Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage William Morten to Sarah Foster 1833

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ken

Ken Report 17 Sep 2022 14:32

Could someone check a marriage of
William Morten to Sarah Foster @ St Peters, Nottingham
29th April 1833. Found it on Family Search but no image and does not give any details ie- ages, occupations, addresses, fathers name etc for either couple. These details will help when confirming births.
Thank You
Ken M

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Sep 2022 14:47

I have checked on Findmypast and there is no image there either. In any case, marriages from before civil registration usually gave no addresses (other than which parish the couple were from) and no fathers' names either.

You usually just got the date, names of couple and sometimes their parish, whether bachelor and spinster (or other marital status) and the names of the witnesses.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2022 14:50

Fathers’ names, and the couple’s ages and occupations are on marriage certs from 1st July 1837

There are no birth records before that date, either. Only baptisms

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2022 14:55

Have you found records for the couple after their marriage?

Ken

Ken Report 17 Sep 2022 15:30

YES have them on1851 census in Tunbridge Wells, Kent
luckily his wifes sister living there so got a maiden name , William is superintendent of police, have checked out daughter Mary, but no sign of daughter Sarah. Family missing after 1853 as Secretary of State issues 3 warrants for arrest of William for embezalling county funds and witness manipulating all well documented in the press.
My G/grandfather is there listed as nephew age 3, so trying to work back from there Possible birth/bap in 1813 also St Peters Nottingham
Ken M

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2022 15:37

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Town Hall, Tunbridge, Tonbridge, Kent, England
William Morton Head Married Male 38 1813 Superintendant of police Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Sarah Morton Wife Married Female 37 1814 - Leicestershire, England
Mary Morton Daughter - Female 8 1843 Scholar Marylebone, Middlesex, England
Sarah Morton Daughter - Female 4 1847 Scholar London, England
William Morton Nephew - Male 3 1848 Scholar Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
Mary Baster Sister Unmarried Female 23 1828 - Clifton, Nottinghamshire, England

Ken

Ken Report 17 Sep 2022 15:38

See also a post from me titled Baptism Mary Morten on 15th Sep
Ken M

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2022 15:40

Oh dear..........................

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1400682

Ken

Ken Report 18 Sep 2022 09:37

Thanks for all help, you are correct pre 1837 all records are very limited in any information.
I have been so absorbed in this search for a long time that I completely forgot about that ?
Thanks again
Ken M