Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barry Edward Woods

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 17 Nov 2021 21:57

Hi
I am looking for my uncle Barry Edward Woods, or at least information on. He was born in fulham/Wandsworth london around April 1946 approx. He was adopted by Eileen and Frederick woods at a very young age.

Barry has a daughter who was called Anita Pepper born in 1963.

Barry was meant to of joined the marines in Deal, Kent at around the age of 18.

Any help would be most appreciated.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Nov 2021 22:03

Look for the full name in the Electoral Rolls on here

Presumably he wasn’t married to the woman who had his daughter, as he was only 16/17 years old

malyon

malyon Report 17 Nov 2021 22:39

barry could have married in 1967

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Nov 2021 22:52

Is this Frederick and Eileen

Marriages Dec 1940
Hicks Eileen L Woods Wandsworth 1d 1464
Woods Frederick T Hicks Wandsworth 1d. 1464

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Nov 2021 22:56

1939 register

25 Peabody Cotts, Lambeth, Lambeth, London, England

Marie J Savage (Hicks) 28 Mar 1888 Female Part Time Cook (Post Office) Widowed 25 1
Eileen L M Woods (Hicks) 09 Feb 1917 Female National Cash Accounting Operator Single 25 2
Cyril E Shuttleworth 19 Oct 1908 Male Outfitting (Sales Manager) Male Department Single 25 3
John G Savage 06 Apr 1887 Male Superintendent (Catering) Single 25

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Nov 2021 22:59

Birth

Births Mar 1917
Hicks Eileen L M Green Lambeth 1d 760

HICKS, EILEEN LILIAN MARIE GREEN
GRO Reference: 1917 M Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 760

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Nov 2021 23:01

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Eileen Lillian M Woods
Death Age: 76
Birth Date: 9 Feb 1917
Registration Date: Dec 1993
Registration District: Lambeth
Inferred County: Greater London
Register Number: F45
District and Subdistrict: 2411F
Entry Number: 299

Some time ago but maybe Barry was the informant

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2021 00:48

Welcome to the boards, Emma.

Are you hoping to find out where Barry is now?
Or are you wanting to know about his ancestors?
Your post isn't clear.

Unfortunately, as Woods is his adoptive name. and we don't know his birth name, we can't find out anything about his birth parents or other blood relatives.

Also unfortunately, there are several people called Barry Woods or Barry E Woods on the Electoral Rolls.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2021 08:31

There are two with the full name on the ER, hence my suggestion

Does the daughter know you have posted her details on here?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2021 08:57

The Barry Edward Woods on the ER with the London address isn't him.

That man was born 1969, per Companies House - Google his full name.

The other one, with the Surrey address, might be a possibility, as he's older. Age 65+, per ER on GR.
The Surrey address was last sold in 1995, per Zoopla.

Emma

Emma Report 18 Nov 2021 16:59

Hi all thank you for you keen interest.

Yes Anita is aware her details are on here as together we are trying to find her father. you are correct Barry was not married to Anita's mother.

Millicent Ethel Taylor (1925) is Barry's mother. She named him Barry Edward.
Millicent's older sister Eileen Woods (1915)(was Taylor) adopted Barry at a very young age and took over. Millicent does not remember registering Barry so it is possible he may be registered as Woods or Taylor by Eileen.

We are unsure of who Barry's father was.

Eileen and Frederick Woods were living in Wandsworth when Barry was adopted and Barry lived there until around the birth of his daughter (around 1963/64)

Eileen and Frederick woods had 3 children - Barbara, Derek and Daniel

Our aim is to:
Find Barry's birth certificate
Find Barry (if he is still alive)

Many thanks in advance, please ask if there is anything else that may be useful.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2021 17:30

If he was Barry Edward at birth, there's no sign of his birth as either Woods or Taylor.

There are births of several children named Barry, with other surnames and mmn Taylor, but none in Fulham or Wandsworth.

The only one (1940-50) with middle initial E was born in Amersham in 1945, with surname Taylor.

The only Wood/Taylor or Taylor/Taylor child registered in Fulham 1940-50 was Barbara.
There were several in Wandsworth , including Derek and Daniel - but none called Barry or Edward.

It's not clear from your posts whether (a) you have ever met Barry, (b) whether he knows he was adopted, (c) whether he knows he has a daughter - and so many other things which could cause great heart-ache and family trauma to both Barry and members of his present family if suddenly brought to light.

If you try writing to the Barry Edward with the Surrey address in the Electoral Roll , you need to tread EXTREMELY carefully and tactfully.

But he might be a completely different man.

ERs are under "Search" at the top right of this page.

Emma

Emma Report 18 Nov 2021 18:17

Hi thanks again for your input.
I personally have never met Barry. From paperwork that we do possess it suggests that Barry does know he was adopted. He is also aware of his daughters birth.

Thank you for your advice.

Emma

Emma Report 18 Nov 2021 18:37

And I agree it is a sensitive search indeed. We have been checking as much background information as possible to avoid as much trauma as possible. Unfortunately a majority of the family that would have been able to help have passed away. And we have only revealed the necessary information that may help us retrieve a birth certificate. But...we are now stuck.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2021 19:26

Was the child legally adopted?

Or was it an informal arrangement?

Emma

Emma Report 18 Nov 2021 19:34

I'm afraid I don't know.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2021 10:11

Did his natural mum later marry ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Nov 2021 12:19

Three trees on Ancestry have Millicent - although they wrongly give her YOB as 1920 (without proof - not surprisingly, as it's the wrong year).

She married in the last qr of 1948 in Wandsworth.

By strange coincidence, another Millicent Ethel Taylor was born and married in the London area in the same years and quarters as Emma's Millicent - but that one died in 1976.

Emma

Emma Report 19 Nov 2021 14:16

Millicent ethel Taylor was born 1925 and is very much alive bless her. She married James f Brace in 1948.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2021 14:59

So the marriage and death I posted for the adopted parents isn’t correct in view of the later info re Millicent

Earlier marriage!
Marriages Jun 1936
TAYLOR Eileen M Woods Wandsworth 1d 1136
Woods Frederick A Taylor Wandsworth 1d 1136