Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The DISBROW family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 19 Dec 2018 20:57

Hi, Im looking for info on the Disbrow family. They originated from Cambridgeshire. I have managed to get back as far as a Sarah Savage (1820 - ?) marrying a William Disbrow (1820-1858). Their son Savage George Disbrow married a Frances (Fanny) Hurst in 12 Oct 1874 (Eckington). They had a daughter Lily in 1888. Lily married a Robert Harris in 1907 (Eckington) and they had 2 daughters Lily 1908 and Gladys May 1909. Gladys died in 1909 and so did her mother Lily. I have found the daughter Lily living with her father and the Disbrow family in 1911 census - Eckington, Derbyshire. But this is where I lose Lily. Her father Robert moved to Dinnington, Yorkshire and married his sister in law, Hannah Harris nee Harper in 1917/1918 (also from Eckington). I know nothing like keeping it in the family. Robert died in 1961 in Dinnington, Sheffield, Yorkshire. I cannot find anything on Lily after this census date. Any info would be great.

Lesley

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2018 21:03

deleted

alviegal

alviegal Report 19 Dec 2018 21:10

National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914

Year of birth: 1908
First name(s) Lily
Last name Harris
Birth year 1908
Birth date 28 Apr 1908
Event year 1913
School name Eckington Central Board School (Later Council Infants)
Town Eckington
County Derbyshire
Country England
Parent name(s) Robert of 42 Sitwell Street
Book type Admissions

Her last day at this school was 26 Feb 1915 when she transferred to Girls' dept.

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2018 21:13

1911 shows Lily with her grandparents

Name: Lily Harris
Age in 1911: 2
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1909
Relation to Head: Granddaughter
Birth Place: Eckington, Derbyshire, England
Civil Parish: Eckington
Search Photos: Search for 'Eckington' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Derbyshire
Street address: 42 Sitwell St Eckington Sheffield
Registration district: Chesterfield
Registration District Number: 438
Sub-registration district: Eckington
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Piece: 21141
Household Members:
Name Age
Savage George Disbrow 57
Frances Disbrow 56
Edwin Thomas Disbrow 30
Sidney Disbrow 15
Robert Harris 25
Lily Harris 2

Dea

Dea Report 19 Dec 2018 21:20

Isn't this the Lily we are looking for?

HARRIS, LILY DISBROW Order
GRO Reference: 1908 J Quarter in CHESTERFIELD Volume 07B Page 920

Dea x

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2018 21:33

Name: Robert Harris
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 1 Oct 1885
Residence Year: 1939
Address: 80
Residence Place: Kiveton Park, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Schedule Number: 61
Sub Schedule Number: 1
Enumeration District: KRLI
Registration district: 511 A - 1
Inferred Spouse: Hannah Harris
Household Members:
Name
Robert Harris
Hannah Harris Date: 15 Jun 1876
Robert Harris Date: 23 May 1914
Lilian Harris Date: 18 Aug 1921 (Clarke)

If this is Robert with new wife Hannah then they went on to have another daughter that they also named Lilian, so I'm wondering if Lily may have been adopted?

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2018 21:34

yes, you're right Dea, I deleted other post after rereading the post. I can't even blame the Christmas Sherry. :-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Dec 2018 21:40

Marriages Sep 1935

Harris Lily Metcalfe Chesterfield 7b 2127
Metcalfe Herbert Harris Chesterfield 7b 2127

Name: Lily Metcalfe
Event Type: Death Registration
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year: 1992
Registration District: Mansfield
County: Nottinghamshire
Event Place: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969): 28 Apr 1908
Birth Year (Estimated):
Volume: 8
Page: 251
Affiliate Line Number:

Rose

alviegal

alviegal Report 19 Dec 2018 21:49

Well found Rose! Slight discrepency on year of birth.

Metcalfe Household (3 People) 8 Grove Coach Road , East Retford M.B., Nottinghamshire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Lily Metcalfe 28 Apr 1909 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 33 2
Herbert Metcalfe 05 Jun 1910 Male Police Constable Married 33 1
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Lesley

Lesley Report 20 Dec 2018 11:25

Thankyou for all yr replies. It has made interesting reading.

To Catherine - the lilian harris is not Lily. She is their daughter in law. Lilian married son Robert Harris. Hannah Harris nee Harper n Robert Harris are my great grandparents. There has never been, in the family, the name Lily Harris mentioned. I have the family photo album and there are no photos of his daughter. That is the census I've found. It's after this date I lose lily.

Dea - yes this is Lily Harris daughter of Lily n Robert.

Alviegal - The school record is interesting

Rose - the marriage record makes good reading. I'm not sure on the actual date of birth for Lily but I hope it is the same person. It's looking good. Also the death record.

Thank you all for yr replies. Any other info will be great to read..

Lesley

Lesley Report 20 Dec 2018 11:25

Thankyou for all yr replies. It has made interesting reading.

