Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register, question

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Feb 2018 22:18

I have a image of a household on the 1939 register. It give a birth date of 15/02/1904 for Gladys M Sam but above this in different writing it says " 5/2/04 ASA 27/6/44"
Could someone tell me what this means? I can't find this persons birth in 1904? she married Wong Sam in 1928 St Martin with maiden name of Jones?
Thanks

safc

safc Report 19 Feb 2018 22:47

????

Births Mar 1904 (>99%)
Jones Gladys Mary Alton 2c 189
Jones Gladys May Merthyr T 11a 790
Jones Gladys May Keynsham 5c 540
Jones Gladys May Stone 6b 29
Jones Gladys May Chorlton 8c 784
Jones Gladys May W Derby 8b 244

do you have married cert for father ?

plus theres this one

British armed forces and overseas births and baptisms Transcription
Print transcription View image Add to tree
First name(s) Gladys M
Last name Jones
Sex Female
Birth year 1904
Place Curepipe
Country Mauritius
Type Armed Forces
Regiment Ra & M Cps
Archive General Register Office
Source Gro Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)
Record's year range 1904
Volume 613
Page 115
Line number 114
Archive reference REG1
Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Births
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Feb 2018 22:55

I think perhaps the register was updated in 1944 because her birth date was transcribed wrongly on the 1939 register. Where it says ASA, this is the code for London, St. Pancras.

Kath. x

safc

safc Report 19 Feb 2018 22:57

????

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
7 Chadworth Buildings St Lukes E C, St Luke, London & Middlesex, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image Add to tree
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
George Jones Head Married Male 29 1882 London Hoxton Xmas Card Emborser
Transcription
Alice Maud Jones Wife Married Female 30 1881 London City -
Transcription
Gladys Maud Jones Daughter - Female 7 1904 London St Lukes -
Transcription
George Lawrence Jones Son - Male 1 1910 London St Lukes -

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Feb 2018 22:59

Is this the record you're looking at?

Goodair Household (5 People)
47 Uxbridge Road , Rickmansworth U.D., Hertfordshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Gladys M Sam ? Feb 1904 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 34 3
Walter L Goodair 27 Apr 1904 Male Heavy Worker Loader (Asbestos Cement) Married 34 1
Elsie E Goodair 31 Jan 1910 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 34 2
Jean McGonagle (Sam) 20 Dec 1931 Female At School Single 34 4
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

the original birth date is written in as 15. Feb.1904

On 27.6.1944 the other date of 5 Feb 1904 has been written in. The initials ASA are probably a code for something. I should think that 1944 is the date that her birthdate has been corrected.

On the opposite page there is another note - See book 2 page 12

This is possibly that entry (there are certainly 2 entries for the same person) - all but her and 1 other entry on the page are blacked out. In this case the surname Sam is crossed through in green with the name Doyle written above. The coding here is CR283 WEL. There is a date above also in green, but can't read all of it - 8. 5. --.

Probably 1972 as I see Gladys M Sam married Frederick Doyle in 1972 and this would be the date that that alteration was made (not necessarily the date of the marriage)

Doyle (Sam) Household (1 Person)
Rickmansworth U.D., Hertfordshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Gladys M Doyle (Sam) 15 Feb 1904 Female - - 34 3

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Feb 2018 23:05

I was looking for Gladys May birth 1904 birth in or near London. Such a common name Jones. Gladys married Wong Sam( or Sam Wong) in 1928 and they had children in central London from 1929. My search started with Gladys's daughter Margaret Annie Jones born approx 1928 ( my friends gran mother) Can't find her birth either, pretty sure that Wong Sam was Margaret's father too. Was hoping that this ASA 27/6/1944 remark above Gladys birth date on 1939 register would be helpful.

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Feb 2018 23:14

Yes the Goodair household is the one for my Gladys May, she did marry Doyle in 1972. There is another entry for her in 1939 in Rickmans worth that gives no details at all and her husband Wong Sam was living in Marylebone in 1939 but no details there either. Frustrated at the lack of info on the 1939 register.

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Feb 2018 23:26

This would be the Gladys born Mauritius

n the 1911 England Census

Name: Gladys Jones
Age in 1911: 7
Estimated birth year: abt 1904
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Curepipe, Mauritius
Civil Parish: Brighton
Search Photos: Search for 'Brighton' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Sussex
Street address: 55 Lavender Street Brighton
Registration district: Brighton
Registration District Number: 79
Sub-registration district: East Brighton
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Household schedule number: 218
Piece: 5111
Household Members:
Name Age
John Jones 48
Clara Jones 40
Llewellyn Jones 13
Clara Jones 10
Gladys Jones 7

Andy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Feb 2018 00:49

Nicola ..........

what information were you expecting to get from the 1939 Register??

It was NOT a Census.

