:39

Hi again,
Have found the record of Alfred's death and have taken a copy if you would like me to send that to you too.

The death was registered by two of his friends (in France a birth or a death is always registered by two people that knew the person and can state that it was indeed the person mentioned)
The friends declare that he died at 1:00am at his home ( rue de la place des Victoires)

It is not noted what he died of, but there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious.

It's interesting to note that, on the death record, he is noted as being the widow of Rachel Exall, but no other wife, or child is noted on the record.

It is also noted that his occupation was (Domestic) and not, as you thought, a
"Commission Agent"

I'll try and find the address on the '1851 recensement' to see who is living there but it will take some time as I will have to scroll through all 465 pages till I find it.

Chris Ho :) Report 22 Feb 2018 07:18

(lol Catherine, that's some going, 465 pages!, info. well found though)

Below would be Edgar Gibson, from google search...

Gentleman's Magazine, Or Monthly Intelligencer

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HfhfAAAAcAAJ

1834 - ?Great Britain
Capt. Edgar Gibson, 4th Light Dragoons, to Charlotte, fourth dau. of Ald. Lucas, of Wateringbury-place, Kent.

(1841, family at Wateringbury)

Edits (for Catherine, see below, if any help)

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1333185

Sonya

Sonya Report 22 Feb 2018 09:19

Thank you all for all that research. Very interesting...I wonder why he was working and living with a captain of the Light Dragoons in Boulogne. I still feel this was political as Mr Killick was later responsible for erecting statue of Napoleon in Boulogne. Why would Alfred have died he was only 44 and recently married to Jane.
Thank you Catherine I would like a copy if that is possible.

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Feb 2018 09:22

Wasn't on the 465 pages but found the adress on the first page of the second part,

The house number isn't noted on the death document so can't check the exact address but there is nobody noted living in the road with the name of (Greenhill, Robert or Ross)

(Hi Chris, there are 30 entries on each of the 465 pages and the handwritting isn't always easy to read, so can take a bit of time.

The Magazine entry is certainly the family Alfred was working for in 1851 but by then Edgar Gibson was a Major.

Also one of two men that registered the death of Alfred was the same person mentioned in the link you have posted. Alfred Killick Kent, 'marchand plombier', aged 42yrs but it would seem that Sonya already has all that information)

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Feb 2018 09:25

Sonya, the documents are, of course, in french. Would you like me to translate them into english for you or is your french ok?

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Feb 2018 10:22

Just to let you know that I have contacted the 'Archives Municipal' in Boulogne sur Mer to see if there is any way of knowing what the cause of death was for Alfred as nothing is noted on the death record.

As I thought, unfortunately, as it is a medical record that, in France, is not always divulged unless the death occured in a hospital in which case you can try and find out through the hospital archives.

In your case, as Alfred died at home and nothing is noted on the death record, unfortunately it looks as though you will never know his cause of death.

Chris Ho :) Report 22 Feb 2018 10:28

Perhaps he was offered employment by the Gibsons as you know, Rachel Death 1845, Father in Law Joseph Exall Death 1842, he might have took the opportunity...

And with Joseph having had those connections to Workhouse (I know you already have 'history' from other 'Threads') perhaps the children were placed there to be looked after. The Gibsons are at Wateringbury 1841, so no idea when they went to France, or, if Alfred went with them...

(Did Joseph leave a Will?)

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c2.html

(Old Occupations)

Commission Agent Salesman who derives his income solely from commission on sales

Sonya

Sonya Report 22 Feb 2018 10:31

Thanks...I have a French relative so translation is ok. Pity cannot find cause of death but you have been great. Many thanks I will have to lay this to rest now. sonya