To Catherine - the lilian harris is not Lily. She is their daughter in law. Lilian married son Robert Harris. Hannah Harris nee Harper n Robert Harris are my great grandparents. There has never been, in the family, the name Lily Harris mentioned. I have the family photo album and there are no photos of his daughter. That is the census I've found. It's after this date I lose lily.

Dea - yes this is Lily Harris daughter of Lily n Robert.

Alviegal - The school record is interesting

Rose - the marriage record makes good reading. I'm not sure on the actual date of birth for Lily but I hope it is the same person. It's looking good. Also the death record.

Thank you all for yr replies. Any other info will be great to read..

alviegal

alviegal Report 20 Dec 2018 12:38

Lesley, the school record I posted has her date of birth on it, 28 April 1908. The 1939 register has the correct date but wrong year which is either a mistake or perhaps it is the year given by whoever supplid the details of the household.
Rose then found the death of Lily Metcalfe which also has the date of birth recorded, 28 April 1908. :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 20 Dec 2018 12:41

I wonder if this is the correct Herbert.

HERBERT
Last name METCALFE
Birth year 1910
Place ECKINGTON
Reference ECKB/109/495
Register office Chesterfield
Subdistrict Eckington
County Derbyshire

EDIT from freereg

County Derbyshire
Place Eckington
Church name St Peter and St Paul
Register type Parish Register
Register entry number 3408
Baptism date 07 Feb 1910
Person forename Herbert
Father forename William
Mother forename Ada Elizabeth
Father surname METCALFE
Person abode 13 Pinfold Street
Father occupation Miner
Transcribed by John Turton
Credit John Turton
File line number 1795

1911 Census For England & Wales

13 Pinfold Street Eckington Sheffield, Eckington, Derbyshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John C Metcalfe Head Widower Male 72 1839 Retired Coal Miner Derbyshire Eckington
William H Metcalfe Son Married Male 36 1875 Coal Miner Hewer Derbyshire Eckington
Ada E Metcalfe Daughter In Law Married Female 33 1878 - Derbyshire Heath
John W Metcalfe Grandson - Male 12 1899 School Derbyshire Eckington
Mabel Metcalfe Granddaughter - Female 10 1901 School Derbyshire Eckington
Ethel Metcalfe Granddaughter - Female 6 1905 - Derbyshire Eckington
Herbert Metcalfe Grandson - Male 1 1910 - Derbyshire Eckington

Lesley

Lesley Report 20 Dec 2018 14:25

Aviegal - it does seem to be the right person. Its a shame if it is Lily, as her father lived in Dinnington not far from Mansfield. There has been no mention of his daughter within the family, although my dad did say that it was hannah who had a child out of wedlock and they lived over Worksop way. Before he passed away dad did get a bit muddled re names etc so could it be that it was Lily he was thinking of? We will never know if it was her and not, supposedly, a son of hannahs. Please keep any info coming .

Lesley

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 20 Dec 2018 17:12

If you buy the Harris / Metcalfe marriage certificate, it may prove or disprove whether it is your Lily, assuming your Lily knew her father's name.

Lesley

Lesley Report 20 Dec 2018 18:54

rootgatherer - I assume she knew her fathers name as she lived with him at her grandfathers house in 1911. Mind you, she was only 2 so it could be that she might not know. Ive put an order in for the marriage certificate so I will know in the new year. Unless of course a family member gets in touch.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me find this relative.

Lesley

Lesley

Lesley Report 30 Dec 2018 16:51

I would like to thank everyone for looking for Lily Disbrow. I have now received the birth, Marriage and death certificates and you found her. It is a shame really because she lived near her father and no-one in the family knows of her. I wonder if she knew her father lived so near. It looks like the family have now a new family to meet and get to know. Once again thank you so much for your help.

Lesley

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2018 17:01

Thanks for the update Lesley - It's nice to know that you have the answer to your mystery and have also found new family members.

I wish you well getting to know them and hope all works out well.

Dea x

alviegal

alviegal Report 30 Dec 2018 22:06

Thanks for the update Lesley. It's always nice to hear if we've managed to crack a puzzle or if we've gone with the wrong person. Thankfully, this time we found her. How very sad that she lived so near to her father and possibly never knew. Good luck with meeting new family members, I hope everything goes well.

Liz

Lesley

Lesley Report 31 Dec 2018 13:19

I have another mystery. My family seems full of mysterys. I will post it as a new thread. But once again thank you for helping me finding Lily even if it was too late to meet her. I find it so strange that no-one knew her. My dads cousins don't remember a person called Lily. In fact I don't think they knew he was married before. Such a shame to be living so close but yet so far. My dad did once say that my GGrandma Hannah had a boy out of wedlock and he lived somewhere near Worksop. Makes me wonder if it was GGrandad Robert, Hannah's second husband, he was thinking of. My dads memory wasn't all that good coming towards the end of his life. Bless him! Wish he was here so I could tell him the news. Never mind.

Lesley