Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sergt Haynes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 11:38

Just need a bit of help, I found a lovely letter from a

Sergt Haynes
199 company
Pioneer corp
Pembroke
S. Wales

the letter is signed Sergt Haynes - Bill

and it is to a Mrs Kidd

it is a sort of affectionate letter, but it might be just some close friend?

anyway would love to trace any living members of the family and send it to them, so if anyone can find Sergy Haynes for me from the details above and I can then go on and do the rest

Thank you in anticipation
:-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Oct 2020 11:42

Is there a date on the letter?

If the envelope is with it, where did Mrs Kidd live?

Is anyone else named in the letter?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Oct 2020 12:25

Records will not be online - unless he was a War Casualty, in which case there will be info on CWGC site

The Pioneer Corps wasn't formed until 1939

As the lady was apparently married, please be careful

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 14:24

Thanks for replies, yes I agree as it is a married lady I would be discreet, the address is as per my top post - but no address for mrs Kidd or envelope. There are lots of kisses in the letter but it starts to - My Dear Mrs Kidd I hope you don't mind me writing to you but I think it is my duty to write to you if only a few lines now and again. Please acceptmyy appreciation for you and your family keeping the flag flying

so maybe I am wrong about romance?

I can send a scan to anyone if they can message me?

it mentions give my love to Anne and Olive and your two boys, not much help

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 14:24

Oh and no date

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Oct 2020 14:32

Addressing her as 'Mrs' would rule out romance, I would imagine.

You say you 'found' the letter - any clues in where it was 'found'?

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 14:40

I bought a box of paperwork at a car boot in Frome on Sunday, it is so mixed up with no connection to anything else, there are railway drawings booklets, so probably from a house clearance the box only cost me £1 but as I do a lot of family history research I like to reunite things. There are several other tiny bits of very old paper in the box that I have already made a connection with the family members, not connected to this letter. I think the seller just gathered up lots of paperwork and put it together

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 14:41

The end of the letter says

Bye Bye Mrs Kidd

xxxxxxxxxx

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 14:43

and just above that there is another few sentences and

it says

I must close now Mrs Kidd fondest love from Sergt Haynes Bill

xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Oct 2020 15:05

Could she possibly be a landlady that he was billeted with?

Kath. x

Di

Di Report 27 Oct 2020 15:23

Good thinking Kath!

I think I will just have to wonder about this one as it is going to send every one batty with trying to work it out with so little information

but thanks everyone for your help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Oct 2020 15:32

ROYAL PIONEER CORPS: COMPANIES: 199 Company.
Ordering and viewing options
This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

You can order records in advance to be ready for you when you visit Kew. You will need a reader's ticket to do this. Or, you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you.

Order in advance Request a copy
Reference: WO 166/5683
Description:
ROYAL PIONEER CORPS: COMPANIES: 199 Company.

Date: 1940 Aug.- 1941 Dec.
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
Access conditions: Closed For 29 years

Di

Di Report 28 Oct 2020 05:26

oh thank you ErikaH !

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2020 08:19

Unfortunately it doesn't look as if there will be any records of individual men in that.

Sgt Haynes's name will only crop up if he did something noteworthy enough to be mentioned in the company's official diary.

Reference: WO 166
Title: War Office: Home Forces: War Diaries, Second World War
Description:
These war diaries contain the daily record of events, reports on operations and exercises, intelligence summaries, etc, of headquarters formations and divisional, regimental and other unit commanders stationed in the United Kingdom.
Date: 1930-1946

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14373

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2020 08:54

Could there have been a system where people could write or send presents to unknown service men.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2020 10:03

It doesn't sound as if Anne and Olive were Mrs Kidd's daughters - and there aren't likely Kidd births, as far as I can see - but they may have been Bill's contemporaries, and clearly Mrs Kidd knew them.

Bill sends Mrs Kidd "fondest love", so he wasn't writing to just a penfriend - he must have known her. Maybe she was a neighbour or friend of his parents, or maybe he had met her through Anne or Olive.

The landlady scenario which Kath suggested sounds feasible. Maybe Anne and Olive were fellow lodgers, of around his own age.

At that time, and even through most of the 1950's, people generally didn't call older people by their first names unless related, even if they knew them well.
I remember my mother called her neighbours, with whom she was on good friendly terms, Mr or Mrs Whoever, both when talking to them, and when talking about them to other people.

But maybe that was only a Scottish thing!

Di

Di Report 28 Oct 2020 10:21

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Oct 2020 11:33

Try contacting the Royal Pioneer Corps Association

http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/

Also have a Facebook presence

Di

Di Report 28 Oct 2020 16:29

Thanks greyghost! will try that

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Oct 2020 17:20

Calling people Mr. and Mrs. wasn't just a Scottish thing. I always called anyone older than me Mr. or Mrs before I was married (and even afterwards until they became very, very good friends and sometimes even after that.).

It was looked on as respectful.

I remember feeling really uncomfortable when hospital staff and doctors and such starting using your first name (thinking it was more friendly) and it took me ages to get used to it.

Kath. x