It was a listing of all people living in England and Wales with birth dates, addresses and occupations so that the British Government knew who was living where in order to issue ration cards etc when war began.

Information was updated during the war as women married and people died.

It was not meant to provide all kinds of other information.

In 1947, the Register was used as the basis of the NHS as it was the only complete listing available. The NHS updated information for women who married and people who died until some time in 1991, then nothing was done.

FMP is updating the deaths of people as relatives send in death certificates to prove a death, and also doing some updating by cross reference with GRO.

Nicola

Nicola Report 20 Feb 2018 22:50

I understand that the 1939 register is not a census, but the last image I purchased for Gladys Doyle (Sam)consisted of a street name, then a blank page and one line with her name but all other details covered. I have had a few like this and just think it's a rather expensive purchase for the amount of info on the image. Maybe I have just been unlucky. I haven't used 60 credits to purchase the image for Wong Sam in Marylebone on 1939 Register as he appears to be alone in preview.
Thanks for finding the Maurtius birth for Gladys M Jones, that seems most likely one.

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Feb 2018 23:00

Sam Household (1 Person)
57/9 Cleveland Street , St Marylebone, London, England

Wong Sam 22 Sep 1884 Male Kitchen Porter Unemployed Married 130 1

Looks perhaps to be a house divided into different 'flats' or equivalent.

Nicola

Nicola Report 20 Feb 2018 23:15

Thanks greyghost that fits with my Wong Sam and the Wong Sam on 1911 Canada census.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Feb 2018 03:41

The names blacked out are for people who were not dead when the NHS stopped updating, have not been reported dead to FMP, and who were born less than 100 years ago.

The latter category may also include people born over 100 years ago because FMP have not completed checking the records.

For example, my uncle died in Australia, so no death reported in the UK, and was born in 1895 but his rec ord is still closed, His wife and 6 children are also still blacked out because all but one emigrated and 2 are still alive down under. The 6th child died in the UK after 1991, but the children have not yet confirmed their parent's death.

Do NOT buy credits to look ........

....... someone on here who has a full sub to FMP will always look for you!

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Feb 2018 19:53

Thank you, SylvianCanada for the info and thanks to all on here who are always willing to help others.

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Feb 2018 22:37

Hoping someone can help?
I just received a copy of Marriage cert of Margaret Anne Jones and Ronald Alfred Taylor, August 28th 1948 in Marylebone.
Margaret Ann Jones was the daughter of Gladys May Jones and Wong Sam( married in 1928 in Marylebone) Margaret was 21 on marriage cert, so born in 1927, can't find her birth anywhere?? The Marriage cert says her father was Charles Jones Deceased, Potter. Margaret's address at time of marriage was 38a Howland St, W1 and Roland Alfred Taylor( her husband) was living at 57 Cleveland St, W1( the same address as Wong Sam in 1939, Margaret's father, according to the family)
Was looking for answer's from this cert but again it's created more questions.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2018 23:43

I'll throw another spanner into the mix .................

People can lie about their age on marriage certificate.

You did not have to show a birth certificate, or any evidence of your age or parentage.

21 was the legal age for marrying at that time, parental permission was required under that age.

People who were under-age but did not want or could not get parental permission would lie about their age.

Sometimes people said they were younger or older than their true age because there was a greater discrepancy in age between themselves and the spouse.

Nicola

Nicola Report 27 Feb 2018 20:29

How much info on a 1948 marriage cert can relied upon as the truth.
Could they have lied about father's name ? Margaret's father's name on marriage cert is Charles Jones? Her parents were Wong Sam and Gladys M Jones, they married after Margaret was born. Could Charles Jones be her grandfather? would anyone check? I have looked for a previous marriage for her mother Gladys to a Charles Jones but found nothing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Feb 2018 01:12

To be honest, probably only the date, time and place of the marriage, and the name of the priest.

You didn't have to provide proof of anything that you told the vicar! We didn't when we got married in 1967 ........ I gather there have been changes since then.

It was very easy to change your name in England, all you had to do was announce that from this date on you would be known as John Smith instead of Jack Jones. You did not have to go to a lawyer or do it by Deed Poll. You could put a notice in the local newspaper to make it more public, or not bother.

I can remember reading such notices in our local paper in the 1950s

It was perfectly legal, as long as you were not doing it for criminal reasons.

I'm not sure what the procedure for changing your name is now.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 28 Feb 2018 08:03

Interestingly, Margaret Jones was listed on the electoral register at 38a Howland Street in 1948- this would indicate that she was at least 21 in that year.

In 1949 Gladys and Wong Sam are living at 38a Howland Street
----------------------------

And just to note- you have Margaret's husband as Roland, he was Ronald.

On the later electoral registers, Margaret is listed as Margaret Anne (with an E).

When did Margaret pass away?

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Feb 2018 11:10

Nicola's other thread re the Sam/Jones family

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370821