Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who lived there

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 8 Jul 2020 16:53

Hi
I've tried to find who lived on 14 Princess Rd Ardwick in 1971 I got the Numeration district 26 but couldn't get any further
I have a Marriage for Henry Bennett and Mary Senior 1870 the address for Henry is 14 Princess St Ardwick I know he won't be there but their might be a relation
I have him in 1861 living with Robert Bennett aged 41 his wife Edith and 4 children and then Henry aged 12 adopted son, on his marriage certificate it has his father as David. GRO has his mother as Clews 1848
I've tried to follow Robert Bennett 1819 to see if he has a brother but not found one a couple of brothers his father was Matthias Thats if I got the right one
Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jul 2020 17:11

Presume you mean 1871?

Is the address Road or Street.?

Why don’t you find the names of his parents and look for them.?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jul 2020 17:16

I presume you mean in 1871 (not 1971 as stated in your post). Henry IS still there.

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Princess Street, Ardwick, Chorlton, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Henry Bennett Head - Male 22 1849 - Lancashire, England
Mary Bennett Wife - Female 22 1849 - Lancashire, England

On the image they are at number 14.

Kath. x

Sylann

Sylann Report 8 Jul 2020 17:46

Sorry I had that one never thought to look at the address ?? Thank you

I don't know his parents as I said only GRO MMN Clews and on his marriage father down as David Bennett so I have tried looking for a David Bennet but found nothing,

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jul 2020 17:55

Have you looked for a Bennett/Clews marriage?

Sylann

Sylann Report 8 Jul 2020 18:23

yes but I will look again I've just looked 1851 census for Henry Bennett, and for a David ,
Trying to understand the adoption was Henry a Bennett before he was adopted I was thinking on the lines that it was Robert's brothers child or sister but if I've got the right family he didn't have a brother David and I don't think he had a sister this info was on another tree?? so not sure I can use it

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jul 2020 18:34

Don't ever use info found on someone's tree!
At least not until you've checked everything yourself and found documentary proof.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jul 2020 18:44

You refer to a birth registration on the GRO site. How certain are you that it is for the Henry who married in 1870?

There was no formal adoption in those times, as I’m sure you are aware

How sure are you that the one you’ve found in 1861 is the right man?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jul 2020 19:00

I doubt very much if Bennett was the adopted son Henry's birth name.

On the 1861 census, as well as Henry the adopted son, there's also an adopted daughter, aged 7, born Birkenhead, only the initial C for her name.

There's no birth of any Bennett girl with name beginning with C in Wirral RD 1854+/-2.

(Well, there's a Clara in 1855, mms Taylor, and a Charlotte in 1852, mms Rimmer, but they're with their parents in later censuses.)

As for Henry's supposed father David - it was quite common for people who didn't know who their fathers were to invent a father for the sake of their marriage cert.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jul 2020 19:22

According to the marriage cert, David was a 'Maker up', and not deceased

No Bennett witnesses.

The Henry you've found in 1861 was a Braid Reeler

The one who married in 1871 was a Velvet Finisher.

Not sure how closely-linked the occupations might be, other than they're both obviously in the same industry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jul 2020 19:27

No Henry with Robert & family in 1851.

There are no other Bennett/Clews births in Hulme between 1837 and 1856

If Henry had been raised by Robert & his wife, one would have expected him to name Robert as his father when he married

Sylann

Sylann Report 9 Jul 2020 09:50

Sorry I've just come on and seen your replies Thank you
Yes I always try and verify what I see on other trees but some times it's a stating point
Your right I'm not sure if I'm following the right Henry, I usually check occupations when following some one also the rest of the family they are with
I didn't notice their was a girl adopted

I'll go through all you have sent and see if I can sort some thing out

Thank you

Sylann

Sylann Report 9 Jul 2020 10:09

Given that their is another child adopted I think your right in what you say his name possibly wasn't Bennett so I think the trail is at an end He wasn't a close ancestor father in law of gr aunt so it's no detriment to my tree

Thank you again for your help

Mary

Mary Report 11 Jul 2020 14:35

6/8/1848 St Matthew Lancs
Henry Bennett baptised by Caroline and Henry Bennett bricklayer of 33 Eltoft Street.

