Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joan Burton

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ashleigh

Ashleigh Report 25 Jun 2023 01:55

Hi There people,
Would any body have any history on a lady called Joan Burton of South Manchester, she was a very good oil painting artist. Born 1928, died 2006, had a son called simon and a daughter called janice..that i know of..

Thanks
Ash

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2023 07:09

Have you tried googling?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2023 07:29

I see both births surname tritton but there doesn’t seem to be a marriage for Joan to a mr tritton

Why not ask Simon as you seem to be connected!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2023 07:31

Possible birth

Births Mar 1928
Burton Joan Malcolm Manchester S. 8d 14

Her death cert shouid show her birthdate

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2023 07:41

1921 census

1921 Census Of England & Wales
26, Spruce Street, Hulme, South Manchester, Lancashire, England

Household members (4 people)

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
Frank Burton Head Male 1894 27 Hulme, Lancashire, England Druggist Sundriesman Assistant Ralph Milliner Drugist Sundrisman
Emma Burton Wife Female 1890 30 Seedley, Lancashire, England Home Duties -
Leslie Burton Son Male 1916 4 Hulme, Lancashire, England - -
Stanley Burton Son Male 1920 1 Hulme, Lancashire, England - -

Marriage

Marriages Dec 1915
Burton Frank Malcolm Barton I. 8c 1278
Malcolm Emma Burton Barton I. 8c 1278

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2023 07:59

Or

Marriages Jun 1927
Barker Charlotte Burton Manchester S. 8d 120
Burton Joseph Barker Manchester S. 8d 120

Births Jun 1928
Burton Joan Barker Manchester S. 8d 144

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 09:15

Google for career info - use freebmd for family info

What exactly are you looking for?

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Jun 2023 09:24

She was married before:

Marriages Sep 1957
JONES Joan TRITTON Manchester 10e 950
TRITTON Douglas G JONES Manchester 10e 950

and?

Marriages Mar 1948
Burton Joan Jones Manchester 10e 189
Jones Alan Burton Manchester 10e 189

Possible birth in Manchester for the first marriage.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Jun 2023 09:29

Name Joan Burton
Event Type Death
Event Date Dec 2006
Event Place Manchester, Lancashire, England
Registration District Manchester
Page J86B
Volume 0061J
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 2006
******Birth Date 07 Mar 1928

So either of the births Shirley provided could fit.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 11:26

Tritton
Douglas Gordon
24/07/1930
02/04/1999
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Manchester

Look at poster's name for relevance

Births Sep 1930 (>99%)
Tritton Douglas G Gamble Manchester S. 8d 323

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 11:48

The poster is on the ER at the same address as Joan, Janice and Simon in 2002-3

Ashleigh

Ashleigh Report 25 Jun 2023 16:10

Wow what a lovely response, thankyou for all the speedy replies. I am no longer able to get information from Simon and Janice, they dont talk about it much and it is very hard to get any contact anymore. I live in Canada now. I used to live with my nanna Joan, but never did ask her history- wish i did. I have googled and tried AI chat GPT bots to no avail. I believe she had an uncle Stan, maybe from Gorton area, my grandad i never recall meeting but his name was Douglas. Would be nice to see the ancestry line, but i think she had other marriages and had a different name, that part is unclear. I have last address lived for her and i know she lived in 2 other places in south manchester before that while i was in england. Birth and death by day and month are correct born 7 march 1928, passed 15 dec 2006. Maybe your on the right path with tge 2 marriages as jones then burton , im confused on which is the birth name. Kinda new to this. Your guys response are great, i have a little credit on here, i will try look into your information.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 16:21

Birth name BURTON, as you will see if you look at Simon and Janice's births on freebmd

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you order a copy of her marriage cert, you'll find out her father's name, which is vital, as there are two births which could be hers - posted above by one of the helpers.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jun 2023 16:29

I think you are the first person to say they use a cthatbot on here.

There is a free website which is very good www.freebmd.org.uk

Certificates should only be purchased through the GRO at www.gro.gov.uk, if mothers maiden names on not listed on freebmd than you can find them on the GRO website.
The Family Search website is also free.

Maybe a free trial at one of the family history websites such as Ancestry or Find my past might be worth a go. But remember to cancel before the trial is up.

Apologies for the links, I am on an iPad and it doesn’t always allow them properly.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 16:35

Confirmation that she'd been married before she married Douglas

BURTON Joan TRITTON Douglas G 1957 Rusholme, Roby Congregational Chapel (now Roby URC), Dickenson Road Manchester 229/5/99
JONES Joan TRITTON Douglas G 1957 Rusholme, Roby Congregational Chapel (now Roby URC), Dickenson Road Manchester 229/5/99
TRITTON Douglas G BURTON Joan 1957 Rusholme, Roby Congregational Chapel (now Roby URC), Dickenson Road Manchester 229/5/99
TRITTON Douglas G JONES Joan 1957 Rusholme, Roby Congregational Chapel (now Roby URC), Dickenson Road Manchester 229/5/99

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 16:45

Douglas is in the GR tree of a member other than you................try making contact

Ashleigh

Ashleigh Report 25 Jun 2023 16:58

I did look back from the only information i got from Janice her daughter- douglas gordon tritton my grandad, joe burton, great grandad, charlotte burton great gran. She said " not too well informed on my fathers side, his mum owned a shop that made herbal remedies, there was something that wasn't allowed to be mentioned about the italian living there as a lodger " maybe her dads dads real dad. Im surprised i cant find any of her artwork in the exhibitions she had in manchester, i remember a small art exhibit in altrincham she had her work at. It maybe a secret life she had with the marriages and war going on, maybe never will find out.
Excellent information, what is the GR tree? Sorry for my lack of knowledge to this site.

i will check out the above

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 17:06

Look at the top right and see 'Search'. Click on it, then look at the drop-down menu.

Click on 'search all member trees'.....

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 17:10

Based on your info, the marriage posted yesterday at 07.59 is that of Joan's parents..................which makes her birth the one posted immediately below it

1939 Register
2 Vermon Street,Gorton, Leigh, Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England
Joseph Burton 12 Sep 1901 Male ??? Married 1 1
Charlotte Burton 20 Apr 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 1 2
Mary Barker 18 May 1874 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 1 3

However, there are no closed records, so one has to wonder where Joan was..............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2023 17:18

BUT.......you know all this already, as the info is in your tree on ANCESTRY