Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for John Oldham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Albert

Albert Report 23 Apr 2019 02:53

Not sure If I can get any where with this, but have try
My Late sister had a baby boy born around 28 th Aug 1971 in highfield maternity hospital in Wallasey Cheshire and he was adopted ? within 4-5 weeks of birth?? I found this info on Family search and other family relatives,. my sisters name was Patricia Etherington and at the time of the birth was married to Anthony Eric Oldham but he was not the father, but as I was told agreed to bring the child up as his, they where married in the 1st Qtr of 1971 and the child was born Aug 1971, on the birth record from Family search his name was listed as John Oldham it had mothers maiden name as ETHERINGTON and record #'s Vol # 10a Page # 2113S Affiliate Line # 45, this child would be a nephew of mine and he has another brother and sister living both in their mid 40's, and as i have been doing a family tree, they asked me if i could fine anything more on him, they Live in England and i live in Canada, also I only found out about this child this year.
I also realize that trying to trace adopted children, is not easy,and that as the child was adopted as a baby all his name could be changed, and the adopted family may not want to release any thing about him??? so if any one can lead me in the right direction as to where to start, it would be gratefully appreciated, thank you;
AL Etherington Hamilton Canada

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2019 07:31

They would need to know his adopted name to try and trace him

The best bet would be to add their details to the national adoptions register on the GRO site so if he goes looking their interest would be passed on to him

His birth record does have a small S against the page nos indicating adopted so only a small certificate would be issued if requested that wouldn't show parents names

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2019 10:23

Albert, info on the Adoption Contact Register etc here,

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2019 10:30

Advise his siblings to register on the Adoption Contact Register

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register
There are further links on the above referring to Intermediary Agencies. The agencies have the authoritative to access the adoption files & find out his new name. That information would not usually be shared with birth family. They would then try to trace him. If successful, they’d ask his permission to pass on contact details.

There will be a fee - check the cost before hiring anyone.

Suggest to his birth siblings that they contact Social Sevices local to the birth asking for a letter for him to be added to his file. If their sibling access it, their own contact details might help him find them.

Presumably you’ve added his birth name to your tree, and also searched All Members Trees, top right under Search?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2019 10:35

John’s birth reg is listed on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Although it’s a long shot, add a post’em to the entry. Say something like “Birth family welcomes contact” and leave a generic email address. If you have access to Ancestry, do the same there.

Albert

Albert Report 23 Apr 2019 14:25

Thanks to all who answered and will see what i can get from your suggestions, and as i said this would be hard to find, so again many thanks thanks
AL Etherington <3

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2020 11:13

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1383424