1.1.1849 marriage of Caroline Bennett spinster full age dad Henry a millwright to
DAVID Clives born 20/9/1829.His parents Benjamin Clives Army Sargeant and Margaret nee lee who also had a son Thomas Frederick Clives.

Caroline Bennett 1822 baptised by Henry and Alice Bennett.
This marriage could be them
Henry Bennett married Alice Clowes 15/2/1820 in Eccles lancashire
If Alice had caroline before marriage then Caroline would be Clowes/Clewes like on the birth register for Henry in 1848.

David Clives and Caroline baptised Caroline Alice Clives 25/12/1853 address 33,ELTOFT street and David was down as a Maker Up the same as on Henry's marriage to Mary E Senior

Your Henry had a daughter Caroline and she also had daughter Caroline.

I can't find Caroline and David in 1851 census as there were a lot in Ardwick damage by flood water I think,but there was one where you could only read David.

I hope you can follow this,but it certainly looks to me that it is your Henry.

Maryb.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2020 16:21

Just to get it clear in my head , Mary -

you're saying that Henry 1848 was Caroline 1822's illegitimate son, before she married David Clives, and she'd invented the child's father's name Henry?
She and David then had daughter Caroline 1853.

So if, for some reason, Robert and Edith Bennett "adopted" the children, that would fit with the 1861 census, with adopted son Henry and adopted daughter C.

Caroline and David also had a son Benjamin:

CLIVES, BENJAMIN mms BENNETT
GRO Reference: 1850 D Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 20 Page 177

Benjamin Clives
in the Manchester, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915
Name: Benjamin Clives
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1850
Baptism Date: 20 Nov 1850
Baptism Place: Manchester, St Simon and St Jude, Lancashire, England
Parish as it Appears: Manchester, St Simon and St Jude
Father: David Clives
Mother: Caroline Clives

He died:

CLIVES, BENJAMIN 5
GRO Reference: 1856 S Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 333

However, I don't see Henry's birth, nor Caroline 1853's. I see her baptism, not her birth.

Young Caroline's death ??

Caroline Clive
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915
Name: Caroline Clive
Estimated birth year: abt 1853
Registration Year: 1875
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 22
Registration district: Chorlton
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 4600

I suppose it's just possible that the Bennett/Clews birth for Henry is the correct one, with the names transposed by mistake, and Clives mis-spelled as Clews ??

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2020 16:24

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1849
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Year Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
BENNETT Caroline CLIVES David 1849 Hulme, Holy Trinity Archives+, Manchester Central Library 64/1/107
BENNETT Caroline OLIVES David 1849 Hulme, Holy Trinity Archives+, Manchester Central Library 64/1/107
CLIVES David BENNETT Caroline 1849 Hulme, Holy Trinity Archives+, Manchester Central Library 64/1/107
OLIVES David BENNETT Caroline 1849 Hulme, Holy Trinity Archives+, Manchester Central Library 64/1/107

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jul 2020 14:33

?????

First name(s) David
Last name Clives
Occupier's first name(s) David
Occupier's last name Clives
Owner's first name(s) Wm
Owner's last name Heap
Date 1851
Year 1851
House number 35
Address Jackson Street
Location Chorlton upon Medlock Township
Title of record Poor Rate Assessments
Archive reference M 10/9/5/31
Record set Manchester Rate Books 1706-1900
Category Census, land & surveys
Subcategory Rate Books

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jul 2020 14:36

First name(s) CAROLINE
Last name CLIVES
Age 38
Birth year 1822
Death year 1860
Death month Aug
Death day 24
Burial year -
Parish Union
Place -
County Lancashire
Country England
Union Chorlton
Workhouse Chorlton Union
Locality of record Manchester Withington Workhouse

Sylann

Sylann Report 12 Jul 2020 15:26

Sorry just checked thought we had finished Don't know what to make of this last bit the theory seems Ok but it's proving it I suppose it finding out who live at 33 Eltoft ? street in 1851 The Maker upper fits with Henry's marriage certificate

So is you can find out who lived at this address it could possibly help

Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jul 2020 15:57

James and Sarah Philips