Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841-1901 Census Look Ups Here, Thread 5.NOW FULL-

Page 0 + 1 of 20

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 8 Sep 2006 21:14

will be around most nights, so please leave me as much info as you have got and i'll try and help you smash those brick walls down, lol (NO PERSONAL MESSAGES please - i will ignore them, even though i hate being rude !!!)

Anna

Anna Report 8 Sep 2006 21:20

Thanks very much Jane.

Anna

Anna Report 8 Sep 2006 21:22

Could you now please mind Mary and her husband John Welch in the 1861/61 census please? She was born in 1826, presumably in Sawtry. Thanks, Anna

Jane

Jane Report 8 Sep 2006 21:34

Hi Anna you're very welcome, now...not sure you'll be expecting this one for 1851: Mary Welch Age: 25 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826 Relation: Prisoner In Custody Gender: Female Where born: Sawley, Huntingdonshire, England Civil parish: Great Stukeley County/Island: Huntingdonshire Country: England Condition as to marriage: MARRIED Registration district: Huntingdon Sub-registration district: Ramsey ED, institution, or vessel: 9 1861 Green End Rd Elizabeth Freeman abt 1805 Woodwalton, Huntingdonshire, England Mother Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonsh MARRIED James Buck abt 1840 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Lodger Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire Jane Buck abt 1842 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Lodger Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire George Welch abt 1844 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Son Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire Martha A Welch abt 1855 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Daughter Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire **Mary A Welch abt 1825 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Head Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire WIDOW Hope it helps Jane

Anna

Anna Report 8 Sep 2006 21:48

Blimey! I think that Mary had been a naughty girl on several counts- she was widowed by 1861, yet her son was born in 1862. I think her husband died in 1854! (That's the only Charles Welch death I can find.) In both the 1861 and the 1881 (when she is with son James Buck) census Mary's mother goes by the name Elizabeth Freeman. It seems a bit odd as her married name was Buck. If she was remarried and became a Freeman, then where is the husband? Was it common for women to use their maiden name if they were widowed? Anna

Jane

Jane Report 8 Sep 2006 21:54

Anna lol, you've got the naughty girl then eh, at least makes it a bit more interesting !!! now with Marys mother Elizabeth: found her in 1871 Elizabeth Freeman abt 1804 Woodwalton, Huntingdonshire, England Wife Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire Thomas Freeman abt 1816 Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England Head Sawtry All Saints Huntingdonshire WITH HUSBAND !!!!! She must have remarried at some point, when i don't know , lol Jane

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Sep 2006 21:55

hi jane, could you please look up an address for a thomas mairs aged 16 in 1901 census,parents annie and james mairs,west derby liverpool, could you also look up an address for a margaret ann logue, also lpool 1901 dont know her parents names. thanks suexxx

Jane

Jane Report 8 Sep 2006 22:05

Hi Sue, 1901 24 Albert st Annie Mairs abt 1862 Ireland Wife West Derby Lancashire Catherine Mairs , abt 1887 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter West Derby Lancashire James Mairs abt 1861 Ireland Head West Derby Lancashire HOUSEKEEPER/GROOM Thomas Mairs ,abt 1885 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son West Derby Lancashire and hope this is the one you are after: 1901 22 Blake st, Mount Pleasant, Liverpool Ann Jane Caffrey 44 wife, Liverpool Elizabeth Caffrey 8 dau Liverpool Joseph Caffrey 45 head house painter, Ireland Ellen Logue 11 step dau Liverpool Margaret Logue 15 step dau Liverpool Matilda Logue 20 step dau Liverpool Jane

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Sep 2006 22:07

thank you jane ,thats my family, both of them. cant thank you enough.xxx

Anna

Anna Report 8 Sep 2006 22:22

Cheers Jane This is the first bit of juicy gossip I've come across in the family- you've made my day!

GenieAngel

GenieAngel Report 9 Sep 2006 06:13

Hi Jane, Thank you so very much for looking I was hoping for a more positive result. :o{ Oh well you can't win them all. I have a couple more challenging ones for you to get your teeth into. !!! Could you please lookup in the 1841 census. Esther Tose b ca 1816 Sowerby by Thirsk, Yorkshire. and in the 1841, 1851, 1861 census please: an Esther Swansborough b ca 1775 of Camerton, Somerset. This lady died in 1865 aged 90 I am hoping to connect her to my GG grandmother Esther Swanbury also of Camerton Thank you so much for all you hard work Liz x

