Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register, look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 27 Feb 2018 22:11

Looking for the details of Muriel L Jones(Sam) born 1903 and living in Dartford. There are 2 records for her and she appears to be alone?

safc

safc Report 27 Feb 2018 22:14

Muriel L Jones (Sam) on the 1939 Register

1939 Register Transcription

Household (1 Person) Bexley Mental Hospital Oakfield Lane , Dartford M.B., Kent, England
Add to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) Role DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Muriel L Jones (Sam) S 02 Oct 1903 Female Mental Nurse Married 1 87

Ref: RG101/1700E/003/43 Letter Code: © Findmypast Ltd
Open a closed record Request a living person's record
Close an open record Report an erro

safc

safc Report 27 Feb 2018 22:15

Muriel L Jones (Sam) on the 1939 Register

1939 Register Transcription

Household (1 Person) Oakfield Lane , Dartford M.B., Kent, England
Add to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Muriel L Jones (Sam) 02 Oct 1903 Female - Married 1 87

Nicola

Nicola Report 27 Feb 2018 22:22

Thanks but I can't find her birth or marriage to Sam, I assume Jones was her maiden name?

Nicola

Nicola Report 27 Feb 2018 22:38

I was Gladys M Jones born 1904( but can't find her birth) she married Wong Sam in 1928, could this be the same person? Only I have found Gladys is 1939 ?? so confused

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Feb 2018 23:09

thread referred to in above post
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370711

It looks like she has been recorded both at her place of work and her home address.

Unlikely to be the same person recorded 4 times.

Gladys' birth date was Feb 1904 and Muriel has October 1903

The change of name is from Sam to Jones, so that was made at some point after the register was compiled in 1939. So either Sam was her maiden name or she was Muriel L ------ who married a Sam prior to 1939

Some of the other changes of name have a date written in the first column - usually the date that the change was recorded, (not necessarily the actual date the change occurred) i.e. the date a woman who had married notified the person responsible for the upkeep of the list . Muriel and others just seem to have an M - presumably to indicate change due to marriage.