Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searl and Smith

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 18:34

Hello all

I recently started working on my wife's Nans history as her dad was estranged from his family so she never knew any aunties uncles or grandparents from his side. She also doesnt have much to say about her mothers parents either so i was hoping someone could help me find some history. I found her dads parents (i think) and his siblings but i am struggling with his wife, our nans mother. Her name was Ada Lavinia Smith born 14 Feb 1901 (i think) in Battersea (i think) She Married Harry Josiah Searl, a great golf player in Oct 1926. He didn't keep in touch with his family. He was a golf professional at Epsom Downs Golf Club, Longdown Lane, Epsom, Surrey until he was made redundant at the age of 64. He held the world record for sinking the longest putt from the 17th hole. He managed to replicate it again in front of a reporter from the local paper.

Ada died of a heart attack in 1958/59. She was employed as a parlour maid as there were very few jobs available for working class girls. Her father was an artist and made his living by printing the banners in various churches throughout Kent. He always took his family with him so Ada had to attend many different schools.

They had 9 children

Vera D Searl
1927–

Joan Edna Searl
1928–2001

Harry Leonard Searl
1932–

Charles Arthur Searl
1933–2017

Mary Violet Searl - Our Nan
1935–

Frederick George Searl
1937–2019

Betty M Searl
1939–2005

Robert Victor Searl
1942–2016

John R Searl
1944–

Im really hoping to find her parents names as i am at a standstill. Id appreciate any help or questions although i have pretty much written everything we know. Thank you in advance :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 May 2019 18:43

Her fathers name should be on the marriage cert,if known

Have you found her birth or on any census before 1911

Can't see her birth on the GRO records

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 18:46

just for ref 1939 reg Epsom County Institution And Hospital, Epsom and Ewell M.B., Surrey, England

Ada L Searl 14 Feb 1901 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 1 188

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 18:47

?? SMITH, ADA LAVINIA DILKS
GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in SHARDLOW Volume 07B Page 498

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 18:48

Marriages Dec 1926 (>99%)

Searl Harry J Smith Kingston 2a 998
Smith Ada L Searl Kingston 2a 998

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 18:50

Hi Shirley

Unfortunatly there are loads of Ada Smiths born 1901 and none for Battersea that i can see. I can only find the list of marriages in the 3 months that states her names and her married name. no parents.

Hi Rambling: - what is this please? 1939 reg Epsom County Institution And Hospital,

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 18:53

That is the entry on the 1939 Register, taken on the eve of war, and used up until 1991 by the NHS.

That Ada matches the birth day you give, I would guess and it is just that, that she was in the hospital following birth of Betty born 1939?

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 18:55

The GRO index gives only one birth with the second name Lavinia, that is the one I posted, even though birth year is 2 years out from the info on 1939 register.

Mothers maiden name on it is Dilks

so possibly this marriage
Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)

Dilks Catherine Shardlow 7b 918
Smith George Shardlow 7b 918

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 19:10

That does seem to be this family, as other daughter Martha Gladys confirms mother's maiden name

Record Transcription:
1911 Census For England & Wales
15 Windsor St Beeston Nottinghamshire, Beeston, Nottinghamshire, England

George Smith Head Married Male 42 1869 Bricklayers Labour Tealby Lincolnshire
Kate Smith Wife Married Female 35 1876 Home Landacre Derbyshire
Catherine Ellen Smith Daughter - Female 14 1897 Home Chilwell Nottshire
Ada Lavinia Smith Daughter - Female 12 1899 School Brancote Notts
Martha Gladis Smith Daughter - Female 7 1904 School Beeston Notts
George Smith Son - Male 5 1906 School Beeston Notts
William Alfred Smith Son - Male 2 1909 - Beeston Notts
Unnamed Smith Son - Male 0 1911 - Beeston Notts

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 19:14

Where are you looking for this info please Rambling? :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 19:19

Hi Mariposa, i am looking at Findmypast, freebmd.org.uk and the GRO index on https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 19:20

Do you have the marriage cert for Ada and Harry? and if so what info does it have for her father's name and occupation? also are any of the family witnesses?

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 19:23

Ah this is interesting as it lists an Elizabeth Smith with Harry in 1939 so is that her mother? in which case the cenus and birth are not the right ones. However it does say this Elizabeth is single.

Golf Cottage Longdown Lane South, Epsom and Ewell M.B., Surrey, England

Searl household
(8 people)
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Harry J Searl 17 May 1900 Male Gold Professional Married 222 1
Elizabeth Smith 18 Jul 1871 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Single 222 2
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

Joan E Searl 12 Jan 1929 Female At School Single 222 4
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 May 2019 19:44

How do you know about Ada,s father

Do you know his name ??

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 20:13

Hi so i have been on the phone to Nan. Elizabeth lived with them for a while which would explain what Rabling has found. Thank you so much for your help. I asked nan and she said she thinks thats her. The address is perfect!!

Shirley i do not know Adas dads name, All i know is he was an artist and made his living by printing the banners in various churches throughout Kent. He always took his family with him so Ada had to attend many different schools and he died when she was young.

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 20:15

Shirley, i know his history from our nan.

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 20:17

You will need the marriage cert for more info on the father. Then we may be able to work out why Elizabeth was with them in 1939 and saying she was single, rather than married or widowed.

Do you know any names of any siblings of Ada?

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 20:22

I know she spent some time with them when nan was around 6 years old. I dont have a marriage cert.
Ada was the youngest of 5 kids
Edna Smith
Victor Smith killed in 1st world war
Maud Smith
Reginald Smith died at age 4

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 May 2019 20:25

What year did Victor Smith die please, there may be be records giving his parents names

Lia

Lia Report 18 May 2019 20:29

No idea, sorry. All we know is he died in action in the WW1.