Jane

Jane Report 9 Sep 2006 15:00

Hey Liz, now , part 1: are you sure Esther Tose was married in 1841?? found these years. 1881 England Census Record Census View Image Name: Esther Tose Birth: abt 1821 - Carlton Miniott, Yorkshire, England Residence: 1881 - Sowerby in Thirsk, Yorkshire, England 1861 England Census Record Census View Image Name: Esther Lose WIDOW Birth: abt 1823 - Carlton Miniott, Yorkshire, England Residence: 1861 - Sowerby, Sowerby, Yorkshire, England 1871 England Census Record Census View Image Name: Esther Jose Birth: abt 1826 - Carlton Miniott, Yorkshire, England Residence: 1871 - Everton, Lancashire, England and in 1861, eldest child was born in 1852. Esther being a widow also in 1861. or is Tose her maiden name, and was just lying on census??? part 2 1861 Elizabeth Richardson ,abt 1850 Dunkerton, Somerset, England Daughter Dunkerton Somerset George Richardson abt 1821 Dunkerton, Somerset, England Head Dunkerton Somerset Susana Richardson ,abt 1810 Dunkerton, Somerset, England Wife Dunkerton Somerset William Richardson ,abt 1847 Dunkerton, Somerset, England Son Dunkerton Somerset Hester Swansbury abt 1777 Dunkerton, Somerset, England Mother-in-law Dunkerton Somerset thats the only one i can find her in though, sorry.......... hope it helps Jane

Jane

Jane Report 9 Sep 2006 16:43

Hi Iggy, tricky with a name like Brown, lol but think this is 1861: High st Harriet Brown abt 1830 Burton on Treet, Staffordshire, England Wife Sedgley Staffordshire Harriott A Brown abt 1860 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Daughter Sedgley Staffordshire James Brown abt 1833 Grayton, Staffordshire, England Head Sedgley Staffordshire BLACKSMITH John Brown abt 1858 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire Joseph Nicklin abt 1841 Bilston, Staffordshire, England Lodger Sedgley Staffordshire Marriages Sep 1855 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brown James Wolstanton 6b 160 Sproston Harriet Wolstanton 6b 160 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Sep 1857 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brown James W. Bromwich 6b 764 Green Harriet W Bromwich 6b 764 if put on the spot and had to choose which couple is yours, i would say the 1857 marriage as there is a James & Harriet Brown in 1861 living in Wolstanton, which is district for 1st marriage, also 1857 is only 1 year before their 1st child born, which is quite usual !! but i'm only guessing, lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope it helps Jane

Polly

Polly Report 9 Sep 2006 17:35

Hello Jane. Thanks for the offer. I would like help with the 1871 census. Looking for James Owen born abt 1822 Bolton he was a Stonemason, his wife Isabella born abt 1834 Clapham Yorkshire, children Elizabeth & Richard Albert born abt 1867 & 1868 Carnforth Lancs. On the 1881 Isabella was a widow also mis transcribed as OLIVER. Can you find them please another son born July quarter in Carnforth. Thankyou Polly

Hannah

Hannah Report 9 Sep 2006 17:45

Hi Jane, Please could you look up a Matthias Mecklenburgh on 1861 census? Probably in Dovercourt, Essex. He should be living with a Sarah Mecklenburgh born 1842. Many Thanks, Hannah

Jane

Jane Report 9 Sep 2006 19:47

Hi Polly am struggling with 1871 at the minute, but found 1861 if its any use to you: Annas Holgate abt 1824 Kendal, Westmorland, England Wife Sedbergh Yorkshire William Holgate abt 1823 Settle, Yorkshire, England Head Sedbergh Yorkshire Isabella Owen abt 1835 Clapham, Yorkshire, England Servant Sedbergh Yorkshire James Owen abt 1823 Bolton le Mons, Lancashire, England Boarder Sedbergh Yorkshire RAILWAY LABOURER and i have searched the 1871 for HOURS........ and i think i know everybody in Carnforth personally now !!! but unfortunately not your Owens............ sorry Jane

Jane

Jane Report 9 Sep 2006 19:59

Hi Anne, 1851 ....... Gate Ann Croser abt 1842 Rillington, Yorkshire, England Daughter Rillington Yorkshire Charles Croser abt 1849 Rillington, Yorkshire, England Son Rillington Yorkshire Jane Croser abt 1805 Sherburn, Yorkshire, England Wife Rillington Yorkshire Matthew Croser abt 1845 Rillington, Yorkshire, England Son Rillington Yorkshire Willm Croser abt 1800 Thorp Basset, Yorkshire, England Head Rillington Yorkshire AG LAB but no sign in 1841, sorry Jane

Jane

Jane Report 9 Sep 2006 20:06

Hi Hannah, is this him in 1861? Military Rd Matthas Mecklingburgh abt 1800 Earl Bergholt, Suffolk, England Head Colchester St Botolph Essex MILLER/ JOURNEYMAN Sarah Mecklingburgh abt 1842 Purleigh, Essex, England Wife(crossed out and dau written in) Colchester St Botolph Essex DRESSMAKER Jane

Polly

Polly Report 9 Sep 2006 21:26

Hi Jane What a surprise in the 1861 census, Isabella being down as Owen when in fact they did not marry till 1866, I have the cert. It looks like them for sure. Thanks for the look up of the 1871, so sorry to waste your time, but many many thanks. Polly

**chrispy**

**chrispy** Report 9 Sep 2006 21:32

Hi Thanks for trying to find the Clifford family (on your thread 4.) I don't think they would all have died but I will try to check it out. Thanks again Chris