Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lunacy asylums

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 25 Jul 2020 13:54

Hi please can anyone help me
Is there any where that gives out more information on someone been admitted to a lunacy asylum, I.e there date of birth etc,
I have found a Annie piercy from London lunacy admitting in1908 then 1908 to 1918 in Essex Asylum,
But how can I be sure this is my great grandma ??

<3 <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jul 2020 14:04

Can you find her in 1911 census?

This should give age and birthplace, which might help you decide if she is the correct person.
Sometimes though, in institutions, the information is not always accurate, but will be 'as known' to the person listing the inmates.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jul 2020 14:05

One thread per topic, please, Zoe

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1385867

I would think the only place to have any hope of getting more info would be at the Essex County Records Office.................when they re-open

Zoe

Zoe Report 25 Jul 2020 15:34

Hi Gwyn,
No the last time I can find anything on her definitely is 1903 when in the workhouse with her 2 children

Hi Erika
Sorry , I am very new to this, I had not realised.
Been new to all this would the county records office be on line or would I need to phone when they re open, I would love to go down to London myself but unfortunately I live in Northumberland

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jul 2020 15:39

I'm sure they would try to help if you phoned.........whenever they re-open, which may not be for some time, I fear

Good luck

EDITED

Found this, which might be worth looking at..............

https://www.essexrecordoffice.co.uk/research/

Zoe

Zoe Report 25 Jul 2020 16:49

Thank you , just had a quick look it re-opened 21st July. Going to phone them <3