Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARTHUR LOCKWOOD TREVOR BOOTHE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 27 Dec 2019 21:06

This chap is the only son [there were two other daughters] of the Reverend John Edmund Booth[e] - his surname was BOOTH but in later life he added the 'e'.

I am only looking for information about ALTB, please. So PLEASE don't spend your precious time on the rest of them!

ALTB died in 1946. Unfortunately for me [!], he also tinkered with his name in an attempt it would seem to raise his status by hyphenating his middle name of Trevor to his 'new' surname of Boothe, i.e., Arthur Lockwood Trevor-Boothe. So when I have searched for his probate records, ancestry directs me to search under "Boothe for Trevor" which has me baffled.

I hope this is clear - as mud, probably. Can you help, please?

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2019 21:23

Go to https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

put in Boothe 1946 and it's about half way down the page 1 left hand side

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:25

You failed to mention that he was 78 when he died

And what - exactly - are you hoping for?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:31

He is on 1939 with a wife Lilian P

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2019 21:32

1939 West Down Lodge Portsmouth Road, Haslemere U.D., Surrey, England

Trevor-Boothe household
(4 people)

Lilian P Trevor-Boothe 19 Jan 1873 Female Unpaid Domestic Married 77 1
Arthur L Trevor-Boothe 06 Aug 1869 Male Master 4Th Hussars (Retired) Married 77 2
Dorothy G Earl 04 Oct 1900 Female Paid Domestic Widowed 77 3
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:33

Occ is actually MAJOR etc

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 27 Dec 2019 21:34

HOW DO YOU DO IT!! Thank you so much. I'm really grateful.

Moving on, now. ALTB was made bankrupt in 1897 while he was still a Lieutenant in the 4th Hussars. In his father's will of 1891, there is made mention of a sum of money of more than £2,500 given by father to son in his lifetime and of several other smaller sums. Father died in 1892.

I wonder whether it is possible to discover how/why/ ALTB would have been made bankrupt? Would any paper trail exist leading up to the bankruptcy being declared? He seems to have had a tricky Army career - I have discovered a letter from Commanding Officer begging that he be "relocated" …………. !

Big thanks again and wonder whether there is more to be revealed now.
:-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:45

He married in Ireland in 1909, but not to a Lilian

1911 Irish census he is married to Alice born 1863 in Calcutta

So she was Alice Caroline Graham Steer or Toler. Presumably married before

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2019 21:56

Bankruptcies might have made the newspapers so worth looking there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:59

Army officers frequently went bankrupt due to gambling in the Mess

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2019 22:05

Just for ref as I don't have full access, newspapers on FMP,

"Boadicea, Capt. the Hon. Cnrzon-Howe —flag of Hear- Admiral Fremantle—left Zanzibar Oct. 21, for Bombay. Cormorant, Com. Nicolla, baa left
Dragoons. —Patrick Moir, in succession to Lieut. C. S. Soote, transferred to East Yorkshire Regt. 4th Hussars.— Arthure Lockwood Trevor-Boothe, in succession to Lieut. F. L. Duncan, transferred to Service Corps; Alan Ogilvie Francis, in succession to Lieut
26 October 1889 - Army and Navy Gazette - London, London, England"

mention also

".... Maria Boothe, and leaves all the residue of his property in trust equal shares for his said daughters and his son Arthur Lockwood Trevor Boothe.......
17 March 1893 - Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Man

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 27 Dec 2019 22:05

Yes, ErikaH and thank you. It seems that he remarried to Lillian. I think that the marriages 'helped' his financial situation!

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 27 Dec 2019 22:11

Thanks Rambling. I have the full transcript of his Will. The portion of the estate for ALTB is directed to be held by the Trustees and that if ALTB queries the Will in any way at any time, then as far as I can make out his portion is to be withheld from him. Guess he still wasn't too good with money ……..

Any more suggestions as to his route to bankruptcy, please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Dec 2019 10:29

Re finding bankruptcy records:

https://tinyurl.com/wmhg4jx

Includes this:

"The best place to start is to search the London Gazette, on The Gazette website, by name of bankrupt. This has notices published by officials to inform creditors about their proceedings.

