Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dna results help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Nov 2022 08:25

hi i had a DNA test done and it says 57/9% scandinevan and 22/9% irish/scottish/welsh 18.4% greek/south italian and 0.8% English this was a surprise to me how can i find out more details on this information i e people etc?
many thanks for any help Gill
i did put apost on general chat about this

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2022 08:50

Gillian

The same people would be replying to this post as those that replied to your original post.

Read through your original post and read through the links I posted towards the end.

It would still be helpful to know which company you tested with.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Nov 2022 09:06

The only way to find out about the’ people’ is to carefully and thoroughly research your family history

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Nov 2022 09:08

my hertiage dna test done with

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2022 09:08

In your original thread you said you had gone back on both parents lines - how far back did you go?

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Nov 2022 09:09

I have researched some on family tree and i do not know which side this dna results come from as nobody alive to ask?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2022 09:42

Gillian
I asked how far back you have traced your family tree.

I assume now that you tested with My Heritage as Ancestry now spilts your heritage into each parent.

Have you 1st and second cousins on each side who would be willing to take a test?

Have you looked at the shared matches - that might help.

You are almost 24% British. It is just that the cmpnay has been able to identify several areas that youhave in your DNA. The island of Ireland was once British.

History plays a big role in your DNA heritage. Your Irish/Scots/Welsh may be down to the Celts moving across to the west. Your Scandinavian may be almost all Viking. For example, if I was to have children with someon of the same back ground we could pass on around 30% Scandi ( My Heritage result) which I know, because of history, that most of it is Viking.

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Nov 2022 11:19

i did not see parent spilt on my heritage ? DNA results i am not on ancestry traced family tree approx 1700 and 1800 hundred will have look and investigate more for place of birth thanks on genes but not on ancestry

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2022 11:47

Thanks.

MY Heritage seem not to have added the parental split that Ancestry is trialling.

I would have thought that if you have got all your lines back into the 1700’s you would have found a clue to your Scandinavian heritage.

If you have relatives from both sides willing to do a test you would be able to work out which parent gives you all the Scandi dna.

Do the matches on My Heritage not help?

Gillian

Gillian Report 20 Nov 2022 08:19

hi i have asked one distant relatives awaiting reply? even though i have gone back to 1700 cannot find birth will look more deeply thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Nov 2022 08:56

Hopefully your relative will agree.

But you do have to bear in mind that the person named as a father might not actually be the father.

Gillian

Gillian Report 20 Nov 2022 10:49

looked back at family born 1864 area all london based ? dont know where to start looking for births abroad ? on genes so if i cannot find anything will just have to hope relatives comes up with something thanks for all reply

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Nov 2022 12:10

Are the family on the census?. Does it say where they were born? You can’t look for families abroad unless you know where they come from.

Genes is not the greatest place to do research, not many on here use it. Family Search.org is a free website which you should find very helpful for both UK and some other countries, but you will need to register. Other good free websites are www.freebmd.org.uk for births marriages and deaths. www.freereg.org.uk for some parish registers.
You can also register on the GRO website - this is where you can buy certificates and you can also now find mothers maiden names.
Libraries usually have free access to Ancestry or occasionally FindMyPast.

Added: have you checked the names you have against other trees . You’ll find those via the Search button near the top of the page.

Gillian

Gillian Report 20 Nov 2022 14:00

hi checked on census looked up Sarah grinonneau born st george east London will try other websites thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Nov 2022 14:50

That is a French name and there are several Sarah Grinonneaus connected to Bethnal Green.
The Grinonneaus are likely to go back a long way and would have been Huguenot immigrants.

Gillian

Gillian Report 21 Nov 2022 08:58

thanks for info i thought it was French?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Nov 2022 12:08

I assume you're asking a question, as you've put a question mark at the end of your sentence.

Yes, the Huguenots were French.
They were French Protestants who were persecuted in France, and fled to many countries including England round about the 1700s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenots#Great_Britain_and_Ireland

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Nov 2022 13:09

If you scroll down to the end of the article you will find a link to the Huguenot society of the UK.

The Huguenots in north London kept themselves to themselves with French Churches and a French Hospital. The latter survived into the 20th century.

I did point out that history plays a big roll in your mix of dna. If your Huguenots came from northern France, particularly Normandy, then that is where some of your Scandinavian dna comes from. The Normans from Normandy were Viking. If they came from the south of France then you have to consider the traders of the Mediterranean for your Greek/ Italian. You won’t have a lot of French matches as it is illegal for the French to take dna tests. Although do get around it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Nov 2022 14:26

A couple of results - the are numerous others on Ancestry

Name: James Grinnonneaw
Birth Year: abt 1731
Event Date: 29 Jul 1753
Parish: Christchurch
County: Middlesex
Spouse's Name: Jane Poulain
Spouse's Age: 20
Spouse's Parish: St Matthew Beth Nal Green
Spouse's County: Middlesex
Event Type: Allegation

Name: Jacques James Grinonneau
Birth Date: 1731
Birth Place: Spitalfields, London, London, England, United Kingdom
Death Date: 1770
Death Place: St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex, London, England, United Kingdom
Father: Jean Grinonneau
Mother: Marie Constance Hanat
Spouse: Jeanne Catherine Jane Poulain
Child:
Thomas Grinonneau
James Grinonneau
Jane Magdalene Grinonneau
John Robert Grinonneau
John Grinonneau
Samuel Grinonneau

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Nov 2022 14:50

The sarah registered in St George in the East is the daughter of John (1840-1902) and Elizabeth Blake (1841-1930).

It might be worth taking out a free trial with Ancestry ( don't forget to cancel otherwise you will get charged) as there is a tree with this sarah on going back to a marriage in Spitalfields(London) in 1689 and then further back to central France.

You need to be sure that your research back to Sarah is correct.