If you have found an entry in the London Gazette you can try looking for bankruptcy case files at the National Archives but only very few survive.

If you cannot find a case file you will need to browse various register and enrolment series that will normally only provide brief formal entries. They will confirm if a bankruptcy took place, but will not provide much detail.

From 1842 district bankruptcy courts were established for cases outside London. Case files and some bankruptcy registers from these should be at local archives"

I can't see any mention of his bankruptcy in the London Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

As he doesn't seem to be on the 1891 or 1901 censuses, perhaps the bankruptcy was declared when he was abroad with the army - not sure if that would affect where the bankruptcy would be recorded.

However, from the National Archives paragraph above, it look unlikely that a record will have survived.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Dec 2019 10:57

From the London Gazette (not sure what these records actually are):-

Name of deceased:- Arthur Lockwood Trevor- Boothe,

Address, description and date of death of deceased:- The Corner House, Hindhead, Surrey, Major, 4th Hussars (Retired) 24* April, 1946.

Names, addresses and descriptions of Persons to whom notices of claims are to be
given and names, in parentheses, of Personal Representatives:- Bullock, Worthington & Jackson, 3, Cooper Street, Manchester 2, Solicitors. (Royal
Exchange Assurance.)

Date on or before which notices of claim to be given:- 16th November 1946.

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Dec 2019 11:09

Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

First name(s) Arthure Lockwood
Last name Trevor-Boothe
Service number -
Rank Captain
Regiment 35 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
Year 1899-1902
Biography -
Country Great Britain
Notes

Trevor-Boothe A L — — 1909 Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland

i dont have subs to open record

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Dec 2019 12:24

The London Gazette record posted by Kathleen (she says "not sure what these records actually are" ) is just the standard thing often put in newspapers (or used to be - I'm not aware of having seen any recently) - after someone's death, inviting creditors (if any) to lodge their claims with the relevant solicitors.
It's not necessarily an indication of the deceased person having any debts at the time of death.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Dec 2019 12:24

The petty court session record from Findmypast was a case where Arthur Lockwood Trevor-Boothe was convicted of having 2 unlicensed dogs in his custody and possession at Belmount in the County of Westmeath on 24th May 1909. He was convicted of the offence and ordered to pay a fine of 2 shillings and 1 shilling and 6 pence costs, and to take out a license for the dogs.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2019 12:31

Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers

First name(s) A L
Last name Trevor-Boothe
Year 1909
Date 29/05/1909
Role Defendant
Residence Belmont
Court Mullingar
County Westmeath
Country Ireland
Record set Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers
Category Institutions & organisations
Subcategory Courts & Legal
Collections from Ireland

Complainant was James Murphy - Sergeant - Constabulary
Cause of complaint - that the defendant had 2 unlicensed dogs unlawfully in his possession and custody at Belmont in the County of Westmeath on the 24th May 1909

Defendant was convicted of offence and ordered to pay the sum of 2/- and for costs the sum of 1/6 forthwith and in default of payment let said sums be levied by Distress and sale of Defendant's goods. Defendant ordered to take out a licence for said dogs forthwith. Stay on warrant for one week.

There may be more on the opposing page which appears not to have been copied.

Will try and send as an attachment to a PM - let me know if not received

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Dec 2019 12:33

The 1911 Irish census:-

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital status Age Birth year Birth place

Arthur Lockwood Trevor Boothe Head of Family Married 41 1870 Lancashire
Alice Trevor Boothe Wife Married 48 1863 Calcutta
Priscilla Young Servant Single 25 1886 Co Fermanagh
Kate Hart Servant Single 23 1888 Co Westmeath
Martin Moore Servant Single 21 1890 Co Carlow
Edward Geraty Servant Single 24 1887 Dublin
Kate Lynch Servant Single 35 1876 Co Meath
James Murphy Servant Single 26 1885 Dublin

Kath. x